The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Disney awards 'Star Wars' video-game rights to EA

Discuss the world of gaming here, from Gameboy to Playstation 3.

Disney awards 'Star Wars' video-game rights to EA

Postby 12characters » May 8th, '13, 21:29

http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/06/tech/gami ... -games-ea/

(CNN) -- Electronic Arts will be the exclusive provider of games based on the Star Wars series, Disney and the game developer announced jointly on Monday.
Following Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm last year, it shut down the LucasArts game development division, indicating its preference to license console games rather than develop them in-house. Now, Electronic Arts will be the only publisher creating Star Wars games for a "core gaming audience," according to today's press release.
Electronic Arts said that its in-house game teams DICE (Battlefield) and Visceral (Dead Space) will work on Star Wars titles, in addition to BioWare, the team behind EA's existing Star Wars MMO The Old Republic.
Meanwhile, Disney will "retain certain rights to develop new titles within the mobile, social, tablet and online game categories."
My initial take: While this might seem like a great arrangement for Electronic Arts and Disney, I cannot see how taking away the element of competition will be good for the quality of Star Wars games.
Individually licensing out Star Wars games to different publishers and developers might have ushered in a variety of creative ideas and directions for the franchise, but locking out anyone that isn't affiliated with Electronic Arts seems like a commitment to the same old, same old.
"Every developer dreams of creating games for the Star Wars universe," said EA Labels President Frank Gibeau.
And now, unless they go work at EA, they can't.

So much greatness could be made here, but knowing EA they'll try to hinder any enjoyment that can be had with these games the best they can. But to quote this video that basically sums up my thoughts (here);

"Basically, EA would have to work very hard to fuck this game up enough for me to not like it, but they are EA so you never know".
Golden God!Image
CanadaPure wrote:I'd fuck 12Characters
12characters
Role Model
Role Model

Re: Disney awards 'Star Wars' video-game rights to EA

Postby DƎRDYPK » May 8th, '13, 21:38

crazy shit
DƎRDYPK
Stanmilton
Stanmilton

Postby eXceL » May 8th, '13, 23:07

it is surprising that EA is still in business after the consistent stream of shit they have released
eXceL
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby 12characters » May 8th, '13, 23:15

eXceL wrote:it is surprising that EA is still in business after the consistent stream of shit they have released

They have good developers under them tbh.
Golden God!Image
12characters
Role Model
Role Model

Postby PAINKILLƎR » May 9th, '13, 07:31

I suppose this is good? Last Star Wars game I owned was battlefront II and I loved it tbh.
PAINKILLƎR
Slumerican
Slumerican

Postby 12characters » May 9th, '13, 07:33

PAINKILLƎR wrote:I suppose this is good? Last Star Wars game I owned was battlefront II and I loved it tbh.

Since you're still up, watch some of the footage of "Star Wars 1313" and tell me that doesn't look dope. It was canceled, but hopefully EA picked it up.
Golden God!Image
12characters
Role Model
Role Model

Postby PAINKILLƎR » May 9th, '13, 07:37

12characters wrote:
PAINKILLƎR wrote:I suppose this is good? Last Star Wars game I owned was battlefront II and I loved it tbh.

Since you're still up, watch some of the footage of "Star Wars 1313" and tell me that doesn't look dope. It was canceled, but hopefully EA picked it up.

Oh yeah I've seen videos for 1313 hen they did presentations, and It looked incredible. Too bad it's only for pc, I don't really game on the computer. But no doubt that shit looked cray nahmean?
PAINKILLƎR
Slumerican
Slumerican

Postby 12characters » May 9th, '13, 07:51

PAINKILLƎR wrote:
12characters wrote:

Oh yeah I've seen videos for 1313 hen they did presentations, and It looked incredible. Too bad it's only for pc, I don't really game on the computer. But no doubt that shit looked cray nahmean?

I feel you, I was just saying that there's some real potential here.
Golden God!Image
12characters
Role Model
Role Model

Postby PAINKILLƎR » May 9th, '13, 07:55

Oh definitely, agree 100%.
PAINKILLƎR
Slumerican
Slumerican

Postby KaZer » May 10th, '13, 15:50

PAINKILLƎR wrote:Oh definitely, agree 100%.

Hopefully They will bring back a sequel for The Force unleashed 3, I thought the game was the shit.

#JMT&AotP #TRmetal
KaZer
Soldier
Soldier

Return to Gaming Spot