The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

I Need Your Advice

Hardware and Software discussion. Seek advice or share your opinion on all things technology.

Re: I Need Your Advice

Postby Arrinef » Jan 8th, '10, 06:12

i got a decked out HP from best buy for 540, and its pretty dope.
I've been using hp's since about 2002. and they all were pretty dope.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Laptop ... Id=9539332

this is the one i use, and its dope :y:

---- Image-----
Arrinef
Knight Rider
Knight Rider

Postby ThomasAguanis » Jan 8th, '10, 06:42

I just got this a few days ago and I've loved it so far:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Toshiba+-+L ... Id=9549054
B.K.A. The King of Kale A.K.A. The Superfood Sensai
I still rap better than you.

ThomasAguanis
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby whtcrack » Jan 8th, '10, 06:59

I'd reccomend Toshiba over HP ..... No matter what computer you get don't buy the anti-virus or sypware. Then go to http://www.download.com and download these 5 Programs: AVG Free Edition, MalwareBytes, CCleaner, Spybot: Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware.. Run all of these/update them once a week and you'll be good :y: :y:

for any normal, regular use of a computer all you need is like 3GB ram maybe even 2 and 200GB harddrive
whtcrack
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Arrinef » Jan 8th, '10, 07:06

Coleon wrote:
whtcrack wrote:I'd reccomend Toshiba over HP ..... No matter what computer you get don't buy the anti-virus or sypware. Then go to http://www.download.com and download these 5 Programs: AVG Free Edition, MalwareBytes, CCleaner, Spybot: Search and Destroy, Ad-Aware.. Run all of these/update them once a week and you'll be good :y: :y:

for any normal, regular use of a computer all you need is like 3GB ram maybe even 2 and 200GB harddrive

I know about software and stuff don't worry

and I have some dough and just want a computer that is fast as shit

lol
imagine if shit was fast :laughing:

---- Image-----
Arrinef
Knight Rider
Knight Rider

Postby gutawafang » Jan 8th, '10, 07:07

This is nice.

Vaio.
ADD ME ON PS4: gutawafang
Currently playing: Destiny
TR Rap Battle Record: 23-8
gutawafang
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby aleXander » Jan 8th, '10, 13:38

Why the hell no apple? I'd buy one. :smoking:
aleXander
Renegade
Renegade

Postby aleXander » Jan 8th, '10, 14:16

Coleon wrote:
aleXander wrote:Why the hell no apple? I'd buy one. :smoking:

dey gay and about 2 grand

nuff said :smoking:

2 grand? fuck it. won't buy it either :smoking:
aleXander
Renegade
Renegade

Postby neversnooze » Jan 8th, '10, 17:26

remember this, when i was shopping for a laptop; almost all the graphic cards that were built in to the laptop sucked. Try to find alaptop that has a upgradable graphics card(not alot of laptops do). As for Ram , it should have 4gb or more. the cpu speed, i think would be standard, should be about 2.00 ghz or more. and of course, windows 7. make sure you get warranty, it will benefit you in the long run.
Sometimes I stay up so late that I have my morning coffee before I go to bed
neversnooze
Soldier
Soldier

Postby neversnooze » Jan 8th, '10, 20:23

Coleon wrote:
neversnooze wrote:remember this, when i was shopping for a laptop; almost all the graphic cards that were built in to the laptop sucked. Try to find alaptop that has a upgradable graphics card(not alot of laptops do). As for Ram , it should have 4gb or more. the cpu speed, i think would be standard, should be about 2.00 ghz or more. and of course, windows 7. make sure you get warranty, it will benefit you in the long run.

i don't game so should i still look for a good gfx card

then no
Sometimes I stay up so late that I have my morning coffee before I go to bed
neversnooze
Soldier
Soldier

Postby DelinQuent » Jan 9th, '10, 03:18

wow, the advice i'm seeing is just absolute garbage.

"Look for a computer over 2GHz"... You could have a 4GHz single core processor that pretty much any dual core will run circles around. DO NOT purchase a computer with a single core processor.

HP is the worst brand
http://www.squaretrade.com/htm/pdf/Squa ... y_1109.pdf
go to page 6 to look at reliability ratings. 25% of HPs will fail within 3 years. Compared to 15% of Asus computers.

Honestly, if you've got a decent amount of money, look for a computer with an Intel Core i7 processor. It's a quad-core with 2 processing threads per core, meaning the operating system sees it as 8 processors working together. If you can't afford the premium price tag that a computer with the i7 carries, look into an i5. It's the same processor as the i7, but it doesn't have 2 threads per core, it's a standard quad-core but it has Intel's Turbo Boost technology, which means that if you're using a program that utilizes only one core, it boosts the clock speed of that core to make that application run faster.

In the end, by all means, DO NOT buy an HP.
DelinQuent
Soldier
Soldier

Postby DelinQuent » Jan 9th, '10, 05:16

it all depends what you're going for.

Check tigerdirect.com and newegg.com

i can tell you from experience with best buy that they sell the computers with pretty much no mark-up, so what you pay at Best Buy, is nearly exactly what they paid for the computer themselves.

If you're looking to get the Intel Core i7, you'll spend in the range of 1,000. for the i5 probably around 800 or so.
DelinQuent
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Solace » Jan 9th, '10, 18:02

I've got a couple HP PC's from 4 years and over back and they still work extremely well, unless you were talking about laptops only :unsure:
Solace
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby Solace » Jan 23rd, '10, 23:40

Go for the Toshiba :y:
Solace
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby DelinQuent » Jan 23rd, '10, 23:47

go with the toshiba, it's also got a slightly larger screen.

Those are great prices by the way.

Those both have the Intel Core i7. I have the i7 920 in my desktop so it's clocked higher and runs faster than the laptop version, but the story is the same with all laptop vs desktop processors. the i7 is a quad-core with 2 processing threads per core. This means there are 8 available processing threads. if you open up the task manager (ctrl+shft+escape) and click the performance tab you'll see 8 available processors. This means super fast performance for high end applications. then there's intel's "turbo boost", what this does is when you're using a program that only uses say 1 core, it overclocks the core so it runs faster. I'm not sure if you're familiar with the term overclocking but what it means is for instance my i7 920 is rated at 2.66 GHz, overclocking is when i go into my BIOS and set the processor to run faster than it's rated at, to say 3.5GHz. So you'll have one core going at say 1.5GHz and then a program will be using all of that power but none of the other cores, the processor bumps up the clock speed to say 2.0GHz, and if the program keeps demanding more, it bumps it up further.

Really is cutting edge technology. You'll love it.
DelinQuent
Soldier
Soldier

Postby DelinQuent » Jan 27th, '10, 01:01

no idea what you want me to PM you about, so i didn't.

The i3 is a great choice. You'll notice a big difference between the i7 and the i3 when it comes to rendering songs. my old computer only had a dual core and it took between 6-10 minutes to render a track with about 14-20 different vocals/adlibs/beats in it. with the i7 it takes literall about 10-14 seconds. so i'd imagine you'll see similar differences between the i7 and i3.
DelinQuent
Soldier
Soldier

Next

Return to Computing & Technology