The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

You guys don't ever play old games?

Discuss the world of gaming here, from Gameboy to Playstation 3.

You guys don't ever play old games?

Postby Hopsinshadie » Jan 7th, '14, 14:18

Even though today's graphics are great, I still love to play all kinds of old games all the way back from PS2, PS1, N64, and even the original Nintendos. I think I'm just gonna get another PS2 so I can start playing all my old games again. God the memories. Did you ever play Apocalypse from PS1? That game was underrated I swear. I remember the days my little buddy would play it with me and he would always laugh when Bruce Willis said to the creatures, ''Suck ON THIS!!'', ''Oh you want SOOME too'', ''Come get some'', ''Bring it ON Baby'' or ''OOOh that felt good.'' Games like that were more straight forward and less of a headache. Too much meandering around in a video game feels like work to be frank. Honestly, I don't want to see gaming in 10 years because it's starting to scare me. If the graphics are improved, we won't be able to tell if the games are real or not.
Da MEDIA made into me a modern-day Genghis KHAN AT aint NO GAME DOG!
    Try to argue It was just entertainment dawg Entertainment DOG!
ImageImage ImageImage
Hopsinshadie
Soldier
Soldier

Re: You guys don't ever play old games?

Postby cheeseburger » Jan 7th, '14, 15:04

Still thinking of your ex eh?
Why Yelawolf rocks
The Chevrolet Slim Shady
Theres no way you can save me
cheeseburger
Soldier
Soldier

Postby yoda you can call me » Jan 7th, '14, 15:47

Yes i love playing old school games and i remember Apocalypse, The end boss was a twat. Didn't Bruce also say "kill em all, let God sort em out"?.
Thing is with retro games though, most of them haven't aged well and you can only play them for like ten minutes before you get bored shitless and pissed off. My personal favourite is Doom :worship:
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Shpongle » Jan 7th, '14, 15:51

yoda you can call me wrote:Yes i love playing old school games and i remember Apocalypse, The end boss was a twat. Didn't Bruce also say "kill em all, let God sort em out"?.
Thing is with retro games though, most of them haven't aged well and you can only play them for like ten minutes before you get bored shitless and pissed off. My personal favourite is Doom :worship:

Duke Nukem 3D shits on Doom :shifty:
Nothing Lasts...But Nothing Is Lost...
Maynard James Keenan wrote:Life is too short NOT to create something with every breath we draw.

#TRmetal
Shpongle
Soldier
Soldier

Postby yoda you can call me » Jan 7th, '14, 16:00

Shpongle wrote:
yoda you can call me wrote:Yes i love playing old school games and i remember Apocalypse, The end boss was a twat. Didn't Bruce also say "kill em all, let God sort em out"?.

I like Duke and all yo, but I have a couple of hundred fanmade maps for Doom 1 and 2. so i never get bored of it :p
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Shpongle » Jan 7th, '14, 16:07

yoda you can call me wrote:
Shpongle wrote:

I like Duke and all yo, but I have a couple of hundred fanmade maps for Doom 1 and 2. so i never get bored of it :p

That's cool, and yeah Doom is one of the GOAT fps games ever made
Maynard James Keenan wrote:Life is too short NOT to create something with every breath we draw.

#TRmetal
Shpongle
Soldier
Soldier

Postby AbramIsaac » Jan 7th, '14, 16:14

Those games aren't old enough.

The transition to 3D was great for the time, but the games (as has been said) didn't age well. Beyond that, they were pushing the limits of what they could do with the hardware at the time, so they sometimes had to make sacrifices that affected the quality of the game. That's not to say that graphics are what makes a game great; personally, I feel like the 16-bit games were some of the best ever made. It wasn't about graphic eye-candy, and FPS/Sports games hadn't become ubiquitous yet and polluted the industry with repetitive and uninspired bullshit.

Now is a great time for gaming, though. If you only view the industry as what the major publishers release on the consoles, it's whatever, but independent games are thriving like never before. The consoles have helped this more than anything else, but even with platforms like Steam (and the Steam box), there are ways for an independent game that is innovative and great to be successful and widely played. Oftentimes, these games are also inspired by the platformers or puzzle games of the golden age, so it's great to see that those concepts still play a role in the design of some of the most interesting releases that the indie devs are pushing out.

