The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Windows Vista...a System Hog!

Hardware and Software discussion. Seek advice or share your opinion on all things technology.

Windows Vista...a System Hog!

Postby AspirinE » Sep 16th, '05, 19:16

Windows Vista...A System hog! - [Computer Hardware]
Submitted by Buzzons on 9/7/2005 10:20:08 AM

A Tech Strategist within Microsoft, Nigel Page, has gone on record to discuss the hardware requirements for Windows Vista, due out next Christmas.

What he's said is kind of shocking.

System breakdown

Graphics: Vista has changed from using the CPU to display bitmaps on the screen to using the GPU to render vectors. This means the entire display model in Vista has changed. To render the screen in the GPU requires an awful lot of memory to do optimally - 256MB is a happy medium, but you'll actually see benefit from more. Microsoft believes that you're going to see the amount of video memory being shipped on cards hurtle up when Vista ships.

CPU: Threading is the main target for Vista. Currently, very little of Windows XP is threaded - the target is to make Vista perform far better on dual-core and multi-core processors.

RAM: 2GB is the ideal configuration for 64-bit Vista, we're told. Vista 32-bit will work ideally at 1GB, and minimum 512. However, since 64-bit is handling data chunks that are double the size, you'll need double the memory, hence the 2GB. Nigel mentions DDR3 - which is a little odd, since the roadmap for DDR3, on Intel gear at least, doesn't really kick in until 2007.

HDD: SATA is definitely the way forward for Vista, due, Microsoft tells us, to Native Command Queueing. NCQ allows for out of order completions - that is, if Vista needs tasks 1,2,3,4 and 5 done, it can do them in the order 2,5,3,4,1 if that's a more efficient route for the hard drive head to take over the disk. This leads to far faster completion times. NCQ is supported on SATA2 drives, so expect them to start becoming the standard sooner rather than later. Microsoft thinks that these features will provide SCSI-level performance.

Bus: AGP is 'not optimal' for Vista. Because of the fact that graphics cards may have to utilise main system memory for some rendering tasks, a fast, bi-direction bus is needed - that's PCI express.

Display: Prepare to feel the red mist of rage - no current TFT monitor out there is going to support high definition playback in Vista. You may already have heard rumblings about this, but here it is. To play HD-DVD or Blu-Ray content you need a HDCP compatible monitor. Why? Because these formats use HDCP to encrypt a video signal as it travels along a digital connection to an output device, to prevent people copying it. If you have just standard DVI or even an analogue output, you're going to see HD scaled down to a far-less-than-HD resolution for viewing - which sucks. This isn't really Microsoft's fault - HDCP is something that content makers, in their eternal wisdom, have decided is necessary to stop us all watching pirated movies. Yay.
AspirinE
Django
Django

Postby AspirinE » Sep 25th, '05, 10:04

GOOD LORD
these are requirments for windows vista

Extreme minimum requirements:
1.4 GHz processor
256 MB memory
64 MB videocard
7200 RPM HD 2 MB cache

For the highest settings (speculation):
3.6 GHz processor
2 GB memory
1 GB videocard with WGF 2.0 support
15000 RPM HD 1 GB flash memory
AspirinE
Django
Django

Postby AspirinE » Sep 25th, '05, 10:29

some pics to show how adavance the graphics system is
Flip 3D feature

Note these are pictures of a 800x600 screens so it dont look its best

Now heres a full resolution screen

AspirinE
Django
Django

Postby Hocky27 » Jan 5th, '06, 11:25

I know i am really late but i just found this becuase of this : http://www.trshady.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6864

There is currently no 1GB video card in existence when exactly do they plan on releasing vista ?
Hocky27
Soldier
Soldier

Postby AspirinE » Jan 5th, '06, 13:07

Hocky27 wrote:I know i am really late but i just found this becuase of this : http://www.trshady.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=6864

There is currently no 1GB video card in existence when exactly do they plan on releasing vista ?

yes there is, they just starting to ship 512mb video cards this year, and as far as i know a 1GB video is avable as a high-end device , but it costs up to 4000$
AspirinE
Django
Django

Postby Hocky27 » Jan 6th, '06, 01:26

Yeah i know about the 7800 GTX 512MB and the ATI's response to it. So where exactly can you get a 1GB card ? Also wouldnt anyone who bought it be stupid because you could just put two 7800 GTX 512MB in SLI ?
Hocky27
Soldier
Soldier

Postby matz » Jan 9th, '06, 19:28

yeh but whos gna pay dis much jus 2 run an os
matz
Role Model
Role Model

Postby AspirinE » Jan 9th, '06, 19:33

Hocky27 wrote:Yeah i know about the 7800 GTX 512MB and the ATI's response to it. So where exactly can you get a 1GB card ? Also wouldnt anyone who bought it be stupid because you could just put two 7800 GTX 512MB in SLI ?

Vista is only releasing in the last quarter of 2006 by the time it ships im sure there'll be a 1gb video card available for everybody.

This year is considered to be a great leap in computer technoligy.

It is also evaluated that by 2007 computers will be 3 times as fast(in general) as this year.
Its only a matter of time till we will simply have to switch to DDR2 ram and 64bit processors.
AspirinE
Django
Django

Postby trapd00r » Jan 11th, '06, 19:09

.. but when Vista finally get released, the "advanced GUI" wouldn
trapd00r
Soldier
Soldier

Postby TRshady » Jan 11th, '06, 19:23

Great information posted, I remember people speculating before XP dropped and many said they wouldn't upgrade due to system requirement, now pretty much all home users have it. By the time vista drops we'll be able to use vista on our hardware .. hardware manufactuers wouldn't miss out on an oppurtunity so they'll be a lot of competition around the time and cheaper prices along with higher quality for us. :D
TRshady
Government
Government

Postby AspirinE » Jan 11th, '06, 19:27

I must say though, the design looks kinda corny -_-
AspirinE
Django
Django

Postby X-Ray » Jan 11th, '06, 19:49

wtf where they think9ing i just baught a pc fuck windoes look like a copy of mac anyway fuck you windowed arsehole i'm giong to buy a mac he can shuw his vista up his arse :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
X-Ray
Soldier
Soldier

Postby trapd00r » Jan 11th, '06, 19:57

X-Ray wrote:wtf where they think9ing i just baught a pc fuck windoes look like a copy of mac anyway fuck you windowed arsehole i'm giong to buy a mac he can shuw his vista up his arse :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

haha, LOL!
Don't throw away ya PC. Install some dist. of Linux instead, and you'll be happy again! :D
trapd00r
Soldier
Soldier

Postby AspirinE » Jan 11th, '06, 19:59

X-Ray wrote:wtf where they think9ing i just baught a pc fuck windoes look like a copy of mac anyway fuck you windowed arsehole i'm giong to buy a mac he can shuw his vista up his arse :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Mac's are for n00bs, and ppl who have money to waste, coz apple are very capitalistic with their stuff.

Ull find it hard to find software and games.. too
AspirinE
Django
Django

Postby X-Ray » Jan 11th, '06, 20:20

the mac's have so fast prozessers that u can easaly emulate a pc and my mom and my dad have 1
X-Ray
Soldier
Soldier

Next

Return to Computing & Technology