The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Which devices will get Ice Cream Sandwich?

Hardware and Software discussion. Seek advice or share your opinion on all things technology.

Which devices will get Ice Cream Sandwich?

Postby asid12345678 » Nov 6th, '11, 14:30

Android 4.0 is coming, and it's going to be glorious. Now that we know exactly what the Ice Cream Sandwich is made of, only one question remains: exactly which phones will get the green light to upgrade to the newest version of Google's mobile OS? Details are beginning to trickle out from the woodwork, and below the break you can check out our list of lucky devices that have been confirmed to get the official refresh at some point in time. We're still awaiting official word from a few companies regarding their upgrade intentions, so we'll continue to add more to the list as they stream in. For now, join us after the break to find out which ones have been given the stamp of approval -- or the cold hard rejection letter.

Note: If you don't see your device listed, don't fret... yet. If it hasn't been confirmed or denied, the OEM's likely still deciding which products will get the upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich. Keep checking back here from time to time, as we'll continue to update the list.

ASUS

Official statement:
"Google recently announced the latest update for Android, Ice Cream Sandwich, which brings some exciting new features and capabilities. At ASUS, we pride ourselves on delivering a great experience with our products, thanks to frequent updates that further enhance our products' capabilities. We're delighted to confirm support for Ice Cream Sandwich on the ASUS Eee Pad Family – our aim is to bring the latest Android update to the Eee Pad Series, but at this time we are unable to set a date for its release. Please stay tuned for more news on our Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade plans."
Confirmed:
Padfone
Transformer Prime
Eee Pad Transformer
Denied:
None specified

HTC

Official statements:
We are excited about the latest update for Android, Ice Cream Sandwich, and are currently reviewing its features and functionality to determine our upgrade plans. Our goal for Android updates is to give every customer an improved user experience, which means balancing each phone's unique hardware, HTC Sense experience and the Android kernel. While our goal is to upgrade as many of our recent devices as possible, we are committed to maintaining every phone's performance and usability first. Please stay tuned for more updates on specific device upgrade plans.

From AT&T: We plan for both the Vivid and Galaxy S II Skyrocket to be upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich.
Confirmed:
HTC Rezound
HTC Vivid
Denied:
Nexus One

LG

Official statement:
LG firmly denies the rumors that claim LG will not be providing the Ice Cream Sandwich OS update for the LG Optimus 2X. These rumors are NOT true. LG is currently in the process of planning the Ice Cream Sandwich OS update for the LG Optimus 2X as well as other LG high-end smartphones. Detailed information on the Ice Cream Sandwich OS update schedule for specific models will be announced, once the Ice Cream Sandwich OS is publicly released by Google. Please stay tuned for more updates from LG.
Confirmed:
Optimus 2X
Denied:
None specified

Meizu

Official statement:
MX market remains unchanged. However, MX and M9 we will soon upgrade to 4.0 (Jack Wong, CEO).
Confirmed:
Meizu MX, M9
Denied:
None specified
Motorola

Official statement:
We've confirmed that DROID RAZR/ Motorola RAZR, DROID BIONIC, and Motorola XOOM (all editions) will get an upgrade to ICS... we have not confirmed any devices will not get ICS.
Confirmed:
Droid RAZR (and Motorola RAZR)
Droid Bionic
Xoom
Xoom 2, Xoom 2 Media Edition
Denied:
None specified

Samsung

Official statements:
Samsung Mobile U.S. has not made any official announcement plans for Ice Cream Sandwich software updates to any of our US products. We will let our customers know as soon as we have more information to share.
From AT&T: We plan for both the [HTC] Vivid and [Samsung] Galaxy S II Skyrocket to be upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich.
Confirmed:
Galaxy Nexus
Nexus S
Galaxy S II Skyrocket
Denied:
None specified
Sony Ericsson

Official statement:
Sony Ericsson is currently rolling out the upgrade to Gingerbread 2.3.4 across its entire 2011 Xperia smartphone portfolio. This software upgrade will be available through a phased roll out in select markets. Beyond Gingerbread 2.3.4, we plan to upgrade our 2011 Xperia smartphone portfolio to the next Android platform made available to us.
Confirmed:
2011 Xperia smartphone lineup
Denied:
None specified

ZTE

Official statement:
ZTE hasn't issued an official statement about Ice Cream Sandwich or when we will introduce new products using the upgraded OS. However, we continue to work very closely with Google to ensure we deliver the best possible Android user experience across all of our devices and with all of our partners.
Confirmed:
None specified
Denied:
None specified

http://www.engadget.com/updates/which-d ... -sandwich/
asid12345678
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Re: Which devices will get Ice Cream Sandwich?

