The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

PC or Mac

Hardware and Software discussion. Seek advice or share your opinion on all things technology.

PC or Mac

Postby Spyder » Dec 12th, '09, 03:33

which one

i got in like a hour long argument(no constant, it was facebook so page refresh) about PC was better, hes saying that Mac's cant get viruses and theyre so reliable and all that. but uhhh yeah they can get viruses and my PC is reliable so hes a fucking douche lol

your thoughts, please little explaniation why u like your choice. and diss like the other
ImageImageImage
Spyder
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Re: PC or Mac

Postby Solace » Dec 12th, '09, 21:45

Both are good. I use PC because, well I have one and I'm not going to go out and buy a Mac when I have a perfectly nice computer already. If you get a Mac, well then you shouldn't be into gaming or else your fucked.
Solace
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Spyder » Dec 12th, '09, 22:41

yea he said something about the media being good and everything, but i mean people with cool edit or what have you mix with that. and record with it so its whatever.
and with a good PC your not gonna freze often nor will the start up take 5 mintues, mine on an average takes 20 seconds. but i would like it to never freeze. i just like the initial setup/look of a PC as far as, my school has mac's and you have to do a bunch of uneeded stuff it seems like :sweating:
ImageImageImage
Spyder
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Nimbus_9 » Dec 12th, '09, 23:00

it's not PC vs Mac, it's how much your willing to spend in the end

you get a PC with massive RAM and your in good shape, the average mac is going to > the average PC because on average people buy cheap ones as apposed to there being no cheap Macs
............................If You'd Like A Sig...I'm Your Guy...............................
Nimbus_9
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Spyder » Dec 12th, '09, 23:01

just the way you get to stuff, idk really ahhah
like the doc/toolbar i dont like the looks of and the internet/programs are in a drop down menu :sweating:
ImageImageImage
Spyder
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Solace » Dec 13th, '09, 03:25

Scott M wrote:your friend is right. viruses are made specially to infect Windows, not Mac. well, i don't really have much knowledge on this, but i was on Windows side of the argument, until my little brother, who knows fuck loads about computers, showed me exactly why Mac was better, and i was blown away. i now have a mac and it's amazing. it never freezes, you never have to press 'ctrl alt del' whenever something fucks up, because it NEVER fucks up, it's just really really good, really smooth. it takes literally 10 seconds to start up from pressing the power button to actually being on the the desktop, as opposed to windows which can take up to like 5 minutes to load fully.

there is a reason why Mac laptops are much more expensive than Windows based laptops.

Mac > PC. especially if you're into design, media. and that includes recording songs. all the top artists use a Mac, i have seen it in studios, you never see a PC in studios. at all. Look at the Tim Westwood Eminem freestyle, you'll see that Westwood and the DJ were both using Mac.

it's no contest really. and whoever say's that a PC is better, has obviously not got a Mac, or has got any good experience with it. it takes time to become accustomed. but once you are, you never go back.

a Mac owner who uses no security software at all runs less risk of being infected by spyware or a virus than a Windows user who obsessively protects his or her PC.

just look at this if you're in doubt.

http://apcmag.com/15_reasons_macs_are_s ... indows.htm

I have to agree with all of that right there. I just don't like it because of the gaming experience. And yes I definitely have wanted a Mac laptop for a while now, but I've gotta wait til I get a job or some means of saving up enough cash for something that expensive.
Solace
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby TommiTMX » Dec 18th, '09, 10:59

Tbh there is a lot of false propaganda surrounding Macs that people automatically assume is true. And the most annoying one is that "there are no viruses for Macs", the only reason for that is, whats the point?
If I went out and made a Virus for a Mac I would be targeting a minute percentage of the world of computer users, it would be pointless and not worth the effort. It's not that it's impossible to make a virus for a Mac, many people have done it and will continue to do so, but on the most part it's a largely redundant exercise when you are targetting the vast majority of internet users by just hitting Windows.
If the roles were reversed people would be saying the same about Windows.

As for never freezing etc. sure you could go along that theory, but with Intel support only recently added (and Intel have been ahead of AMD for a long long time) not to mention very choppy hardware support and a complete lack of upgradability.
A year and a half ago I spent over £1000 on my PC, custom built..it's faster than a Mac, more powerful than a Mac and plays games better than a Mac that would have cost me over £2000. Whats the point? For the sake of having the most supported Operating System around (yes there is a lot more software for Windows than there is for Macs) at a fraction of the cost? I'm all in. My PC never crashes, freezes, nor has it had any viruses in the time that I've had it, actually scratch that, I've never had a virus full stop on PC's since I started using them around 12 years ago. The only time people get viruses is when they have no clue what they're doing on the internet and click on stupid things (although I do concede there is that tiny amount of people who are careful and actually get hit by a well designed virus).

So yeah thats my rant over for now, alL I'm saying is don't instantly believe Macs are better because they're "safer", if all PC users swapped to Mac the roles would be reversed :).

I do note though that one point mentioned is that Macs are incredible for MultiMedia based work, this is very true it is something they are very proficient at.
Socrates wrote:True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Mars wrote:Ay Yo I'm tired of hip hop being about the same lame things, We are what we make it, and I ain't here for friends, Half of yall yell gangsta! Most of yall pretend... ,Sex sells, aids spread, money talks, people shot, Decade and a half and we still ain't, learned from Tupac!
TommiTMX
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby BILI » Dec 19th, '09, 16:10

PC
BILI
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby DelinQuent » Dec 22nd, '09, 03:39

Mac OS is built upon Unix, which is an open source OS. This means that while Macs are infected by viruses less often, they are FAR easier to hack.

