The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Could someone explain to me what is a Torrent?

Hardware and Software discussion. Seek advice or share your opinion on all things technology.

Could someone explain to me what is a Torrent?

Postby KaZer » Dec 30th, '12, 05:41

I know Torrent is a download file or whatever but for some reason I just stay away anything that relates to Torrent. Few years ago, a friend told me to download something under torrent and it got my laptop a virus, fucked up my laptop (really it's my girlfriend and I got bitch at about it).

And that friend explain to me what torrent is but I can tell he is full of shit or not really "helping out a friend"

I think it's not a good idea to mess with torrent, I prefer media file because its fast and doesn't take forever or ask other member to send me a link if it's not a hassle for them to do it. I don't really like asking because I feel I am being disrespectful or the type who nags...

So, Please like an expiation about this Torrent?

#JMT&AotP #TRmetal
KaZer
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Could someone explain to me what is exactly Torrent?

Postby PAINKILLƎR » Dec 30th, '12, 05:43

I thought the reason people downloaded torrents was because it is safe... :unsure:

I wouldn't know, never downloaded a torrent... at least I don't think so.
PAINKILLƎR
Slumerican
Slumerican

Re: Could someone explain to me what is a Torrent?

Postby SliK » Dec 30th, '12, 06:15

I only download torrents. Never had a problem.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Solace » Dec 30th, '12, 06:23

SliK wrote:I only download torrents. Never had a problem.

Me too. It's never given me any reason to stop since 2008 when I started.
Solace
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Blu » Dec 30th, '12, 06:36

Always check what others are saying about the torrent before you download it. And make sure to download from a safe site like Piratebay or KickAssTorrents.
Almostlity wrote:Grow up faggots

EminemInsider wrote:Jesus Christ, HOW FUCKING STUPID ARE YOU PEOPLE?!?!?!?!?!
Blu
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby SliK » Dec 31st, '12, 23:43

If you can join a private torrent site you'll neve have issues again. You'll max out your bandwidth on every download and never get a virus.

As long as you seed.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby TonyTilt » Feb 25th, '13, 19:19

Blu wrote:Always check what others are saying about the torrent before you download it. And make sure to download from a safe site like Piratebay or KickAssTorrents.

^ This, and just make sure you're not downloading un-necessary files like if you're downloading a CD for instance. You don't need to download the .txt files that come with it, and you should just get a folder full of .mp3 's.

If it contains a .zip of any kind and you're running windows. Find another torrent.
Solace wrote:Finna catch Tony brushing his teeth in the middle of chugging Jack Daniels

#Slumerican
TonyTilt
Renegade
Renegade

Postby AbramIsaac » Feb 25th, '13, 23:11

To answer your question, a torrent is kind of like a modern day version of the old P2P sharing platforms from back in the day, like Limewire or Imesh. The idea then was to have a program, search for a file in that program, and then download that file in pieces from multiple users. Now, you find a torrent on a website, and use your torrent program to open it and download the actual file from multiple users that have already downloaded it.

Torrents aren't any less safe than direct links...I mean, the idea is that you're downloading something that many people also have on their computers, so they have no motivation to fuck you over, because they have the same files. There's feedback left on all of the sites that list the torrents as well, which should tell you all you need to know. As far as getting caught, some ISPs monitor torrent traffic, but the only time you'll run into any criminal action is if you're actually hosting files for download. Even then, it's only a slight risk.

Torrents are good, people are just freaked out by them now for some reason.
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

"Poison the well, your enemies are thirsty!" — Modest Mouse
Jesus Christ wrote:Fuck all South Pacific island and island-continents.
AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby SajN » Feb 25th, '13, 23:38

AbramIsaac wrote:Torrents are good, people are just freaked out by them now for some reason.

Just like weed, right? :shifty:
! Is He Nuts? No, He's InSajN !
SajN
The Almighty
The Almighty

Return to Computing & Technology