The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

question about ram

Hardware and Software discussion. Seek advice or share your opinion on all things technology.

question about ram

Postby ,-,'-{Bar}-',-, » Mar 27th, '08, 22:21

well i need to upgrade my ram, i dont know shit about computers, but ive figured out i need to buy 1gb ram and then get a guy to put it in for me..thats all kool.

my question is, does it matter the make of the ram i buy ? or is there certain types that wont work in PC's or certain types only work with certain things ect.

i just need to be cuatious coz i dont want to fuck ym computer up :sweating:
,-,'-{Bar}-',-,
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Re: question about ram

Postby matz » Mar 27th, '08, 22:28

ye well basically there are different types of ram, theres ddr ddr2 ddr3 etc, u need to find out what ram is compatible with your motherboard.....and with most things, if you buy from a well known ram firm, it will generally be better and more reliable.

reliable known makes -

kingston
crucial
corsair

and tbh u realy dont need to get someone to fit it for you, u just slot it in lol
matz
Role Model
Role Model

Postby ,-,'-{Bar}-',-, » Mar 27th, '08, 22:31

matz wrote:ye well basically there are different types of ram, theres ddr ddr2 ddr3 etc, u need to find out what ram is compatible with your motherboard.....and with most things, if you buy from a well known ram firm, it will generally be better and more reliable.

reliable known makes -

kingston
crucial
corsair

and tbh u realy dont need to get someone to fit it for you, u just slot it in lol

something as simple as "slot it in" for me, ends up me blowing up my computer and shit :sweating: but ill ask my cousin who is more clued up on computers what to do lol

and the make of the one i seen was kingston, so if there a good chance that will be compatabile ?

do you know if there is anywere i can check to see if its compatabile ?
,-,'-{Bar}-',-,
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby irfman » Mar 27th, '08, 22:52

There is one way, got this website http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/index.aspx , download the scanner thingy, wait a minute or two and it should tell you infomation about the memory in your computer and what u can upgrade and the suitable upgrades.

Hope that helps.

:y:
Motherfuckers, say that I'm foolish I only talk about jewels
Do you fools listen to music or do you just skim through it? - Jay Z
irfman
Soldier
Soldier

Postby ,-,'-{Bar}-',-, » Mar 27th, '08, 23:22

irfman wrote:There is one way, got this website http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner/index.aspx , download the scanner thingy, wait a minute or two and it should tell you infomation about the memory in your computer and what u can upgrade and the suitable upgrades.

Hope that helps.

:y:

yeh it does man, thanx :worship:

it showed me a couple fo ones that are compatible, but they are pricey, they kingston one i seen was £6 from amazon, but atleast i got a back-up plan, ill jump into PC world tomorrow and ask them if a kingstom ram is compatible with my computer :happy:
,-,'-{Bar}-',-,
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Robbie G » Mar 30th, '08, 04:13

If you can find out what type of motherboard you have i'll find you some nice ram.

Assuming you have ddr2(unless the pc's from like 2000) this looks decent:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820145525

Try this to find your computer info:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html

I had to go through all this when I re-did my computer lol. :whistle:
Robbie G
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Return to Computing & Technology