The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

OS Help Peeps!

Hardware and Software discussion. Seek advice or share your opinion on all things technology.

OS Help Peeps!

Postby Solace » Aug 28th, '09, 21:29

Okay so like a while back i used to work on Windows Xp...then I added Windows 7 when microsoft was letting out the first beta. Now i can go on either, but i downloaded an iso with the full windows 7 already activated and final release and i wanna use it. I'm gunna back up my files on my C drive and put windows 7 on the d drive. But if i do this will it overwrite the previous OS on the D drive or just add along with it or overwrite completely?

sorry if im making this sound complex too
Solace
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Re: OS Help Peeps!

Postby Robbie G » Aug 30th, '09, 01:14

It should just overwrite it if I understand correctly.

When you say drive C and D are they different hardrives or just different partitions on the same one? Unless they're two separate hardrives I would recommend backing it up somewhere else just in case. Because..well, shit happens lol. :y:
Robbie G
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby neversnooze » Aug 30th, '09, 08:20

Yes it would overwrite

The best solution for you Solace, if your that worried, why not buy an external hard drive. you may spend between 70 to 120, but it will make it much easier on yourself.

but like shady babie said do you have multiple drives or just one hard drive?
Sometimes I stay up so late that I have my morning coffee before I go to bed
neversnooze
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Solace » Aug 31st, '09, 03:50

Thanks guys for the responds, and don't worry, two completely different drives. And I would get an external hard drive but its a little hard for a 14 year old to get cash if you know what I mean lmao. Im looking out for jobs this year though, hopefully thatll help. And thanks, next week Ill be doing it i guess, good thing it overwrites :smoking:
Solace
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Robbie G » Sep 1st, '09, 02:57

Yeah you should be fine. What's the worst that can happen if it's all backed up on another hardrive? :whistle:
Robbie G
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby DelinQuent » Sep 9th, '09, 18:16

You CANNOT boot to an external hard drive, so throw that idea out the window.

You can get a program called Partition Magic that will allow you to add another partition to your D drive which will enable you to install windows 7 without overwriting any of the previous installations.

By the way, Windows 7 is phenomenal. I go to school for Computer Systems & Networking and my school is a part of the Microsoft IT Academy so we all get a free Technet subscription so I have a completely legal and full version of Windows 7 Professional for free.

Let me know how it goes :y:
DelinQuent
Soldier
Soldier

Postby TommiTMX » Sep 25th, '09, 15:01

DelinQuent wrote:You CANNOT boot to an external hard drive, so throw that idea out the window.

You can get a program called Partition Magic that will allow you to add another partition to your D drive which will enable you to install windows 7 without overwriting any of the previous installations.

By the way, Windows 7 is phenomenal. I go to school for Computer Systems & Networking and my school is a part of the Microsoft IT Academy so we all get a free Technet subscription so I have a completely legal and full version of Windows 7 Professional for free.

Let me know how it goes :y:

You CAN boot from an external Hard Drive but not all the time :) (although from my reading no one suggested it, I think the mention of an external HDD was for the use of backing up files).

And I do agree, Windows 7 is awesome :)
Socrates wrote:True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Mars wrote:Ay Yo I'm tired of hip hop being about the same lame things, We are what we make it, and I ain't here for friends, Half of yall yell gangsta! Most of yall pretend... ,Sex sells, aids spread, money talks, people shot, Decade and a half and we still ain't, learned from Tupac!
TommiTMX
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby DelinQuent » Sep 25th, '09, 16:44

the only way you're booting to an external hard drive is through a PE (Pre-Installed Environment). So you'd have to have something very similar to the Ultimate Boot CD, where it's just a very basic and stripped down version of windows. No installing programs or anything at all basically. Which is only good for doing diagnostics on a machine, so booting to an external hard drive is useless to the average user at this point in time.
DelinQuent
Soldier
Soldier

Return to Computing & Technology