The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Dexter (8x12 Discussion) [SPOILERS!] [SERIES OVER]

Discuss other aspects to music here along with TV and Movies.

Re: Dexter (8x12 Discussion) [SPOILERS!] [SERIES OVER]

Postby Spyder » Feb 28th, '14, 21:06

Trinity was the most deserving of his table.

I kinda wish Lundy lived and he and dexter got to square off later
ImageImageImage
Spyder
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby SliK » Feb 28th, '14, 23:29

I thought season 3 was very weak.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Eedee » Mar 1st, '14, 01:07

SliK wrote:I thought season 3 was very weak.

Any particular reason? I thought the Miguel story-line was very well-written and intriguing. The other storylines however weren't as "involved", I guess. But damn, that main storyline was fucking outstanding.
mdemaz wrote:dam
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby Spyder » Mar 1st, '14, 04:17

Gotta agree with slik, season three was the lesser of the first four. I didn't really like the Miguel character. Or the freebo skinner saga
ImageImageImage
Spyder
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby SliK » Mar 2nd, '14, 01:14

Eedee wrote:

Any particular reason? I thought the Miguel story-line was very well-written and intriguing. The other storylines however weren't as "involved", I guess. But damn, that main storyline was fucking outstanding.

Lol it was fucking stupid.

Hurrr I've been careful for so long but I'm going to tell a COP that I murder people.

Oh no something went wrong with my foolproof plan!

Maybe it just seemed so shitty because seasons one and two were almost flawless.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Eedee » Mar 2nd, '14, 01:22

SliK wrote:
Eedee wrote:

Lol it was fucking stupid.

Hurrr I've been careful for so long but I'm going to tell a COP that I murder people.

Oh no something went wrong with my foolproof plan!

Maybe it just seemed so shitty because seasons one and two were almost flawless.

Well, Miguel wasn't really a cop, he was the DA. Also, he kinda "caught" Dexter, and then latched on after that. There was nothing Dexter could do. Then shit developed and things came to the surface. He's never tried a partner in killing yet, so obviously that's going to draw Dexter to do some potentially new things. I thought it was a great dynamic to explore after the first two (as you said, flawless) seasons.
mdemaz wrote:dam
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby Spyder » Mar 2nd, '14, 04:23

Season two was nice but let's face it. Dokes could have gotten out of that cage and or caught dexter like five times.

It's a show just enjoy
ImageImageImage
Spyder
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Mr Change » Mar 5th, '14, 03:38

So my dad and a couple of my friends got me into this show and I've spent the last month or two watching it in it's entirety without any real expectations going in.

What I found was a show that, in it's top form, could easily string together 3-4 episodes in a row at any given time that were top notch and forced me to binge watch them up until the wee hours of the night. At first I figured it would be the basic cop drama without the cable limitations but I gladly discovered the series played out more like a constant game of cat and mouse featuring a smart bad-good protagonist that you couldn't help to root for when he was thrown in and out of every back against the wall situation possible.

Who would've known it would be so fun to watch season after season a freak who acts like a normal person teeter on the edge of ruining his own life and the lives of the ones around him time and time again?

Up until season 4 it was a great show, heck, I may even use the word brilliant to describe some parts of it. But after that it went down hill in my opinion.

It wasn't necessarily that the show took too many paths that I didn't agree with (But I assure you, it definitely did take a lot of them), but just the fact that the quality deteriorated. The writing dumbed down. An easy example is the show never once reached the manic spider web scenarios that challenged Dexter to barely squirm out rivaling the formula of other shows like Breaking Bad (Dexter used this formula even better and in greater abundance for the first 1-4 seasons to be completely honest.) after season 5.

Sure, there were many cool ideas and well-done moments to happen in 5-8 (Examples being things like Deb's death and when she finally saw Dexter in the church killing the DDK), but overall the show just couldn't keep up with it's past self. The secondary characters had less, more uninteresting things to do. The "big bad" of each season got considerably worse. Many scenarios and love interests seemed forced. And don't even get me started on the lack of traditional kill-room kills in the latter half of the show. All of these things Dexter needed to be a great show, and all of these things it had never not had of utmost quality before.

I'm still gathering my thoughts on the show as I just finished it a day ago but as bad as I may trash the later seasons I'm glad I watched the show and it was a pleasurable experience. Still good TV even at it's not-so-best moments. The last episode was good for what it wanted to do.

Dexter is one of the GOAT television characters in my viewing experience and his sister Deb was an insanely strong female lead/secondary protagonist. The concept of the show in general was very fresh and fun to me, moreso than anything in recent memory.

Season Ranking (Best to Worst)
3/7
jinofthewind wrote:And Koolo's sources said... Nothing you idiots Koolo's sources are dead they're locked in my basement

"Soon as I stopped saying I gave a fuck
Haters started to appreciate my art
And it just breaks my heart to look at all the pain I caused
But what am I gonna do when the rage is gone?
And the lights go out in that trailer park?"
Mr Change
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Spyder » Mar 9th, '14, 02:07

Almost spot on with your rankings. I'd say. Best to worst

But now I'm gonna binge game of thrones yaaaaaa
ImageImageImage
Spyder
Pill Popper
Pill Popper