The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Chrysler Makes Eminem ad into clothing Line

Check here for the latest Eminem/Shady Records related news. Also, downloadable media along with important news on the Shady sites.

Chrysler Makes Eminem ad into clothing Line

Postby embm » Mar 16th, '11, 19:46

Last Updated: March 16. 2011 1:00AM
Chrysler parlays 'Imported from Detroit' Eminem ad into clothing line
Chrysler parlays iconic Eminem ad into line of clothing
Christina Rogers / The Detroit News

Chrysler Group LLC's "Imported from Detroit" tagline, launched with what became a wildly popular Eminem Super Bowl ad, is now available on T-shirts, sweatshirts and even an infant onesie.

The Auburn Hills-based automaker said Tuesday it hopes to parlay the recent success of the two-minute commercial into a full-blown merchandise line.

Each item, available at chrysler.com, bears the "Imported from Detroit" logo, with an image of the Joe Louis fist that appears in the "Born of Fire" ad, holding what appears to be the a Chrysler hood ornament.

Chrysler plans to give some money generated from merchandise sales to local charities, including the Boys & Girls Club of Southeastern Michigan, Habitat for Humanity Detroit, and Eminem's charity, The Marshall Mathers Foundation.

"The objective of the 'Born of Fire' commercial was intended to generate a conversation about the Chrysler brand and the new 2011 Chrysler 200," Olivier Francois, head of the Chrysler brand, said in a statement.

"We are humbled at the thought that the conversation continues and is generating a spark throughout the country."

The $9 million Super Bowl ad was a bigger-than-expected hit, and a tribute to a city that bore the economic brunt of the automaker's 2009 bankruptcy.

The commercial, created by Wieden + Kennedy, of Portland, Ore., was crafted to help re-build Chrysler's luxury image, but it soon became apparent it was much more than that, stoking water cooler buzz and generating more than a million hits on YouTube.

The agency has sought to keep the message alive with 30- and 60-second spots for the Chrysler brand.

"They've found out this campaign has a life all its own," said Mike Bernacchi, a marketing professor at University of Detroit Mercy. "I can understand why they'd strike while the iron is hot. It's a great idea and positive buzz."

Bernacchi said it's not unusual for automaker tag lines to catch on — think Dodge's "Ram tough" and Saturn's "A different kind of car company."

But he couldn't recall another instance in which an automaker had used an ad slogan to inspire a line of merchandise.

The move isn't entirely without risk, though.

Detroit's image is enjoying somewhat of a lift lately, Bernacchi said, thanks to improving auto industry fortunes, but the tide could quickly change.

crogers@detnews.com
(313) 222-2401
From The Detroit News:

http://detnews.com/article/20110316/AUT ... 1148/rss25
embm
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Re: Chrysler Makes Eminem ad into clothing Line

Postby Dallas22 » Mar 24th, '11, 00:52

Gotta get me one.. haha
Dallas22
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Re: Chrysler Makes Eminem ad into clothing Line

Postby Emadyville » Mar 24th, '11, 03:59

Dallas22 wrote:Gotta get me one.. haha

online im guessin, hit it up dallas, I was gunna look into this eventually myself :smoking:
Menzo wrote:Its cuz you're dope and Daddy Dubs. No one fucks with that

I love you Daren
Emadyville
Django
Django

Return to Eminem News and Site Updates