The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Ex-Metroid Prime Dev Thinks His Games Suck

Discuss the world of gaming here, from Gameboy to Playstation 3.

Ex-Metroid Prime Dev Thinks His Games Suck

Postby Chet Starr » Apr 23rd, '13, 11:13

The Metroid Prime games are widely considered one of the great modern gaming trilogies, but someone who worked very intimately on those games begs to differ. In a conversation with Game Informer, Mark Pacini – ex-lead designer of Retro Studios – spoke very candidly about what he thought of the games he helped create.

“I never played any of the Metroid games after they were done, just because I was just so sick of them,” Pacini admitted to Game Informer. “When you work on something for two years straight, and play it for two years straight, it’s really hard to go back and distance yourself from it.” Pacini’s new studio, a 30-person outfit called Armature partially made up of ex-Retro employees, is currently toiling away on Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate, a Nintendo 3DS and PlayStation Vita Metroidvania-style game set to release this fall.

He later went on to note that he “hope[s] we don’t disappoint [Metroid Prime fans],” when the game finally comes out. “That’s always my fear, because I think everything we do sucks,” he continued. “But that’s just me because I thought all the Prime games suck. At the end of the day all I see are all the bad things… It is the same thing here with the Arkham game. All I see at this point, because we are knee deep, we’re in the woods right now in development, and all I see is all the crap that’s wrong with it.”

Worry not, Mr. Pacini. Most gamers don’t agree that the Metroid Prime series “sucks.” Here at IGN, we gave the original Metroid Prime a 9.8, Metroid Prime 2 a 9.5 and Metroid Prime 3 a 9.5.

The good news? "In my gut I feel like, yeah, [Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate is] going to be cool," Pacini said. "I’m excited for it. But at the same time, I hope we don’t disappoint people and I hope that they like it. We’re trying our hardest. I would like to play a game like this, so hopefully everyone else will, too."

In anycase, this seems like a classic case of being overly self-critical, but considering the high caliber of his games so far, he clearly sets the bar very high.

Sauce

That Metroid/Batman games sounds like a pure orgasm to me.
CSPRODUCTIONS918
#YellowChetTeam
Chet Starr
Role Model
Role Model

Re: Ex-Metroid Prime Dev Thinks His Games Suck

Postby tadpole25 » Apr 23rd, '13, 18:26

Metroid Prime 1 is easily one of the best games of it's generation.

Metroid Prime 2 and 3 both had some flaws, they were both great solid games.

Honestly, MP1 is my favorite Metroid game and I prefer the Metroid Prime series over the rest of the Metroid series.
"I take yall diss as endearment - I love it when I hear it
Maybe words offensive - free speech I don't fear it
Maybe music can take us to a place so atmospheric
Beyond our greatest imagination, illuminatin' experience
If we open our ears and close our inhibitions, it's clear"
- Tadpole
tadpole25
Soldier
Soldier

Postby viJilance » Apr 25th, '13, 07:00

tadpole25 wrote:Metroid Prime 1 is easily one of the best games of it's generation.

Metroid Prime 2 and 3 both had some flaws, they were both great solid games..

I disagree, good sir. sub-par at best.

Nothing wrong with the original formula. super metroid was far superior. I feel they went and crapped up the Fps / Adventure genre, and made it very possible, & plausible, to have those kinds of games off computers (mouse and keyboard) and onto home consoles (controller), essentially flooding the market and leaving a bad taste in all our mouths.
Fuck all of you 1990's faggots. 1989 master race reporting in.

viJilance
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Atone » Apr 25th, '13, 09:37

lmao, as i read this, my ps3 just randomly turned itself on,

even weirder, it just turned itself off,

on topic tho, y'all keep talkin about games on here that i have never even heard of, where the fuck do you get your games at? lol

wait, are y'all even in the same country as me? do they have different games in different countries?
Atone
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby viJilance » Apr 25th, '13, 19:54

Atone wrote:lmao, as i read this, my ps3 just randomly turned itself on,

even weirder, it just turned itself off,

on topic tho, y'all keep talkin about games on here that i have never even heard of, where the fuck do you get your games at? lol

wait, are y'all even in the same country as me? do they have different games in different countries?

https://www.videogamesplus.ca :worship:

http://www.wegotgame.ca :coolthumb:

http://www.ebgames.ca/ :argue:

viJilance
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Atone » Apr 26th, '13, 00:58

Oh shit those weird ass Final Fantasy type games? yea i don't fuck with that genre
Atone
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby viJilance » Apr 26th, '13, 01:20

Atone wrote:Oh shit those weird ass Final Fantasy type games? yea i don't fuck with that genre

Nah more like alien space shooter in 1st person, (Halo) but the original formula was a side scroller maze like Castlevania.

viJilance
Soldier
Soldier

Return to Gaming Spot