The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Wimbledon 2011

From basketball to golf, all discussion of sport goes on here.

Wimbledon 2011

Postby Innovation » Jun 19th, '11, 23:30

With Wimbledon starting tomorrow, I think it deserves its own thread for us tennis lovers!

I'll be rooting for Roddick. Let's hope he can improve upon his form from the Queens into Wimbledon. That would definitely put him in a good position and a strong contender for this year's title.

Discuss!
Innovation
Role Model
Role Model

Re: Wimbledon 2011

Postby One Mic » Jun 19th, '11, 23:31

ABM - Anyone but Murray
One Mic
Soldier
Soldier

Postby momentsgolden » Jun 19th, '11, 23:44

Djokovic. I dont know why i like him but i did in 2008 with his big head and all. Such an unbelievable start to the season and the Federer comes along- not cool! lol

Havent watched a match in a minute though.
Songs of the year

Tech N9ne- Gods, Ft Krizz Kaliko and Kutt Calhoun.
momentsgolden
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Innovation » Jun 19th, '11, 23:45

momentsgolden wrote:Djokovic. I dont know why i like him but i did in 2008 with his big head and all. Such an unbelievable start to the season and the Federer comes along- not cool! lol

Havent watched a match in a minute though.

Make sure you catch this years Wimbledon then!
Innovation
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Ku53v » Jun 19th, '11, 23:50

i'll be rooting for Delpo since he's my fellow countryman, but i'll be content if nadal doesn't win, i hate him.
Roddick always plays his best at wimbledon, but he doesn't stand a chance to win, the title is gonna be won by either Federer or Djokovic
Ku53v
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Innovation » Jun 19th, '11, 23:55

Ku53v wrote:i'll be rooting for Delpo since he's my fellow countryman, but i'll be content if nadal doesn't win, i hate him.
Roddick always plays his best at wimbledon, but he doesn't stand a chance to win, the title is gonna be won by either Federer or Djokovic

2009? Roddick was so close to winning it then.

I mean yeah he's not odds on favourite but It's definitely doable. If he has upped his game from the Queen's there's not really anyone who would really want to play him in that form. He's deadly on form.
Innovation
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Fleka » Jun 20th, '11, 08:51

When you say Wimbledon I say Goran Ivanišević.
Fleka
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Innovation » Jun 21st, '11, 10:38

Did anyone watch day 1?
Innovation
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Ku53v » Jun 22nd, '11, 03:12

Innovation wrote:2009? Roddick was so close to winning it then.

I mean yeah he's not odds on favourite but It's definitely doable. If he has upped his game from the Queen's there's not really anyone who would really want to play him in that form. He's deadly on form.

Yeah but alot of things change in 2 years. He fell off the top 10 and hasnt won a single title this year, plus djokovic became almost unbeatable, and he couldn't beat federer or nadal in his prime so how could he do it now?

Innovation wrote:Did anyone watch day 1?

I woke up when it's was the late afternoon over there so i missed most of it :D
Ku53v
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Innovation » Jun 22nd, '11, 08:33

Ku53v wrote:
Innovation wrote:2009? Roddick was so close to winning it then.

Yeah but alot of things change in 2 years. He fell off the top 10 and hasnt won a single title this year, plus djokovic became almost unbeatable, and he couldn't beat federer or nadal in his prime so how could he do it now?

Innovation wrote:Did anyone watch day 1?

I woke up when it's was the late afternoon over there so i missed most of it :D

He very nearly beat Federer in 2009. If he can play like that again and get a bit of luck then he has a big chance.
Innovation
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Rash J » Jun 22nd, '11, 13:13

I'm rooting for Rafa, but my head is telling me Roger is winning this
Rash J
Soldier
Soldier

Postby One Mic » Jun 22nd, '11, 17:15

@Innnovation - because your location says UK and you seem to be a big Tennis fan

Why don't Britain produce WORLD CLASS tennis players who win grand slams on a regular basis?

Aside from Andy Murray, there is no one even close to him.
^ and even he hasn't even done anything that amazing in his career so far, 0 grand slam titles

How can Switzerland with a population of just 7.7 million people produce someone like Federer, where as the UK with 60 million+ can't ?
One Mic
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Innovation » Jun 22nd, '11, 17:57

One Mic wrote:@Innnovation - because your location says UK and you seem to be a big Tennis fan

Why don't Britain produce WORLD CLASS tennis players who win grand slams on a regular basis?

Aside from Andy Murray, there is no one even close to him.
^ and even he hasn't even done anything that amazing in his career so far, 0 grand slam titles

How can Switzerland with a population of just 7.7 million people produce someone like Federer, where as the UK with 60 million+ can't ?

I think it's really just down to one main reason. That reason is that tennis is not very popular over here. The most exposure tennis gets in the UK is Wimbledon and that's only for what? Two weeks? You could probably throw the Davis Cup in there but I mean how many people even watch that?

In recent times, we've had a few decent players such as Tim Henman and Greg Rusedski but none of them actually won a grand slam. Let's say Tim Henman did win a grand slam, it would have been all over the news giving the game much more exposure. With more exposure, it should mean more people pick up a racket and give tennis a go. But football, rugby and cricket are the sports getting the most attention. So of course, kids will feel more inclined to play those sports as opposed to tennis because they're the most popular sports.

Going back to your population comparison, it works the same way. Because of the success of Fededer, Switzerland have been exposed to tennis much more than we are. I mean he's won countless grand slams which only helps contribute to the popularity of tennis in Switzerland. I mean he's just a rarity, a true talent. There's two Swiss tennis players in the ATP top 15. There's one British player in the top 100. That says it all, really.

Just another quick comparison, there's 14 Spanish players in the top 100. Once again, I believe hugely contributed due to the success of Nadal. It's worth mentioning that 3 of those are the in top 15. Spain's population is only 45 million, too.

I remember pundits talking about this when I was watching the Queen's; Murrary is unlucky to be in the era he is in now. I mean he's got to compete with Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. If you were to throw those three out of the equation, it's a different game. Murray would probably be the dominant figure in tennis. If he was, imagine how much exposure tennis would get here. There would be many more kids picking up a racket and producing many more quality players than we have now.
Innovation
Role Model
Role Model

Postby momentsgolden » Jun 24th, '11, 01:28

Innovation wrote:I remember pundits talking about this when I was watching the Queen's; Murrary is unlucky to be in the era he is in now. I mean he's got to compete with Federer, Nadal and Djokovic. If you were to throw those three out of the equation, it's a different game. Murray would probably be the dominant figure in tennis. If he was, imagine how much exposure tennis would get here. There would be many more kids picking up a racket and producing many more quality players than we have now.

i respect what you said but i think its quite... unreasonable... to "take those three out" Because Djokovic hasnt been a "great" per se, Roger is "going down" (although admittedly still fucking brilliant) and sometimes i feel Nadal is one-dimensional. The fact there is all this competition and people like Davydenko can still come and sweep all of them (Davies Cup :unsure: ) shows that the number one doesnt have a vice grip than say Federer and Sampras at the height of their powers. If Murray truly wants to be remembered as a force he NEEDS to win a grand slam. At least he still has age on his side....
Songs of the year

Tech N9ne- Gods, Ft Krizz Kaliko and Kutt Calhoun.
momentsgolden
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Innovation » Jun 24th, '11, 16:47

No way has Roddick crashed out. :n:

Rooting for Murray now lol.
Innovation
Role Model
Role Model

Next

Return to Sports Arena