The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

My computer freezes and shuts off for no reason.....

Hardware and Software discussion. Seek advice or share your opinion on all things technology.

My computer freezes and shuts off for no reason.....

Postby Manny_Boi » Nov 16th, '10, 06:15

I don't know what it is or what it could be but my motherboard got fried and replaced it with a new one recently so I'm ruling out "it's the motherboard" answer. I am thinking it's the ram. Everytime the computer is idle it just shuts off. Could anyone give me some insight on this?
Manny_Boi
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Re: My computer freezes and shuts off for no reason.....

Postby PhilTh3thriLL » Nov 16th, '10, 07:15

doubt it's the RAM itself, possible you installed the motherboard incorrectly? maybe some jumpers are in the wrong slots...that's just my guess without checking it out..after u installed the new motherboard did it ever work properly?
I strike a still pose
And hit you with some ill flows
That don't even make sense like dikes using dildos
PhilTh3thriLL
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Manny_Boi » Nov 16th, '10, 07:29

I;m pretty sure the motherboard was installed correctly. I notice that when it freezes when I'm running a lot of programs at once and it slows down than the screen messes up and there's a bunch of pixels on the screen.
Manny_Boi
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby ChristinaE12 » Nov 17th, '10, 00:10

Sounds like something may be overheating.. Maybe the CPU. Do you have a GPU (not onboard graphics card) by chance? Sounds more like that.
"If Life's a bitch and revenge is sweet... I'm the sweetest bitch you'll ever meet."

ChristinaE12
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Manny_Boi » Nov 17th, '10, 03:43

ChristinaD12 wrote:Sounds like something may be overheating.. Maybe the CPU. Do you have a GPU (not onboard graphics card) by chance? Sounds more like that.

My guess is the ram. And if something was wrong with the CPU it wouldn't even boot up. Besides, It's a brand new one too. I'm going to try and get 2 gigs of ram and replace my current 512 mb and see how that goes....

Also I didn't add a graphics card or anything so its just onboard.
*Crosses fingers*
Manny_Boi
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby ChristinaE12 » Nov 17th, '10, 03:59

Manny_Boi wrote:
ChristinaD12 wrote:Sounds like something may be overheating.. Maybe the CPU. Do you have a GPU (not onboard graphics card) by chance? Sounds more like that.

My guess is the ram. And if something was wrong with the CPU it wouldn't even boot up. Besides, It's a brand new one too. I'm going to try and get 2 gigs of ram and replace my current 512 mb and see how that goes....

Also I didn't add a graphics card or anything so its just onboard.
*Crosses fingers*

On the bold part...

Not necessarily. If it is indeed overheating it would work fine until it started to overheat. Then it would just restart or shut off to protect itself from further damage. I actually had to replace my GPU cause it was doing this. A CPU will do the same. As well as your motherboard. So yeah.

Are you getting any errors at all? At bootup? If it was the ram it would usually give errors at bootup.

Unfortunately.. It could be a few things. You'll have to do some trial and error. Hopefully it's the Ram though cause it's a lot cheaper than the other few things.
"If Life's a bitch and revenge is sweet... I'm the sweetest bitch you'll ever meet."

ChristinaE12
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Manny_Boi » Nov 17th, '10, 04:04

Hmm could it be possible that when my motherboard got fried it could have damaged the CPU then?
Manny_Boi
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby ChristinaE12 » Nov 17th, '10, 06:23

Yeah.. It could have very easily, especially depending on why or how the Mobo got fried to begin with.

Does the computer shut off at certain times.. Or any pattern to what you're noticing??

ChristinaE12
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Manny_Boi » Nov 17th, '10, 19:46

There is no certain pattern. All I know is that if my computer is idle for a long time it shuts off. And the reason was that I spilled crazy glue on it by accident(when i had the case open on its side).
Manny_Boi
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby ChristinaE12 » Nov 17th, '10, 20:02

Are you sure the whole thing isn't going into hibernate? When mine was set on that it would fuck with me and a few times I thought it shut off. LOL. You literally can't tell a difference other than you click your mouse or something a few times and it comes back up.

Jus checking. You never know I suppose.

ChristinaE12
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Manny_Boi » Nov 17th, '10, 20:11

Well this time it just froze :(

And I wish it were hibernating, but it isn't because it just boots up again when I press the power button.
Manny_Boi
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby ChristinaE12 » Nov 17th, '10, 22:44

Ahh.. Sorry to have to say this. But, honestly, it could be anything. It could be anything hardware related. Even possibly software. Literally just about anything. I'd try some scans on your hardware and see if any errors come up, first. And just basically trial and error. Which really fucking sucks. Been there done that.

ChristinaE12
Soldier
Soldier

Postby SaintLuke » Apr 11th, '11, 01:27

Save any pictures and music and any files you want to keep onto a flash drive or burn them to disks or something. Then reformat your harddrive and reload windows onto your computer. You should have a windows OS disk that came with your computer.

Just boot your computer from the windows OS disk, rather than your harddrive and go through the installation process. Format the harddrive ( all this is through the DOS shit ) , then reinstall windows onto the formatted partition. Itll take a total of an hour. That could very well fix your problem. A lot of times, its a software issue and not a hardware issue.

Virus or something is doing it. Happens all the time
SaintLuke
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby NicoleEM » Apr 11th, '11, 13:41

SaintLuke wrote:Save any pictures and music and any files you want to keep onto a flash drive or burn them to disks or something. Then reformat your harddrive and reload windows onto your computer. You should have a windows OS disk that came with your computer.

Just boot your computer from the windows OS disk, rather than your harddrive and go through the installation process. Format the harddrive ( all this is through the DOS shit ) , then reinstall windows onto the formatted partition. Itll take a total of an hour. That could very well fix your problem. A lot of times, its a software issue and not a hardware issue.

Virus or something is doing it. Happens all the time

This.Everytime my pc gets slow/freezes or smth i just re-install windows lol :D
"You just hurt my god damn feelin' and that was the last one i had"
NicoleEM
Renegade
Renegade

Return to Computing & Technology