The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Beckham Dropped From England Team

From basketball to golf, all discussion of sport goes on here.

Beckham Dropped From England Team

Postby matz » Aug 11th, '06, 21:08

David Beckham's England career appears to be at an end after new manager Steve McClaren left him out of his squad.

Beckham's name was absent as McClaren unveiled his first squad - for the friendly against Greece on 16 August.

"I told David I was looking to change things, looking to go in a different direction, and he wasn't included within that," explained McClaren.

The new England boss would not rule out recalling Beckham but the 31-year-old seems unlikely to add to his 94 caps.

Beckham said in a statement: "Having spoken to Steve McClaren this week I can fully understand that a new manager should want to make his mark on the team and build towards the next World Cup.

"I'm proud to have played for England for 10 years and my passion for representing my country remains as strong as ever."

He took the news very well, although he was disappointed

England boss Steve McClaren

McClaren said he had been impressed by Beckham's reaction on being told he was not part of his plans for England's future.

"I have great respect for David," said McClaren.

"He was a fantastic captain for England, a great player, and still is a great player.

"He took the news very well, although he was disappointed.

"I got the reaction I wanted, and the reaction was he would continue to fight for his place, and I will never close the door on that."

The Real Madrid midfielder quit as captain after England's World Cup exit in July but insisted he wanted to continue playing.

Despite his omission from McClaren's first squad as manager, BBC Sport understands Beckham will not announce his international retirement.

He made his debut in a World Cup qualifier against Moldova in September 1996 at the age of 21.

Stand-in boss Peter Taylor made him captain for a friendly against Italy in late 2000, a role he was handed on a permanent basis under Sven-Goran Eriksson.

Arguably the highlight of his England career came in a crucial 2002 World Cup qualifier when Beckham scored a stunning last-minute free-kick to make it 2-2 against Greece and send Eriksson's side to Korea and Japan.

He went on to skipper England 58 times, behind only Billy Wright and Bobby Moore (both 90) and Bryan Robson (65).

I don't think this is right. I mean beckham basically set up every england goal in the world cup. He may not have been the best captain but i still think he is worth his place in the team let alone the squad. Anyway i am glad Venables is assistant coach. I am actually quite confident about England's future chances now
matz
Role Model
Role Model

Postby matz » Aug 11th, '06, 21:18

i no lennon impressed at the world cup but you can't expect him to perform like that all the time. beckham should atleast be in the squad
matz
Role Model
Role Model

Postby chronic » Aug 11th, '06, 21:51

G_killa wrote:im ok if lennon takes his place

lennon>beckham

word

lennon is wayyyy more talented then beckham...never liked beckham...dont like his face
chronic
Renegade
Renegade

Postby matz » Aug 11th, '06, 22:21

well i jus think you need the experienced players in the squad aswell. and dat aint all beckham has. as you saw....he basically set up all the goals for england in the world cup
matz
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Fi.J. » Aug 13th, '06, 14:26

I liked beckham(most of all cos he's hot!)..but yes,maybe lennon is more talented..
Fi.J.
There's a certain mystique when I speak, that you notice that it's sorta unique,
cos you know it's me, my poetry's deep, and I'm still matic the way I flow to this beat, you can't sit still, it's like tryin to smoke crack and go to sleep, I'm strapped

PROOF RIP..
Fi.J.
Renegade
Renegade

Postby matz » Aug 13th, '06, 15:09

well its debatable whether he is more talented but even if he is.....then atleast put beckham in your squad!!
matz
Role Model
Role Model

Postby eminem4live » Aug 16th, '06, 14:03

wanted becks to get to his 100 caps

love eminem

rip proof
eminem4live
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby G-Unit_spain » Aug 20th, '06, 16:29

i don
G-Unit_spain
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Evil_Deedz666 » Aug 29th, '06, 07:21

I think they should swap BOTH Beckem and Lennon for none other than:

50 Cent :toocool:

Dang! Have you seen that boy play soccer???
He is the greatest! :hooray:
Evil_Deedz666
Soldier
Soldier

Postby sinemm » Aug 29th, '06, 08:19

david is like a model or actor more than a footballer i think he need to care bout his own job..so everything could be more clear and better..
sinemm
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby phanthetuongminh » Aug 31st, '06, 10:37

john terry is take his place
i think he 's a gud captain better than beck
phanthetuongminh
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Return to Sports Arena