The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Torres reveals Liverpool doubts.

From basketball to golf, all discussion of sport goes on here.

Torres reveals Liverpool doubts.

Postby .єddy » Mar 14th, '10, 07:59

Fernando Torres has admitted he will think about his future at Liverpool if the club do not buy the players needed to turn them into Premier League contenders. Liverpool are currently sixth place in table, a point behind Tottenham and Manchester City having played more games than all of their main rivals for the fourth Champions League berth.

And having also failed in both domestic cup competitions and lost the first leg of their Europa League last-16 tie with Lille on Thursday, it could end up being a season to forget for the Reds. However, more than the quest to finish fourth, Torres believes the most important thing on Liverpool's horizon is that they make a major assault on the transfer market this summer.

When asked by Spanish newspaper AS if he planned to leave the Reds if they failed to qualify for the Champions League, Torres said: "It's too soon to talk, I honestly think that we're going to be fourth, but for me Champions League qualification isn't so important. The really important thing is that the club makes a big effort and brings in important players, who will improve the quality of the squad.

"We need four or five top-class players to compete, better than we have here, who will make us grit our teeth and do everything we can to try and keep our places," he continued. "Without reinforcements next year we will once again be fighting to be fourth. I want to fight next year to win the Premier League, to win the Champions League or the Europa League, but for this there have to be signings."

I don't feel under pressure. I am disappointed for the season but we can still fight and still improve ... Every game will be important and the next one against Portsmouth is the most important as we try to get close to the top four.
Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez
Referred back to the initial question about his future, Torres again deflected. "There are so many circumstances and so many things that you have to take into account that it is too soon to talk about that. But I have this and three more years of my contract," he said. "I've left my home and it's clear that I owe Liverpool many things, and I'm very happy here. The fans have treated my like one of their own, but I'm going to think about my future and hopefully it will be here.

He also revealed his worry for the Reds supporters. "I think these fans deserve to win. Beyond thinking about me, I think the club deserve to get back to winning (trophies), but they know themselves that right now that it's far off," he said.

"The fans are worried about players going, it's a problem when you start to fear that your players are going because you know it's because the club is not moving forward, but I don't think that is going to be the situation here. Since the arrival of (managing director) Christian Purslow Liverpool have had an important boost, we signed with a big-money sponsor to match Real Madrid, then things are going to go forward," said Torres.

Benitez denies pressure
Meanwhile, two defeats in four days have once again brought Rafael Benitez's position under scrutiny, but the Liverpool manager insists he is not feeling the pressure. Losses against Wigan and then Lille in the Europa League heightened the feeling of impending catastrophe at Anfield.

And with Real Madrid coach Manuel Pellegrini's long-term future in serious doubt after his side's exit from the Champions League, speculation has already started linking Benitez with the Bernabeu post. But the Spaniard is determined to prove his critics wrong by delivering his guarantee of fourth place in the Barclays Premier League and turning around a 1-0 deficit from their Europa League last-16, first leg.

It could be a pivotal week for the club as they face bottom side Portsmouth on Monday, host Lille in midweek and then travel to face Manchester United at Old Trafford the following Sunday. "I don't feel under pressure. I am disappointed for the season but we can still fight and still improve," Benitez said. "Against Portsmouth we have to prove this determination and then afterwards against Lille. We know the season is not good enough. Every game will be important and the next one against Portsmouth is the most important as we try to get close to the top four.

"It is clear we cannot lose too many points so we have to start winning, beginning with this game," he continued. "We know every game has to be like this but we have to have a good mentality to approach games in this way. Then we can go forward and start thinking about the Europa League when we have a 'cup final' against Lille. Every game in a knockout competition is like a final. That is the way."

Criticism began to mount after a poor first half against Wigan which was possibly the worst 45 minutes of Benitez's five-and-a-half-year reign. Defeat in northern France was not as bad as some made out but it did not do much for the squad's battered confidence. Benitez, however, accentuated the positives by insisting he saw signs which suggested his side could yet still pull their season out of the fire.

"We were improving in the last few games and we were stronger and defensively more solid and difficult to beat," the said. "And then Wigan was a surprise for us but the reaction has been positive and hopefully we can carry on in this way. "I think we saw we had some character (against Lille). To play against these type of teams who are quick, you could see we were strong.

"It was a good example of the way we want to play, not just the game, but the mentality, the attitude of the players," he said. "At Anfield, with the fans behind the players we will see a better reaction and the fans will see that. I am sure if we can play with this intensity we can beat anyone."

