The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Limewire viruses

Hardware and Software discussion. Seek advice or share your opinion on all things technology.

Limewire viruses

Postby Just Silver » Jan 31st, '10, 23:11

is it almost automatic or what i hear theres so many viruses in every song
Just Silver
Band Leader
Band Leader

Re: Limewire viruses

Postby Brandon S » Jan 31st, '10, 23:37

you just gotta be careful, and even if u are carfeful u can still get viruses. i used 2 have limewire and it gave me multiple viruses, and slowed down my computer. but i know ppl who have had limewire and havent got any viruses, so it's not guarunteed 2 give u viruses
Brandon S
Soldier
Soldier

Postby *MIRANDA* » Jan 31st, '10, 23:54

ive had limewire on 2 dif computers and it never gave me a virus
kazaa is the one to look out for though..that shit is nasty
butyeah i never had any problems with limewire
AspirinE wrote:Miranda > space,matter and time > *

>> MA MYSPACE << >> MA DEVIANTART <<
>>igotsumcandyinmyvan<<
Chill A Nity You Boon Image
*MIRANDA*
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Low Key » Jan 31st, '10, 23:56

i used frostwire, which is exactly the same as limewire, but apparently safer. but i've never had a virus from limewire or frostwire.
Low Key
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby dR3 » Feb 3rd, '10, 00:54

I've never had problems with it, but you gotta see the description of the song on the right side aka if you're downloading a song, make sure it's mp3 and its size is in MB not KB.

That's pretty much how I make sure I don't download viruses.
^Thanks Maybe.
Spyder wrote:The silent king of spam.

Killa wrote:Me & dR3 represent the future bitch!!!

Killa wrote:dR3 stay winning...
dR3
Django
Django

Postby TommiTMX » Feb 25th, '10, 15:34

Ok, any time you connect to the internet and view any website there is always a chance of getting a virus, the only thing you can do is reduce that chance to it's minimum (i.e. things like only vewing reputable websites, having a decent anti-virus that scans all downloads etc.)

As for Limewire, I don't use it often but I have used it for 6+ years without any viruses at all :).

A good tip (that most people who play with audio will know) is that the new Limewire interface gives you the quality of the file. So for example if a file is 256 kbps and has a duration of 4:50, you should be able to determine the file size :D.

This is basically a quick table to show how many bits per kilobyte etc.

8 bits = 1 Byte
1024 Bytes = 1KB
1024KB = 1MB
1024MB = 1GB
1024GB = 1TB

Another thing to note (although most will probably know this) if the "B" in KB, MB etc. is upper-case then it's a BYTE, if it's lowercase then it's a BIT. I.e. 256 kbps is 256 kilobits per second.

So now that we know that and know a song is 4:50 seconds then we know that is 290 seconds :).

So from above you know the file has 256 kilobits per second.

So the entire song (i.e. 290 * 256) has a total of 74240 kilobits, now we want to turn that into bytes so we divide by 8 and you have 9280 kilobytes :-), finally we want that in MB so divide it by 1024 and you have 9.06MB, which is roughly the file size of the file :D

Granted it seems a bit long winded but after a while you know what type of filesize to expect of a certain file :)
Socrates wrote:True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Mars wrote:Ay Yo I'm tired of hip hop being about the same lame things, We are what we make it, and I ain't here for friends, Half of yall yell gangsta! Most of yall pretend... ,Sex sells, aids spread, money talks, people shot, Decade and a half and we still ain't, learned from Tupac!
TommiTMX
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby dR3 » Feb 25th, '10, 17:50

^ :o :o :o :o :o :o
^Thanks Maybe.
Spyder wrote:The silent king of spam.

Killa wrote:Me & dR3 represent the future bitch!!!

Killa wrote:dR3 stay winning...
dR3
Django
Django

Postby WhatsAnEnigma » Mar 2nd, '10, 02:31

If you see a file rather big then don't download it, and I can't see why people would waste their time posting 256+ kbps songs..probably viruses embedded in them.
WhatsAnEnigma
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Return to Computing & Technology