The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Dexter (8x12 Discussion) [SPOILERS!] [SERIES OVER]

Discuss other aspects to music here along with TV and Movies.

Re: Dexter (8x12 Discussion) [SPOILERS!] [SERIES OVER]

Postby Him Shadow » Sep 23rd, '13, 23:34

I kinda like this last episode... fuck this is the end of Dexter :'( and next week BB ends :'(
Him Shadow
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Hansen » Sep 24th, '13, 17:49

TrShady is just great. A place where pompousus blowhards can connect with other pompousus blowhards, and form a vast circle jerk of pomposity.

Hansen
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Eedee » Sep 24th, '13, 18:48

SliK wrote:Uh because it was so ridiculous. Rather than clever writing it was predictable bullshit designed to tug at the heart strings of those emotionally invested in the characters. The moment Deb said "I love you Joey" I was like, well she's gonna die. And Dexter just abandoned his family, for what? He had supposedly changed. Oh but he "destroys everyone he loves" so he just fucks off and becomes a logger lol. I thought the show was pretty bad by now but I was hoping for a decent ending but of course it couldn't deliver. Dunno how you can describe it as "poetically beautiful" because it was far from it.

You aren't getting what exactly happened.

Dexter thinks he changed. He thought he could change himself, to start a new life with Hannah and Harrison in Argentina. Then Deb becoming brain dead changed that. She was his one constant in his life. Someone he could depend on when times went to shit, and vice versa. In that moment, when Dexter said "I've never seen a miracle", not only is he referring to Deb getting better, he's referring to his new life awaiting him in Argentina. In that moment, he knows he has to kill Saxon. That urge comes back. Sure, it's for revenge, but look at his face when he stabs him with that pen. He enjoys it. He knows that. Look at his reaction to everything during the scene with Batista and Quinn replaying the Saxon kill. Dexter doesn't give a shit. He's empty. He knows he has to isolate himself from those he loves, otherwise he'll have another Deb happen to Hannah or Harrison.

Call back to S3 (might be S4, doesn't matter), Deb said she'd never let Dex suffer if he was like Camilla. Deb is a fucking vegetable. She won't ever be herself ever again. Being her big brother, he can't let that happen. Remember the monsters?

So... saying ALL that. The ending is fucking beautifully poetic because the hardest kill of his life, which is easy for him because he kills all the time, is his sister. He pulls the plug, so to speak. But he technically killed her. It's his fault she's like that. He drops her off in the ocean... just like all his other kills.

But killing himself is too easy. He fakes his own death, and isolates himself from everyone he loves in Oregon.

Notice the stare at the end. The silence. There's no usual voiceover. It's silence. It's empty. Just like Dexter inside.

With that said... that's why I think it's beautifully poetic. He's punishing himself for all his mistakes. I love it.

(You can hate it all you want, I'm just explaining myself)
mdemaz wrote:dam
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby RSoares » Sep 24th, '13, 20:45

Eedee wrote:
SliK wrote:Uh because it was so ridiculous. Rather than clever writing it was predictable bullshit designed to tug at the heart strings of those emotionally invested in the characters. The moment Deb said "I love you Joey" I was like, well she's gonna die. And Dexter just abandoned his family, for what? He had supposedly changed. Oh but he "destroys everyone he loves" so he just fucks off and becomes a logger lol. I thought the show was pretty bad by now but I was hoping for a decent ending but of course it couldn't deliver. Dunno how you can describe it as "poetically beautiful" because it was far from it.

You aren't getting what exactly happened.

Dexter thinks he changed. He thought he could change himself, to start a new life with Hannah and Harrison in Argentina. Then Deb becoming brain dead changed that. She was his one constant in his life. Someone he could depend on when times went to shit, and vice versa. In that moment, when Dexter said "I've never seen a miracle", not only is he referring to Deb getting better, he's referring to his new life awaiting him in Argentina. In that moment, he knows he has to kill Saxon. That urge comes back. Sure, it's for revenge, but look at his face when he stabs him with that pen. He enjoys it. He knows that. Look at his reaction to everything during the scene with Batista and Quinn replaying the Saxon kill. Dexter doesn't give a shit. He's empty. He knows he has to isolate himself from those he loves, otherwise he'll have another Deb happen to Hannah or Harrison.

Call back to S3 (might be S4, doesn't matter), Deb said she'd never let Dex suffer if he was like Camilla. Deb is a fucking vegetable. She won't ever be herself ever again. Being her big brother, he can't let that happen. Remember the monsters?

So... saying ALL that. The ending is fucking beautifully poetic because the hardest kill of his life, which is easy for him because he kills all the time, is his sister. He pulls the plug, so to speak. But he technically killed her. It's his fault she's like that. He drops her off in the ocean... just like all his other kills.

But killing himself is too easy. He fakes his own death, and isolates himself from everyone he loves in Oregon.

Notice the stare at the end. The silence. There's no usual voiceover. It's silence. It's empty. Just like Dexter inside.

With that said... that's why I think it's beautifully poetic. He's punishing himself for all his mistakes. I love it.

(You can hate it all you want, I'm just explaining myself)

:worship:
RSoares
Soldier
Soldier

Postby SliK » Sep 25th, '13, 00:45

Obviously I get that, the writing in that show is incredibly simplistic. Nothing like the first two seasons at all. The ending was piss poor.

