The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Help with my CPU fan

Hardware and Software discussion. Seek advice or share your opinion on all things technology.

Help with my CPU fan

Postby DrunkenDeath » Aug 16th, '09, 22:38

I turned my computer on, and it started up with a warning about the speed on my CPU fan being low and something about it might failing?

I went onto yahoo answers, turned off the computer and waited like two hours. i turned it on, the warning message didn't pop up again, but six people responded with several different answers. it's a hot sunday, a local computer repair store is closed and i put a fan by the computer, and occasionally sticking a cold soda can by the fan that sucks in air.

does anyone here know something that I should know? I appreciate any information you give me, thanks!
I'm that dude.

I want to talk shit, but i'll probably get banned for it from now on :sweating:

fuckin' stalkers.
DrunkenDeath
Renegade
Renegade

Re: Help with my CPU fan

Postby Robbie G » Aug 16th, '09, 23:21

I'd take it to a shop and have them get a new fan. You don't want the fan to shut off than have cpu overheat. :n:
Robbie G
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby DrunkenDeath » Aug 16th, '09, 23:46

I'm calling the computer store tomorrow when I wake up. The computer has a clear cover, and the fan seems to be spinning. I've taken it off twice before to clean it. I guess I'm going to leave it on for a couple more hours doing some work, take it off and look at the fan. I'll turn it back on at like 1am when everyone is asleep and do some work that I need to do.

It could just be the heat, it's a hot day. You never know.
I'm that dude.

fuckin' stalkers.
DrunkenDeath
Renegade
Renegade

Postby James R. » Aug 17th, '09, 06:21

Keep the fan by it and that should suffice until you can figure out the problem. If the fan is spinning and isn't dirty then there may be something wrong with it that's causing it not to get enough power to run properly, and you're right it could honestly just be that it's a hot day.
James R.
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby DrunkenDeath » Aug 18th, '09, 01:04

i walked all the way downtown to hand in job applications and to go into that computer store. and couldn't find the store... :unsure:

their website showed a map of where they were located. i walked into a nearby store and they moved to another location over a month ago... without updating their website
..........................................................................................Image

i came home and called them, and i was too late. they closed like 15 minutes ago when i got home.
ugh... well.... my computer's doing fine, i probably don't have to worry. and on another forum that i don't visit much said
Also I wouldn't really worry about it if it's only happened once and when booting up. The CPU fan on startup doesn't exactly run on full speed, and due to the temperature of your room which you have stated was quite hot, the fan was still running at a low speed and hasn't adjusted to the temperatures since you've only just turned it on.

so yeah. thanks for the tips. last i cleaned my computer was like last month or so. this computer store i speak of isn't a huge company, it's ran by people with brains and aren't trying to constantly make money. it's a one of a kind store, there's a lot of only-one stores in the world. they charge like 20 dollars.
I'm that dude.

fuckin' stalkers.
DrunkenDeath
Renegade
Renegade

Postby DelinQuent » Sep 9th, '09, 18:20

As others said, the fan by the computer will help.

The warning message is just letting you know that the fan isn't spinning as fast as it should. This could be caused by dust buildup, or just the fan's electric motor starting to burn out. Replacing the fan yourself shouldn't pose too much of a problem. It should come off the heatsink rather easily, however, if you remove the heatsink from the processor, be sure to reapply thermal paste between the processor and heatsink.
DelinQuent
Soldier
Soldier

Return to Computing & Technology