The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

AudioScope used in sport matches...

From basketball to golf, all discussion of sport goes on here.

AudioScope used in sport matches...

Postby mcZu » Oct 7th, '10, 20:00

Whatever your favorite sport is it’s often hard to pick out what individual players or coaches are saying due to all the noise. If the referee is giving a player an earful the commentator usually has to explain what for and guess at the specifics. What a coach is feeling is usually garnered from their body language not what they are shouting at the ref or discussing with assistants.

That is all set to change through the use of a new microphone system developed by physicists Morgan Kjølerbakken and Vibeke Jahr. It’s called AudioScope, but was formerly known as the “supermicrophone”.

It consists of 300 microphones installed as a circle above a play area which are calibrated to a fixed camera that can zoom in to any point. Using the same principles as sonar technology the microphones can relay the sound from the exact area the camera is focused on meaning we can listen in to conversations without the general background sound getting in the way.

As the video demonstrates, you can even hear a guy popping chewing gum at a very noisy basketball game.

A company has been formed by the physicists called Squarehead Technology and patents issued. They are currently in discussions to get AudioScope installed at major sporting venues.

Example

What do you guys think? Would it be better for sport matches or not? Aside of having better entertainment moments on the TV, would this be against the privacy rights of coach-player conversations? Revealing tactics? What officials have to say? What angry players utter in the heat of a game?

What are your thoughts?
Last edited by mcZu on Oct 7th, '10, 20:30, edited 1 time in total.
"Truth is limitless in its range; if you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt."
- Lupe Fiasco

Follow Me!

McZu's Blog!
mcZu
Band Leader
Band Leader

Re: AudioScope used in sport matches...

Postby Bistnal » Oct 7th, '10, 20:23

^I don't think using it is a good idea. So now w/ this a coach can't even have a PRIVATE conversation w/ his player? I don't like the sound of it personally.
Bistnal
Role Model
Role Model

Re: AudioScope used in sport matches...

Postby dR3 » Oct 7th, '10, 20:29

It would ruin the game, tactics should be kept secret, imo.

If it's only used for referee-player conversations, then it would be pretty cool.
^Thanks Maybe.
Spyder wrote:The silent king of spam.

Killa wrote:Me & dR3 represent the future bitch!!!

Killa wrote:dR3 stay winning...
dR3
Django
Django

Return to Sports Arena