The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret

Got a great joke, a funny video or story? All in here.

The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret

Postby EminemBase » Apr 15th, '12, 20:24

I've just finished watching the second season of this.

It's called The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret and it's created by David Cross, who is a comedian and comic actor, who most people will be aware of from Arrested Development.

David Cross wrote this with Shaun Pye - an English writer and comedian who most will be aware of, from Extras (he plays the smug extra Greg in this). And he's written for a lot of panel shows etc.

Anyway, David has confirmed that there won't be another season of this, despite the network wanting it. It's essentially a story, told from beginning to end, over the course of 12 episodes, and it truly is a story, that unfolds and progresses. You learn new bits of information each episode.

I'm writing about this as I feel I've just witnessed something quite special. Comedy seems to be one of those rare things that just gets better and better. Just when you think you've found the epitome of comedic brilliance, you're surprised again. Another series, another film, another evolution...

What's impressive about this series is firstly, the structure. Like I say, it really is a story that unfolds. I remember Tarantino saying something like... 'the US used to be the best at storytelling (with movies) and now they're on of the worst at it', because you know what's going to happen in a film, and to its characters within about 10 minutes of starting.

He then expressed the idea that, a story is something that should constantly unfold as you go along, and anybody familiar with his films knows, his do.

You don't really see the commitment to story in comedy series like I just saw in this one. You do see 'story arcs' where things happen to characters (wedding, having a baby etc.) over the course of certain seasons, but the episodes usually aren't totally committed and it's just a backdrop.

With The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret, there's almost no wasted minutes - everything is about the story, all the actions of the characters is to drive the story, reveal something else, or add something to the story, it's very well thought-out and executed.

Aside from this, it's fucking hilarious.

This is one of the most original, bizarre and brilliant comedy creations (TV) that I've seen in quite a while. I love Louie, I love Curb, but this is something quite different.

Similar to how Arrested Development was almost surreal at times and has this weirdly sinister / bizzaro-world undertone to it constantly, and was totally fearless and limitless in its exploration of taboo and controversy... The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret shares that spirit. But even though it can be very weird or, somewhat surreal in elements of its execution, it still feels totally real and believable... probably due to the realistic and brutal portrayal of life and people.

The way this story is, quite bizarre, quite 'out there' and the way it unfolds, is very Coen-esque. This is essentially The Coen Brothers meets Gervais, meets Larry David.

Unfortunately, it hasn't had a large audience but, something like this never would, because the masses don't have particularly good taste. The appreciation of greatness usually begins on the fringe and then spreads over time. I really think this series is greatness. Its appreciation, will take time.

There is a really brilliant interwoven balance of humour, tragedy and human spirit throughout this thing too. On the face of it, it may just appear silly - but only to a short-sighted or simpleminded viewer. David Cross inhibits a real sense of empathy and decency in this essentially... very normal and just, profoundly unlucky and weak little man. It's all very tight and well done.

David Cross, is brilliant. Will Arnett is hilarious. This series, is classic.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Re: The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret

Postby SliK » Apr 17th, '12, 15:19

I have watched three episodes based off your recommendation and so far I am really enjoying it.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret

Postby Willy » May 11th, '12, 05:08

Watched both seasons, this was excellent. The ending made me sad as shit and at the same time laugh at myself.

Fuck Willou
Willy
Soldier
Soldier

Return to Comedy Crib