The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Google Rumored to Be Developing Android Console,

Discuss the world of gaming here, from Gameboy to Playstation 3.

Re: Google Rumored to Be Developing Android Console,

Postby Spyder » Jun 28th, '13, 20:04

Hopefully they learn from mistakes the Xbox one and ps4 made. Maybe one playing online without paying.

I'm surprised Apple hasn't jumped on bored yet
ImageImageImage
Spyder
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby AbramIsaac » Jun 28th, '13, 20:18

Well, it's important to keep in mind that any Android-based console isn't going to be meant to compete with the Xbox One or PS4 in terms of serious gaming. If I had to make a guess, we'll be looking at something more akin to a media center box, that will offer streaming services and already-existing Android games. Casual gaming, like you would do on your phone, and Netflix/Hulu/Google Play services. Something that will make your TV act more like a Smart TV.

Not a bad idea at all. :y:
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

"Poison the well, your enemies are thirsty!" — Modest Mouse
Jesus Christ wrote:Fuck all South Pacific island and island-continents.
AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby AbramIsaac » Jun 28th, '13, 20:24

It'll also have your Google+/Gmail integration, and if I had to guess, it will probably have GoogleVoice capability as well.
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby AbramIsaac » Jun 29th, '13, 01:17

Miller wrote:
bigray wrote:Between the $99 Ouya, Nvidia’s Shield, and GameStick, Android-powered consoles aren’t exactly a new breed. Still, a console carrying Google branding and (presumably) sold through the Play Store would make things a lot more interesting.

Sounds the same to me.

Anyway all this new crap is gonna drive video games down like it did in the '80s. It's bad enough the market is split between Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft. Now Google, Apple and all these other random android consoles are gonna ruin it. However I cant see stuff like this taking off like an Xbox or Playstation.

Well, anything running Android should be able to play Android games, so it's not going to mess things up too bad. In all honesty, the more indie developers are involved, the more interesting gaming will get. Android Consoles/Apple TV will introduce some more things, but it's basically just going to move your phone-style games over to a different medium. The type of people that buy console games now will still be buying console games, and people that are satisfied with casual phone-style games that want them on the TV will purchase this.

None of these things will take off like the traditional consoles, because they're not targeting the same market. The only upcoming "new" contender to console gaming that is also targeting traditional gaming audiences will be the rumored Steam console, developed by Alienware (?). That's a genuinely interesting product, flush with both big studio and indie games, but I haven't heard anything about it since last year.

EDIT:
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming ... es-1127072

There we go. Again, this doesn't split the market up any further, as it's using Valve's existing PC gaming distribution system. The only difference is now, it will be in the form of a console, and running on a Linux distro. The fact that this is essentially a console that you can swap parts on, and develop for makes it the most interesting to me. Of course, I don't have the cash to drop on a console, but if I did? This would probably be it.

AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Return to Gaming Spot