Postby asid12345678 » Nov 6th, '11, 14:40

*name* wrote:I'm surprised HTC didn't release a granted statement, but I'm almost certain that every 2011 device will they've made will get ICS. Support-wise they've always been the best.

Glad to see these manufacturers step their update game up though, I remember when Motorola really didn't give a shit about updates .. but Sony Ericsson killed it with the '2011 Xperia devices', that means every smartphone they've released this year. :worship:

well , I guess every other Motorola device will now get updates right?
asid12345678
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Robbie G » Nov 9th, '11, 02:44

I really hope my Atrix gets it...
Robbie G
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby asid12345678 » Nov 9th, '11, 06:22

Robbie G wrote:I really hope my Atrix gets it...

I don't think that will happen :shakehead:
asid12345678
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Devil'sAdvocate » Nov 9th, '11, 15:39

blackberry OS 7 though!
The devil ain't on a level same as him!
Devil'sAdvocate
BOSS
BOSS

Postby asid12345678 » Nov 10th, '11, 07:33

Devil'sAdvocate wrote:blackberry OS 7 though!

i bought the new torch..nothing special :shakehead:

But I'm forced to use it for another 6 months atleast

ICS FTW!!
asid12345678
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Innovation » Nov 14th, '11, 21:16

I'm interested to see how much smoother Android devices will run on the ICS update. One of the main reasons as to why I am very critical of Android is due to its sluggish performance. As an iOS user, I'm used to the very smooth experience it offers. Needless to say, if ICS lives up to its hype, I may grab myself an S2. They're relativity cheap, too. Around £380 here in the UK.
Innovation
Role Model
Role Model

Postby asid12345678 » Nov 14th, '11, 21:29

Innovation wrote:I'm interested to see how much smoother Android devices will run on the ICS update. One of the main reasons as to why I am very critical of Android is due to its sluggish performance. As an iOS user, I'm used to the very smooth experience it offers. Needless to say, if ICS lives up to its hype, I may grab myself an S2. They're relativity cheap, too. Around £380 here in the UK.

agreed :y:

I'm an iOS user and my brother has S2 . We compare our touch screens sometimes and the whole interface on iOS is out of the world . Even though I wish it had a homescreen :flutter:
asid12345678
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Innovation » Nov 14th, '11, 21:33

asid12345678 wrote:
Innovation wrote:I'm interested to see how much smoother Android devices will run on the ICS update. One of the main reasons as to why I am very critical of Android is due to its sluggish performance. As an iOS user, I'm used to the very smooth experience it offers. Needless to say, if ICS lives up to its hype, I may grab myself an S2. They're relativity cheap, too. Around £380 here in the UK.

agreed :y:

I'm an iOS user and my brother has S2 . We compare our touch screens sometimes and the whole interface on iOS is out of the world . Even though I wish it had a homescreen :flutter:

:y:

I do also love parts of Android. ICS looks stunning, some excellent features.

*name* wrote:Defy got a 800GHz processor

GHz?! :sweating:
Innovation
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Devil'sAdvocate » Nov 14th, '11, 23:09

got half a G to throw,what should i get,an Iphone 4S or Galaxy S II?
The devil ain't on a level same as him!
Devil'sAdvocate
BOSS
BOSS

Postby asid12345678 » Nov 14th, '11, 23:28

Devil'sAdvocate wrote:got half a G to throw,what should i get,an Iphone 4S or Galaxy S II?

a very difficult question..

Samsung Galaxy Note ..best phone money can offer right now imo..but if the 5.3 inch screen is too big for you then HTC EVO 3D would be my second choice
asid12345678
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Innovation » Nov 15th, '11, 00:00

Devil'sAdvocate wrote:got half a G to throw,what should i get,an Iphone 4S or Galaxy S II?

I posted an article over viewtopic.php?f=20&t=133758. It may help you make your decision.
Innovation
Role Model
Role Model

Postby asid12345678 » Nov 15th, '11, 00:13

Innovation wrote:

I posted an article over viewtopic.php?f=20&t=133758. It may help you make your decision.

how is evo 3d not on that list ? :o
asid12345678
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Innovation » Nov 15th, '11, 00:16

asid12345678 wrote:
Innovation wrote:

how is evo 3d not on that list ? :o

The list is a bit weird. On a related note, does the 3D on the Evo give you a headache?
Innovation
Role Model
Role Model

Postby asid12345678 » Nov 15th, '11, 00:18

does it give a headache if you use it..but who uses 3d all the time right??

Plus if you don't like 3d then Motorola RAZR XT910 is DOPEE :smoking:
asid12345678
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Next

Return to Computing & Technology