The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

PC or Mac

Hardware and Software discussion. Seek advice or share your opinion on all things technology.

Re: PC or Mac

Postby Robbie G » Dec 30th, '09, 16:44

DelinQuent wrote:Mac OS is built upon Unix, which is an open source OS. This means that while Macs are infected by viruses less often, they are FAR easier to hack.

Picture yourself as a hacker. You want to write a virus to steal credit card information. 90% of computers connected to the internet are on Windows, 8% on Mac, and the other 2% on various forms of Linux (not real percentages, just making a point). Which OS are you going to write your virus for?

As for someone who obsessively protects their PC, I run one single antivirus program, Norton Antivirus 2010 and i literally NEVER get infected. You have to be smart when using a computer. Not smart as in knowing all about computers, but smart in general. You'll find that most people who get crippling viruses are just generally clueless when it comes to using a computer at all.

to be completely on topic in the debate.

For someone who has never touched a computer they will absolutely LOVE a mac vs a PC. For someone who has used a PC for years, they will have a hard time with Mac.

Now let's look at price vs hardware. I'll use my personal computer as a reference point. I built my computer. I bought an Intel Core i7 920 (4 Cores, 8 processing threads, Windows sees it at 8 processors), an Intel DX58SO motherboard, 4GB of DDR3 ram, got an old video card from a friend for free, and bought a 550W power supply. I got an amazing deal on the processor and motherboard thru working at geek squad. In total i spent about $500, normal price is about $7-800. For the exact same thing in a Mac, you're looking at EASILY over $2,000.

This isn't just my computer, it's all computers. You can get the exact same hardware as a Mac for literally half the price in most circumstances.

Amen. :worship:

Plus in a couple years when you want to upgrade you won't need to buy a completely new computer. :y:
Robbie G
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Previous

Return to Computing & Technology