Picture yourself as a hacker. You want to write a virus to steal credit card information. 90% of computers connected to the internet are on Windows, 8% on Mac, and the other 2% on various forms of Linux (not real percentages, just making a point). Which OS are you going to write your virus for?

As for someone who obsessively protects their PC, I run one single antivirus program, Norton Antivirus 2010 and i literally NEVER get infected. You have to be smart when using a computer. Not smart as in knowing all about computers, but smart in general. You'll find that most people who get crippling viruses are just generally clueless when it comes to using a computer at all.

to be completely on topic in the debate.

For someone who has never touched a computer they will absolutely LOVE a mac vs a PC. For someone who has used a PC for years, they will have a hard time with Mac.

Now let's look at price vs hardware. I'll use my personal computer as a reference point. I built my computer. I bought an Intel Core i7 920 (4 Cores, 8 processing threads, Windows sees it at 8 processors), an Intel DX58SO motherboard, 4GB of DDR3 ram, got an old video card from a friend for free, and bought a 550W power supply. I got an amazing deal on the processor and motherboard thru working at geek squad. In total i spent about $500, normal price is about $7-800. For the exact same thing in a Mac, you're looking at EASILY over $2,000.

This isn't just my computer, it's all computers. You can get the exact same hardware as a Mac for literally half the price in most circumstances.
DelinQuent
Soldier
Soldier

Postby dR3 » Dec 26th, '09, 05:05

PC ftw.
^Thanks Maybe.
Spyder wrote:The silent king of spam.

Killa wrote:Me & dR3 represent the future bitch!!!

Killa wrote:dR3 stay winning...
dR3
Django
Django

Postby Dark Blue » Dec 26th, '09, 08:27

dR.dR3 wrote:PC ftw.

yup yup :y:
HATERS If you worked your dreams like you do your mouth - things would happen for you
Dark Blue
Addict
Addict

Postby TommiTMX » Dec 28th, '09, 23:31

DelinQuent wrote:Mac OS is built upon Unix, which is an open source OS. This means that while Macs are infected by viruses less often, they are FAR easier to hack.

Picture yourself as a hacker. You want to write a virus to steal credit card information. 90% of computers connected to the internet are on Windows, 8% on Mac, and the other 2% on various forms of Linux (not real percentages, just making a point). Which OS are you going to write your virus for?

As for someone who obsessively protects their PC, I run one single antivirus program, Norton Antivirus 2010 and i literally NEVER get infected. You have to be smart when using a computer. Not smart as in knowing all about computers, but smart in general. You'll find that most people who get crippling viruses are just generally clueless when it comes to using a computer at all.

to be completely on topic in the debate.

For someone who has never touched a computer they will absolutely LOVE a mac vs a PC. For someone who has used a PC for years, they will have a hard time with Mac.

Now let's look at price vs hardware. I'll use my personal computer as a reference point. I built my computer. I bought an Intel Core i7 920 (4 Cores, 8 processing threads, Windows sees it at 8 processors), an Intel DX58SO motherboard, 4GB of DDR3 ram, got an old video card from a friend for free, and bought a 550W power supply. I got an amazing deal on the processor and motherboard thru working at geek squad. In total i spent about $500, normal price is about $7-800. For the exact same thing in a Mac, you're looking at EASILY over $2,000.

This isn't just my computer, it's all computers. You can get the exact same hardware as a Mac for literally half the price in most circumstances.

Everything here is perfectly true and awesome, but why waste an awesome computer by using a shit anti-virus? :whistle:

Go go get rid of Norton and I 100% back this post :)

Mars wrote:Ay Yo I'm tired of hip hop being about the same lame things, We are what we make it, and I ain't here for friends, Half of yall yell gangsta! Most of yall pretend... ,Sex sells, aids spread, money talks, people shot, Decade and a half and we still ain't, learned from Tupac!
TommiTMX
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby DelinQuent » Dec 29th, '09, 04:27

whoa whoa, Norton 3 years ago was absolute shit.

i definitely recommend you try the new line or Norton products, they're seriously 100% different from the bullshit they used to be
DelinQuent
Soldier
Soldier

Postby TommiTMX » Dec 30th, '09, 02:00

DelinQuent wrote:whoa whoa, Norton 3 years ago was absolute shit.

i definitely recommend you try the new line or Norton products, they're seriously 100% different from the bullshit they used to be

Hehe it still uses mass resources compared to a lot of Anti-Viruses and has a lower detection rate than other cheaper and more efficient options.

Oh and the Firewall is still a bitch xD

Although the Quorum is definitely a step in an awesome direction :)

Meh I may install it on a random test PC but theres just so many things I dislike, even the horrible interface thats annoyingly cluttered and scattered. In all fairness though I only want an AntiVirus to be an AntiVirus, half of the extra features Norton offers don't interest me in the slightest :)

TommiTMX
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby DelinQuent » Dec 30th, '09, 03:19

we're getting off-topic but i agree, i don't want your fucking firewall. I just want your antivirus lol
DelinQuent
Soldier
Soldier

Next

Return to Computing & Technology