The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

I Need Your Advice

Hardware and Software discussion. Seek advice or share your opinion on all things technology.

Re: I Need Your Advice

Postby AbramIsaac » Jan 27th, '10, 01:05

Damn...I'm on a 4 year old Toshiba satellite with like...1 GB of ram.

:(
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

"Poison the well, your enemies are thirsty!" — Modest Mouse
Jesus Christ wrote:Fuck all South Pacific island and island-continents.
AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby squall » Jan 27th, '10, 15:48

Go for any HP/Dell Laptop with an Intel i3/i5/i7 processor only (AMD Counterparts run Too hot)

and Remember, even if ur laptop has more than 4 GB of memory, it will NEVER be in use unless you install the 64 bit version of windows! the 32 bit version ( which usually comes pre-installed) will support a maximum of 3.2 GB of RAM ( Although any system diagnostic tool will accurately report the theoretical amount of RAM).

BTW, no application till now ( not even any game ) requires more than 3 GB of RAM
squall
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby DelinQuent » Jan 27th, '10, 23:08

^HP.... You're kidding right?
DelinQuent
Soldier
Soldier

Postby squall » Jan 29th, '10, 00:40

DelinQuent wrote:^HP.... You're kidding right?

No man i aint. Its everybody's personal experience with the lappy's. My Dad's & My elder Bro's HP lappy have been running Smooth as fuck for the last 4 years. Besides, Hp's Customer Care service are Good Enough and better than Toshiba, Asus, IMO. HP is a trusted brand here in India after all.

And about that Charts link of Square trade that you gave, well, HP is at the top in laptop sales worldwide, so its something pretty obvious the more units it ships, the more defects will be found. That's the only reason the percentage is high. Cause HP Sells more ! Asus' & Toshiba's sales figures are nothing compared to Hp's!

Besides, i think 60% of people dont know how to take proper care of their laptops. Especially, the cleaning of heatsink/fan part. They dont understand that placing the laptop on a bed blocks the air vents. And this leads to accumulation of more dust. Thats the reason a laptop has to be placed on a hard surface. And even after 2 years of continuous operation , People dont seem to worry a shit about cleaning the air vents by taking it to a authorized dealer. Or at least by using a Compressed Air Can. There are many ways to do so, its just that people dont know ! Accumulation of more dust = More Heat = Over Heating = Damaging of internal components. !!

I'd also like to site another incident. A year back, many HP users placed complaints about their laptops not functioning properly. After HP investigated the case, it found defects in the Nvidia GPU chip of the laptops. Ever Since then HP has stopped shipping Nvidia GPUs in its laptops and now you can see only ATI GPUs.

Well its your personal choice, buy anythin you like but IMO it should be a HP/Dell only :)
squall
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby squall » Jan 29th, '10, 01:24

Coleon wrote:
squall wrote:
And about that Charts link of Square trade that you gave, well, HP is at the top in laptop sales worldwide, so its something pretty obvious the more units it ships, the more defects will be found. That's the only reason the percentage is high. Cause HP Sells more ! Asus' & Toshiba's sales figures are nothing compared to Hp's!

it's based on percentage....not amount...the playing field is level in this case

yeah so ? the more u sell ... the more defective units shall be found .. and higher will be the percentage.
Do u think that if Toshiba/Asus sold like HP ... the %age in their case w'd remain same .. hmm ? :whistle:
squall
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby squall » Jan 29th, '10, 01:38

Coleon wrote:dude your logic is off here :happy:

if more are sold yes more will be defective but there will also be more normal ones also allowing the percentage to stay the same

Hmmm .. thats probable ! But it cant be guaranteed .. right ? We may find more defective lappy's instead of normal ones if they sold like Hp. its a crazy ride 4 HP .. they sell insanely high no. of units worldwide

These charts are not providing accurate information until you know how many of each are out there and were analyzed. The more products one company has in the market allows for the possibility that there are more failures. It also doesn't quantify failures that are due to user error (they are laptops afterall.. dropping and spilling happen a lot). I have to say that considering the number of laptops that Dell has in the market, it's fairly impressive on the chart.. but again, without solid numbers, it's hard to take much out of this chart without making assumptions.. such as: assuming that Asus doesn't have nearly as many laptops out there as any of the other brands, they have a much lower chance of hitting a failure, right? So of course they will have an impressive number. Compare three Fords to 200 Toyotas, and chances are, Toyota will come out as the worse of the two, even though they may actually not be if compared in equal numbers.
squall
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby neversnooze » Jan 30th, '10, 05:01

on my behalf, DelinQuent recommendation was far more expensive while mine was cheaper and affordable, he is right but i know that you are 15 and you do not have the kind of money. all laptops are stable and reviewed through the fca before being in production. Really coleon , its all up to you, trying to help you out bro. these days its impossible to get a good price on a good machine. for some reason the competitors keep there prices the same, so searching other competitors is pointless. maybe you can save like couple of bucks but nothing big and nothing worth wild.
Sometimes I stay up so late that I have my morning coffee before I go to bed
neversnooze
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Robbie G » Feb 2nd, '10, 04:38

have you decided yet?
Robbie G
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby AbramIsaac » Feb 6th, '10, 23:52

Typing to the TRShady world from the computer I built the other night.

AMD 64 Phenom Quad-Core
DVD Dual Layer Burner
19" Widescreen Westgate Monitor
2 GB RAM (Small, I know)
2 Terabyte Hard Drive
Windows 7 64-Bit Professional

I'm probably getting either a Audiophile 2496 card, or picking up a USB mic. I already have an M-Audio Axiom 25 keyboard controller, and Ableton Live (which fucking rocks). Also going to pick up some more RAM ASAP.

All in all, it cost me something like 650.
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby AbramIsaac » Feb 7th, '10, 00:04

Coleon wrote:
AbramIsaac wrote:Typing to the TRShady world from the computer I built the other night.

AMD 64 Phenom Quad-Core
DVD Dual Layer Burner
19" Widescreen Westgate Monitor
2 GB RAM (Small, I know)
2 Terabyte Hard Drive
Windows 7 64-Bit Professional

I'm probably getting either a Audiophile 2496 card, or picking up a USB mic. I already have an M-Audio Axiom 25 keyboard controller, and Ableton Live (which fucking rocks). Also going to pick up some more RAM ASAP.

All in all, it cost me something like 650.

sounds crazy man, mine cost 899

That's a nice laptop, though, for sure. I have a Toshiba Satellite from nearly four years ago, and it still runs fine. It'd run better if I properly maintained it, but it's a hell of a computer. It was even one of the lower-end ones, I think it was like 650 bucks new, and it only had an Intel Celeron in it.

Yours will last you for a long time, and it'll do you well for sure. Maybe I missed it, but it has Windows 7, right?

AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby AbramIsaac » Feb 7th, '10, 00:14

Hot damn, I love your viral marketing!

:worship:

AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby DelinQuent » Feb 7th, '10, 02:31

best buy computers have a program called ARCHIE that automatically deletes and resets anything a customer may have changed or added. so the homepage would have lasted for a max of about 5 mins lol
DelinQuent
Soldier
Soldier

Postby dR3 » Feb 7th, '10, 02:50

So how is your new laptop?
^Thanks Maybe.
Spyder wrote:The silent king of spam.

Killa wrote:Me & dR3 represent the future bitch!!!

Killa wrote:dR3 stay winning...
dR3
Django
Django

Previous

Return to Computing & Technology