The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Anybody here into programming?

Hardware and Software discussion. Seek advice or share your opinion on all things technology.

Anybody here into programming?

Postby viJilance » Jun 12th, '13, 06:21

I'm considering beginning programming, I really know nothing to begin but I'm always on the fucking computer anyways.
Fuck all of you 1990's faggots. 1989 master race reporting in.

viJilance
Soldier
Soldier

Re: Anybody here into programming?

Postby BigBoss » Jun 12th, '13, 06:28

I know a little bit of java and a little bit of of C++, and I can do basic math arithmetic on C++ as well, taking C# in summer
RIP IN PEACE VIGILANCE
BigBoss
Role Model
Role Model

Postby viJilance » Jun 12th, '13, 06:32

BigBoss wrote:I know a little bit of java and a little bit of of C++, and I can do basic math arithmetic on C++ as well, taking C# in summer

is it at all rewarding? It looks tedious, repetitive, boring, stressful, and hard.

viJilance
Soldier
Soldier

Postby BigBoss » Jun 12th, '13, 07:01

It's all of those, but God Damn dat feel when you finish off your first program, or the final version of a program.
RIP IN PEACE VIGILANCE
BigBoss
Role Model
Role Model

Postby viJilance » Jun 12th, '13, 07:14

BigBoss wrote:It's all of those, but God Damn dat feel when you finish off your first program, or the final version of a program.

dat unmotivation

viJilance
Soldier
Soldier

Postby BigBoss » Jun 12th, '13, 07:25

Yea I have the same problem tbh, it's fun though.

A few months ago I made a relatively simple program that calculates the users BMI one they enter their height (which I can arrange to be entered with cm or ft/inches) then their weight, which can be kg or lbs. that was for Java.

my final project for Java was to create a phonebook application. That was hard as fuck but my group was smart enough to pull it off with a bang.

I had to drop out of my C++ class so I didn't get to do much, but the best thing I made in there was an ATM simulator
RIP IN PEACE VIGILANCE
BigBoss
Role Model
Role Model

Postby viJilance » Jun 12th, '13, 07:31

BigBoss wrote:Yea I have the same problem tbh, it's fun though.

A few months ago I made a relatively simple program that calculates the users BMI one they enter their height (which I can arrange to be entered with cm or ft/inches) then their weight, which can be kg or lbs. that was for Java.

my final project for Java was to create a phonebook application. That was hard as fuck but my group was smart enough to pull it off with a bang.

I had to drop out of my C++ class so I didn't get to do much, but the best thing I made in there was an ATM simulator

sounds cool actually, on average how long do these take?

viJilance
Soldier
Soldier

Postby BigBoss » Jun 12th, '13, 07:39

BMI took a week,

Phonebook took about a month cause it was a shitton of coding and we changed it about half way through, plus had to follow very specific rules

ATM one took a week

Usually my professors gave us a week, excluding the phonebook
RIP IN PEACE VIGILANCE
BigBoss
Role Model
Role Model

Postby BigBoss » Jun 12th, '13, 07:40

Then about 3-6 hours a day unless you're really good and know exactly what you're doing. Im still a beginner so eh
RIP IN PEACE VIGILANCE
BigBoss
Role Model
Role Model

Postby viJilance » Jun 12th, '13, 07:41

BigBoss wrote:BMI took a week,

Phonebook took about a month cause it was a shitton of coding and we changed it about half way through, plus had to follow very specific rules

ATM one took a week

Usually my professors gave us a week, excluding the phonebook

But is this all in school group work? Do you think it would be plausible to learn at my own pace at home?

viJilance
Soldier
Soldier

Postby BigBoss » Jun 12th, '13, 07:46

The only group one was the phonebook, I did the others on my own.

Learning on your own isn't bad I guess, I learned alot from stackoverflow.com and code academy. Plus you can buy textbooks and study them, then do the practice problems in them. My java book was at least 1000 pages, though, there's others.
RIP IN PEACE VIGILANCE
BigBoss
Role Model
Role Model

Postby viJilance » Jun 12th, '13, 07:49

BigBoss wrote:The only group one was the phonebook, I did the others on my own.

Learning on your own isn't bad I guess, I learned alot from stackoverflow.com and code academy. Plus you can buy textbooks and study them, then do the practice problems in them. My java book was at least 1000 pages, though, there's others.

do you think you'll land a job easy and make good money? do you know anybody in the field already?

also, how long is your course?

viJilance
Soldier
Soldier

Postby BigBoss » Jun 12th, '13, 07:56

I need to finish my maths courses at my college, so it'll be another 1.5 years before I get out to a actual state college, then from there I hope to get something small then work my way up from there.

I do know that the computer programming world wants more people, big places are always looking for programmers. And programmers usually make great wages, one of the reasons why I went for CompSci.

Personally I know maybe 1 or 2 people, but once I get good I have a hook up at EA headquarters... it's a 20 min drive from my home.

My classes go by the quarter system.. so about 8 weeks for each class, minus summer class which is 6
RIP IN PEACE VIGILANCE
BigBoss
Role Model
Role Model

Postby viJilance » Jun 12th, '13, 08:16

BigBoss wrote:I need to finish my maths courses at my college, so it'll be another 1.5 years before I get out to a actual state college, then from there I hope to get something small then work my way up from there.

I do know that the computer programming world wants more people, big places are always looking for programmers. And programmers usually make great wages, one of the reasons why I went for CompSci.

Personally I know maybe 1 or 2 people, but once I get good I have a hook up at EA headquarters... it's a 20 min drive from my home.

My classes go by the quarter system.. so about 8 weeks for each class, minus summer class which is 6

Damn I'm just sick of school, my one year in college was a waste, I want to change fields, programming seems like a good choice.

What do programmers generally do for a company? I'm sure they don't make projects like you do in school, can't i skip the whole process and learn what they need the most?

viJilance
Soldier
Soldier

Postby BigBoss » Jun 12th, '13, 08:34

Im thinking of electrical engineering tbh.

As far as I know, companies won't even spit at you if you don't have a degree in it. So you should probably get that
RIP IN PEACE VIGILANCE
BigBoss
Role Model
Role Model

Next

Return to Computing & Technology