But yeah...not a big fan of the time between PS1/N64 and the last generation.
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

"Poison the well, your enemies are thirsty!" — Modest Mouse
Jesus Christ wrote:Fuck all South Pacific island and island-continents.
AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby SG. » Jan 7th, '14, 16:20

Abram said it best. The PS1/N64 era doesn't look well these days, but there are some gems in there (Super Mario 64 is still amazing, and doesn't look bad at all).
Menzo wrote:Lmao, you gotta love Zabe / SG...guy's so underrated.

StayWideAwake wrote:"Naturally handicapped, until proven intentionally retarded"
SG.
The Watcher
The Watcher

Postby Shpongle » Jan 7th, '14, 16:31

SG. wrote:Abram said it best. The PS1/N64 era doesn't look well these days, but there are some gems in there (Super Mario 64 is still amazing, and doesn't look bad at all).

Wayne Gretzky for N64 still kicks ass :8)

#TRmetal
Shpongle
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Hopsinshadie » Jan 7th, '14, 16:42

I disagree with y'all when you say the games didn't age well. Not many things age well when you've done them so many times. PS1 was like 15 years ago and I'm impressed because for 15 years ago, you still get almost the same quality. Now, games look so real that they look fake and not natural. They won't age well either after you've played it a zillion times. In fact I might not get a ps4 because after watching the demos on yt, I get it. It's nice, but lets see what ps5 brings. The graphics are so realistic that after a while I only notice the flaws. With the old systems, the control was more natural as well.
ImageImage ImageImage
Hopsinshadie
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Just Silver » Jan 7th, '14, 16:54

Look at myretro gaming appreciation thread

In fact lol just got two new genesis games
Just Silver
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Hopsinshadie » Jan 7th, '14, 16:58

Just Silver wrote:Look at myretro gaming appreciation thread

In fact lol just got two new genesis games

good
ImageImage ImageImage
Hopsinshadie
Soldier
Soldier

Postby yoda you can call me » Jan 7th, '14, 17:29

AbramIsaac wrote:Those games aren't old enough.

The transition to 3D was great for the time, but the games (as has been said) didn't age well. Beyond that, they were pushing the limits of what they could do with the hardware at the time, so they sometimes had to make sacrifices that affected the quality of the game. That's not to say that graphics are what makes a game great; personally, I feel like the 16-bit games were some of the best ever made. It wasn't about graphic eye-candy, and FPS/Sports games hadn't become ubiquitous yet and polluted the industry with repetitive and uninspired bullshit.

Now is a great time for gaming, though. If you only view the industry as what the major publishers release on the consoles, it's whatever, but independent games are thriving like never before. The consoles have helped this more than anything else, but even with platforms like Steam (and the Steam box), there are ways for an independent game that is innovative and great to be successful and widely played. Oftentimes, these games are also inspired by the platformers or puzzle games of the golden age, so it's great to see that those concepts still play a role in the design of some of the most interesting releases that the indie devs are pushing out.

But yeah...not a big fan of the time between PS1/N64 and the last generation.

True and on point. I have Snes and sega emulators and i fux with a lot of the games, definitely aged nicely.
And yeah, the independent scene is growing massively thanks to the consoles, I played a great indie game a few months back that i got from PS Plus Called Limbo, great and inventive side scroller..

Hopsinshadie wrote:I disagree with y'all when you say the games didn't age well. Not many things age well when you've done them so many times. PS1 was like 15 years ago and I'm impressed because for 15 years ago, you still get almost the same quality

You're only saying that because you quite clearly you haven't grown with the games industry and you can't notice the glaringly obvious datedness of the engine the games where running on
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Shpongle » Jan 7th, '14, 17:36

yoda you can call me wrote:True and on point. I have Snes and sega emulators and i fux with a lot of the games, definitely aged nicely.
And yeah, the independent scene is growing massively thanks to the consoles, I played a great indie game a few months back that i got from PS Plus Called Limbo, great and inventive side scroller..

You played Limbo? That game is great, took me a while to finish it, those damn spiders :D

#TRmetal
Shpongle
Soldier
Soldier

Postby yoda you can call me » Jan 7th, '14, 17:45

Shpongle wrote:
yoda you can call me wrote:True and on point. I have Snes and sega emulators and i fux with a lot of the games, definitely aged nicely.

You played Limbo? That game is great, took me a while to finish it, those damn spiders :D

LOL, i died quite a few times playing that game like. quite a lot death traps
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Next

Return to Gaming Spot