The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

American football basics

From basketball to golf, all discussion of sport goes on here.

American football basics

Postby aj6931234 » Feb 6th, '11, 18:58

I have never in my life seen an american football game but would like to get into the sport. The superbowl is being played here tonight and I was wondering if you could just give me the basics and tell me what the superbowl is ? I understand the 4 down 10 yard thing but thats about it

Thanks in advance
aj6931234
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Re: American football basics

Postby Robbie G » Feb 6th, '11, 19:23

Basically the goal is to get the ball into the endzone. That gives you six points. If you run out of downs and are close enough to the endzone you can try to kick the ball between the yellow pylons for 3 points.
Robbie G
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby aj6931234 » Feb 6th, '11, 21:17

Thanks for that :D
aj6931234
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby Emadyville » Feb 7th, '11, 13:51

Since I have the time, I'll just add some shit to his incase there's a lot you still don't know :y:

Packers = Superbowl wrote:Basically the goal is to get the ball into the endzone. That gives you six points. If you run out of downs and are close enough to the endzone you can try to kick the ball between the yellow pylons for 3 points.

If you don't get the first down, and aren't close enough to attempt a field goal (the kicking of the ball he described) teams often punt. Which means the punter kicks the ball by himself to the opposing team (kinda drops the ball and then kicks it while the ball is dropping). If a punt (or a kickoff) lands in the endzone, goes out of the endzone, or is caught by a player who then kneels in the endzone, the team with the ball then starts at their own 20-yard line.

A kickoff is what starts the game, and the team who kicks to start the game, is then the receiving team of the kickoff that starts the second half, so each team gets a possession to start each half basically. Kickoffs are also done when a team scores (a touchdown or field goal), they then kickoff to the opponent. Onside kicks are done when a team is down (and the game is almost over) and needs the ball to score, the kickoff needs to go 10 yards before it is able to be touched by the kicking team (or if the other team touches it prior to 10 yards), so when it reaches 10 yards or is touched by the opponent they can they "recovery" the ball and if so, then have possession. This is sometimes done when it isn't the end of the game, so usually done as a trick play basically to gain possession. Saints did this in last years superbowl and recovered :sweating:
Menzo wrote:Its cuz you're dope and Daddy Dubs. No one fucks with that

I love you Daren
Emadyville
Django
Django

Return to Sports Arena