So why in the world do I feel so alone
Nobody but me, I'm on my own
Is there anyone out there
Who feels the way I feel
That there is then let me in and let me know I'm not the only one.
.єddy
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Re: Torres reveals Liverpool doubts.

Postby .єddy » Mar 14th, '10, 08:00

I agree with Torres, Liverpool dont have too many top~class players besides Steven, him, & Pepe Reina, & maybe Kuyt. We signed M.Rodriguez but he just got inured too. :facepalm
Benitez really needs to consider stepping his game up in the summer w/ the transfer period. I know Manuel Pellegrini's spot in Madrid is really in danger after being eliminated from the Champions League, but I dont want Rafael to coach Madrid, i dont think hes ready to get to that level. oh yeah and what Fernando said is so true, itd be better if Liv'pool werent fighting to end in 4th, should be fighting to win the Premier League, to win the Champions League after successfully defeating Milan back in '05 w/ such an amazing comeback. Anyway, if Benitez makes good decisions in the summer, the Reds should be trying to win the English league just like we almost won it, but finished in 2nd last year, i'd be so happy to see em win it for the first time. be gay if United won it once more..

Who feels the way I feel
.єddy
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby dR3 » Mar 14th, '10, 23:09

Torres should join Chelsea as soon as possible.
^Thanks Maybe.
Spyder wrote:The silent king of spam.

Killa wrote:Me & dR3 represent the future bitch!!!

Killa wrote:dR3 stay winning...
dR3
Django
Django

Postby Mark. » Mar 14th, '10, 23:31

If Torres and Gerrard go then cheerio Liverpool. :happy:
Mark.
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby xRas » Mar 15th, '10, 20:03

I can't see him going to another English team for some reason :-k
xRas
Renegade
Renegade

Postby .єddy » Mar 16th, '10, 05:16

Mark. wrote:If Torres and Gerrard go then cheerio Liverpool. :happy:

damn right, Liv'pool's future will go to the toilet if we dont get new world class players.
xRas wrote:I can't see him going to another English team for some reason :-k

yeah me neither Tbh, maybe go to Madrid or go Italy or even Munich in Germany, but i dont see em in England either. :'(

Who feels the way I feel
.єddy
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby gvdz » Mar 17th, '10, 14:21

liverpool have to buy some top players like villa or ribery, players who can decide a match
and sell babel riera kyrgiakos
gvdz
Renegade
Renegade

Postby .єddy » Mar 18th, '10, 03:17

^
True shit.

Liv'pool need to buy top class players, as said in the report, even Torres might leave if Benitez dont buy new people.
And Gerrard said he wants to win trophies, and the Reds aren't giving him that. so that rite there are two big negative issues we got.

Who feels the way I feel
.єddy
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby hype » Mar 25th, '10, 23:24

i just cannot see Torres or Gerrard leaving the club. they love it in Liverpool. Mascherano is on the verge of signing a new deal, and Reina has signed one or is also on the verge of signing one. they have all made it perfectly clear that they love the club and the city. i cannot see any of them leaving.
hype
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby .єddy » Mar 27th, '10, 07:58

hype wrote:i just cannot see Torres or Gerrard leaving the club. they love it in Liverpool. Mascherano is on the verge of signing a new deal, and Reina has signed one or is also on the verge of signing one. they have all made it perfectly clear that they love the club and the city. i cannot see any of them leaving.

lol, i beg to differ.

Riera went to Russia on a loan & was suspended by Benitez for calling the Reds a 'sinking ship'.
Gerrard says he wants to win trophies, nd LFC aint giving that to him.
Torres might leave if R.Benitez doesnt buy world~class players to help the club.

~If Rafael doesnt make the right calls this summer, Liverpool will 'sink' even more, and more..

Who feels the way I feel
.єddy
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby hype » Mar 27th, '10, 11:47

.єddy wrote:
hype wrote:i just cannot see Torres or Gerrard leaving the club. they love it in Liverpool. Mascherano is on the verge of signing a new deal, and Reina has signed one or is also on the verge of signing one. they have all made it perfectly clear that they love the club and the city. i cannot see any of them leaving.

lol, i beg to differ.

Riera went to Russia on a loan & was suspended by Benitez for calling the Reds a 'sinking ship'.
Gerrard says he wants to win trophies, nd LFC aint giving that to him.
Torres might leave if R.Benitez doesnt buy world~class players to help the club.

~If Rafael doesnt make the right calls this summer, Liverpool will 'sink' even more, and more..

wanna bet that Torres and Gerrard will still be here next season?

oh, look what popped up today ...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 590720.stm
hype
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Return to Sports Arena