The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Ubuntu is the shit!

Hardware and Software discussion. Seek advice or share your opinion on all things technology.

Ubuntu is the shit!

Postby AbramIsaac » Jun 12th, '10, 19:59

Just installed Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx on my laptop, and I fucking love it!

Did it on a whim, completely erasing four years worth of files, along with my Windows XP OS.

Totally worth it. Such a beautiful Operating System, and easier to install and work with than any Windows OS I've ever dealt with.

:wub: Linux...
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

"Poison the well, your enemies are thirsty!" — Modest Mouse
Jesus Christ wrote:Fuck all South Pacific island and island-continents.
AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: Ubuntu is the shit!

Postby Liquid_Fangs » Jun 12th, '10, 20:05

What is the upside? Just accessibility?
Ignorance is bliss and man I wish I was dumb
Cause mistakes are always hard to forget when you're young
Liquid_Fangs
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby Just Silver » Jun 12th, '10, 20:11

I dont trust freeware OS Windows 7 is pretty stable
Just Silver
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Liquid_Fangs » Jun 12th, '10, 20:14

Ehh it looks like a Mac rip off to me. Windows is like the iPhone of OS's. There's too much support for it for it to go wrong. Every program is gonna have a windows version but idk about Ubuntu.
Liquid_Fangs
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby AbramIsaac » Jun 12th, '10, 21:04

Just Silver wrote:I dont trust freeware OS Windows 7 is pretty stable

Windows 7 is great, don't get me wrong. I have 7 on my desktop, even bought the Professional version.

Liquid_Fangs wrote:Ehh it looks like a Mac rip off to me. Windows is like the iPhone of OS's. There's too much support for it for it to go wrong. Every program is gonna have a windows version but idk about Ubuntu.

Actually, Mac is more of a ripoff of Linux than the other way around. OSX is based off of Unix, which is what Linux has been based off of for decades now.

Windows is more widely supported, this is true. That's not going to change either, as computers are shipped with Windows more than anything else. Also, that's where the money is.

The beauty of Linux is the freedom. The multitude of free software, the Operating System itself, and the lack of malware targeting it. Viruses are pretty much non-existent, and Linux is a very secure Operating System.

It's also able to run very lean. You can package an entire Linux OS with basic programs with just 50 MB of space. It runs extremely well on older hardware, and that may put it ahead in the up-and-coming countries that are just recently coming online.

OpenOffice will save and open anything in Microsoft Office format, without the +$100 pricetag, which will be a great point for the business sector. The internet itself already runs mostly on Unix. While I don't see Linux taking over the personal computer market, I do see it as a viable alternative to Windows and Mac.
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Liquid_Fangs » Jun 12th, '10, 21:10

Any compatibility with stuff like UTorrent or GIMP. I'd really like to switch it up.
Liquid_Fangs
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby AbramIsaac » Jun 13th, '10, 03:40

Liquid_Fangs wrote:Any compatibility with stuff like UTorrent or GIMP. I'd really like to switch it up.

Actually, GIMP started out on Linux, if I'm not mistaken. It's available from the Ubuntu Software System, which is a program that accesses a repository of programs compiled specifically for Ubuntu. You just find the program, click "Install", and it'll be added to your list of programs as soon as it's downloaded.

Lucid Lynx comes with Transmission BitTorrent already installed, so you don't even have to download it.

If you want to try out Ubuntu, you can download it for free, burn it to a CD, and run it from your disk drive before you install it. That way, you can try it out without having to actually put it on your hard drive.

AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby TommiTMX » Jun 20th, '10, 01:39

Linux is win...there are so many good things about it :D

At the same time as one of my tutors put it "it was made by silly people for silly people" i.e. it can take a bit to get used to, if your a Windows master and know the in's and out's of Windows then don't think you can jump to Linux and become a master in a day, it's a different world.

The only thing that stops me from using Linux as a primary client is the lack of software available, sure the OpenSource community is huge at the minute with applications flying all over the place, but I love the fact that with my nice Windows PC I am able to hop on the internet and have a pretty high chance of finding an application that will run on my computer (be it free or not).

On the plus side...LIVE CD's ROCK! If your Windows installation ever gets corrupted and you want to get all your personal crap onto a pen drive it then it's awesome. Another one I found it useful for was when a friends laptop had a dead HDD, boot from the CD and have a fully functioning computer (granted all settings were lost on shutdown but w/e) xD

Even better, have a seperate partition and Dual Boot into Ubuntu, the Ubuntu installation automatically detects any Windows install (including Windows 7) and adds an entry into the GRUB Boot loader :-) they couldn't make it any simpler! :D
Socrates wrote:True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Mars wrote:Ay Yo I'm tired of hip hop being about the same lame things, We are what we make it, and I ain't here for friends, Half of yall yell gangsta! Most of yall pretend... ,Sex sells, aids spread, money talks, people shot, Decade and a half and we still ain't, learned from Tupac!
TommiTMX
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Weezy » Jul 20th, '10, 06:12

Chet Starr wrote:Eminem has done more in his short life, then Buddha, Jesus, & Superman combined!
Weezy
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby dR3 » Jul 20th, '10, 15:18

No Windows is the shit.
^Thanks Maybe.
Spyder wrote:The silent king of spam.

Killa wrote:Me & dR3 represent the future bitch!!!

Killa wrote:dR3 stay winning...
dR3
Django
Django

Postby neversnooze » Jul 20th, '10, 22:57

this is the first time i am hearing about ubuntu. the only three large OS that i know of are, Windows , Mac, and Linux. if anyone else installs this OS leave some reviews, if you can.
Sometimes I stay up so late that I have my morning coffee before I go to bed
neversnooze
Soldier
Soldier

Postby AbramIsaac » Jul 21st, '10, 00:11

dR.dR3 wrote:No Windows is the shit.

I really hope you're joking. Surely you are, as I don't know too many people that are genuinely happy with Windows--most just accept it because it comes standard. There's a reason that Apple's Mac OSX has such an allure.

neversnooze wrote:this is the first time i am hearing about ubuntu. the only three large OS that i know of are, Windows , Mac, and Linux. if anyone else installs this OS leave some reviews, if you can.

Ubuntu is Linux. Linux isn't a single operating system, there are hundreds of operating systems based off of the Linux Kernel.

Ubuntu is probably the most popular Linux distribution though.

TommiTMX wrote:Linux is win...there are so many good things about it :D

The only thing that stops me from using Linux as a primary client is the lack of software available, sure the OpenSource community is huge at the minute with applications flying all over the place, but I love the fact that with my nice Windows PC I am able to hop on the internet and have a pretty high chance of finding an application that will run on my computer (be it free or not).

Try the newer Ubuntu distro. The Software center allows for a multitude of software that is a much easier find and install process than Windows--guaranteed. Just open up the Software Center application, search or browse through the thousands of programs, and click install. It's that simple; Linux has come so far from where it was a couple of years ago.

AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Infinite2 » Aug 25th, '10, 19:43

I agree, Ubuntu is great and even more than that if you've only used XP before.. Even the games like GTA IV works with Wine (Wine Is Not an Emulator) on Ubuntu.
Infinite2
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Return to Computing & Technology