You sound like EminemBase describing an Em verse - "You don't like it? You must not understand it". Lol.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Eedee » Sep 25th, '13, 03:24

I agree, but I still appreciated the ending.

And sorry it came off that way.
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby Innovation » Sep 29th, '13, 21:40

I thought the ending was decent, but the season as a whole wasn't brilliant.

JeremyJahns makes some good points about the finale.

It's sad to see Dexter end, and I'm going to be feeling the same way with Breaking Bad tomorrow! At least Homeland is back.

Btw Eedee, your post had some very good points in it. :y:
Innovation
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Eedee » Sep 29th, '13, 21:49

I love the fact that she is still his victim, so it's into the sea with her. But she's not wrapped in a black bag. She's wrapped in white. She's pure. Innocent.

Love the symbolism of that entire last scene.
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby Spyder » Feb 28th, '14, 04:12

Sorry to bump this old topic but I just binged on it, finished last month and now am back up to season four.

God this show is good, I noticed slik said the first two seasons were the best. Mmmm maybe, I think that argument can be made for any show but Breaking Bad, as they get worse with every season.
Once you get emotionally involved with characters you lose your original story focal points. As to this show I think season four was my favorite. Whew.

Trinity was the best killer imo. Death of Lundy. Christina hall being his daughter. Rita dying and the symbolism of his son in a pool of his mothers blood.

The first season was the only one to go off the books, so that may be the reason for the love there.

But I loved the ending, it was predictable but necessary. When isn't a shows ending predictable... Breaking bad was just a question of who else dies with Walt etc.
Won't reiterate all of what eedee said but yeah he knew he could never change, after the loss of his sister he needed to be alone without corrupting or endangering his son.
But it sets up perfect for if they do the spin off they want. Which would involve Michael C Hall

Honestly season eight was nice. Him finding out a therapist helped Harry make the code. And then him trying to teach Zach.
ImageImageImage
Spyder
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Eedee » Feb 28th, '14, 04:19

Thank you Spyder lol

I thought season 8 was satisfying. I do wish they could've had a different end-game but they blew that story-line in season 2. Oh well, the ending to me was nice enough and I couldn't ask for a better close to one of my favorite shows of all time. I think they did the right thing. It was beautifully done. That last scene with Dex and Deb out on the ocean was so fucking perfect.
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby SliK » Feb 28th, '14, 04:23

It was gay af
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby RayRay33 » Feb 28th, '14, 04:43

Seriously??

I loved the show until Season 4, everything after that was just shit especially the last Season.
Last Episode was horrible, i just thought after every scene, why do they mess with the audience so much.
It wasnt believable at all. Dex should have just died. But living alone in the forest chopping up wood, come on?
He could have been a father to his son, instead he left his son with another killer, just so hes safe of his dad?
And Debs death was just unnecessary, everything was put in the last episode.
The writers had almost no concept for the last Season. I say they made up every episode es they go along.
And when they came to the finale they thought, "hmm, how can we wrap this up?".
No story arc over this Season at all. Im just frustrated, how they think they can mess with the adience so much.
Apparently there are lots of people who are satisfied with such crap.
If it wasnt for the first 4 Seasons, i would have stopped watching years ago.

Watch Breaking Bad and you will change your mind about good televison.
This is how you do it, they care about satifieing the audience in a clever way.
You can do a successfull show without lowering the ambitions.

Its just always about the money, that destroys the storyline.
Thats why most shows are crap in the end, most of them also since the beginning.
Something like Breaking Bad is hart to find nowadays.
I wish there would be more of them.
RayRay33
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Spyder » Feb 28th, '14, 04:59

Uhhh I think by my avatar and signature you know I watch Breaking Bad LOL. Yes its better than Dexter, yes Breaking Bad never really has a weak moment. But your not gonna find a show like that probably ever again. Unless they can someone keep that momentum with Better Cal Saul.

I really don't remember the main plot of season five. I know that when Quinn got a bug up his ass. But honestly season six was alright with the doomsday killer, its a better view of his religious encounters than what happens in the books. In one of the books he thinks his dark passenger is a form of a god called mulloch and joins a cult LOL
I think him simply finding a religious figure who changed his ways was much better. I thought the fact of the young guy being the killer and simply imagining the older killer was dope. Now they didn't feel as authentic as Trinity or Ice Truck Killer but... Oh well.

Oh yeah season five was Lumen and her rapists. I didn't like or dislike that season but it was nice for him to connect with another woman.

Now the relationship between him and Hannah got tired. But yeah she may be a killer, but she poisend people who got in her way. The kid would never be in danger with her.

I'm not sure how one can make the argument of something is predictable, and say the writers just threw something together...
ImageImageImage
Spyder
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Spyder » Feb 28th, '14, 17:54

Ya man there's no arguing BB is the lion of the food chain.

I'm really hoping Better Call Saul is dope. There just won't be a Bryan Cranston caliber actor :(
ImageImageImage
Spyder
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby TonyTilt » Feb 28th, '14, 18:09

Season 4 was definitely one of the best if not the best. That scene with Harrison and Rita in the bathroom was just.....perfectly done. Almost like when he walked into the bloody hotel room.
Solace wrote:Finna catch Tony brushing his teeth in the middle of chugging Jack Daniels

#Slumerican
TonyTilt
Renegade
Renegade

PreviousNext

Return to Entertainment