The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

May 9th - Microsoft Announces Grand Theft Auto IV & Halo

Post and have discussions on the latest news from around the world.

May 9th - Microsoft Announces Grand Theft Auto IV & Halo

Postby AspirinE » May 10th, '06, 08:51

(EXCEPRT FROM GAMESPOT'S E3 COVERAGE)
11:40: SHOW BEGINS.
11:41: Gears of War trailer. It's a spectacular battle with a giant spider-like creature crushing people. Locust troopers rip apart humans. Insane fire fight, blood and fire everywhere. No date given.
11:42: Cliffy B takes the stage to show off the first level of Gears, mission has two troopers trying to escape area. Cut to underground bunker, troopers then go up stairwell to ruined city for airlift, locust troops everywhere.
11:43: Shotgun blast purees locust guy--blood EVERYWHERE, close-up shotgun blast splatters another, lead trooper now in firefight in hall, bullets flying everywhere, frame rate a tad chuggy. Another close-up shotgun blast rips locust apart. His severed arm plops onto a large stone.
11:45: Heat effects blur fire from the guns in Gears of War. It's these details and its visceral combat that evoke Halo. Close combat melee moves, shotguns to the face, and bullets, bullets, bullets are the plan to make this a hit with the kids.
11:46: Grenade blast takes out last of locusts, troopers emerge into open. Another firefight. More blood. Frame rate totally chugging at this point, but it's definitely real-time. Lead human trooper--Marcus--slaughters the last of the locusts. Blood jets everywhere when he sticks his chainsaw bayonet into a locust and rips him in half.
11:47: The ruined city of the game is in shambles. Enemies are relentless, as the oafish soldiers can take bullets with the best of them. The action is in intense. This is the first level. I repeat, this is the first level. Marcus can shoot blindly from behind cover, as he spends most of his time moving from cover spot to cover spot. The AI looks fabulous.
11:48: Message over radios warns of movement below ground. Whole earth shakes, cocrete snaps like peanut brittle. HUGE spider locust comes out. Trailer ends with no release date. Cliffy B cedes stage to Peter Moore, who talks about "the most powerful next-generation experience...with the most spectacular games ever."
11:49: Talks organizational changes, says games are driving Microsoft's entire agenda. "Your lifestyle always takes center stage," he tells the crowd. He says the Xbox 360 generated more interest than anticipated. Jokes that shortages were not due to consoles being hidden in Area 51. Few laughs.
11:50: At the end of May, Microsoft will have sold more than 5 million 360s--the fastest console seller everywhere. He says the goal is to catch up to iPod in cultural significance. He gives more stats, notes three of top 10 March games were Xbox 360.
11:52: Moore says three pillars are "your lifestyle, your games, and your friends." Says 360 isn't a hub, it's a "gateway to all kinds of HD entertainment." Moore moves onto Xbox Live. Says it is the "one true unified gamespace." Friends lists, matchmaking--6 million members by next E3.
11:54: He says current attach rate for XBL is 57 percent, adds that Xbox Arcade is the secret to the success. Announces series of new games: Pac-Man, Contra, Galaga, Frogger, Sonic, Defender, Street Fighter II, Time Pilot, Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, Rally-X, Dig Dug, Ms. Pac-Man, PaperBoy, and Rootbeer Tapper.
11:56: Namco, Konami, Sega, and Midway all on board. All arcade classics will have updated HD graphics, some will have XBL multiplayer. "With Xbox Live Arcade, we're doing for games what Sundance does for movies," says Moore. "We provide up and coming talent with a venue to show their skills." He adds that Lumines Live will be coming to the system.
11:58: Moore announces deal with Warner Bros. Music to put music videos--Madonna shown as an example--in the background of Lumines Live.
11:57: Moore moves on to the "next wave of Xbox 360 games": Jamiroquai blares, trailers: Lost Planet, Table Tennis, BIA Hell's Highway, Mass Effect, NHL 2K7, FEAR, Too Human, Viva Pinata, MotoGP 06, LOTR: BfMEII, Sonic, Madden NFL 07, World Series of Poker, Saint's Row, WWE SmackDown!, Stranglehold, Enchanted Arms, Test Drive Unlimited, NCAA Football, Dead Rising, Dance Dance Revolution Universe, Prey, Superman Returns, NBA 2K7, Crackdown, 99 Nights, and Gears of War.
12:01: Xbox 360 logo comes up to applause. Moore says by the holidays, there will be more than 160 Xbox 360 games. Says Madden will make next-gen debut on Xbox 360.
12:02: Formally announces Fable 2, runs trailer. Sinister woods, lady with hat with paper fortune-teller thing from grade school. Fable 2 logo--name now official. Lady asks lady to show destiny. Amazing montage of fire and shadow, Xbox 360 logo comes up to enthusiastic applause. 12:04: Moore thanks Molyneux, who's sitting in the front row. Molyneux smiles.
12:05: Moore announces Forza Motorsport 2. A trailer goes up--insanely intense race featuring a BMW gives way to conceptual art montage, then fades back to race. Car driving shifts to exposed view showing disassembled engine, then back to race. Super-close-up of wheel well inside crash shows red-hot brake pad buckling. Forza 2 logo comes up.
12:06: Moore cites Forza's GameRankings score of 93 percent--then announces game will come out in this fall. And then announces first wireless steering wheel and...
12:07: Xbox 360 Camera, Xbox Vision, announced. Xbox Vision will have interoperability with World Series of Poker, allowing players to watch each other.
12:08: Moore introduces Sakaguchi as he talks up importance of Japan. Rolls trailer. Shows kid piloting spaceship over battlefield crawling with cartoony robots--think Iron Giant gone bad. Blue Dragon logo comes up. Applause.
12:10: Blue Dragon available in Japan this year, says Moore. Announces new title for next Tecmo game--now officially Dead or Alive Xtreme 2. Says trailer will be available later this month.
12:11: Moore moves on to Tom Clancy games, gives Ubisoft props. Trailer for Double Agent comes up, shows Sam Fisher getting mission, Fisher losing his job to go "deep undercover," shooting dude in alleyway, then parachuting into Arctic base. Guard walks by, and Fisher comes up OUT OF THE SNOW and slits his throat. Guy saying "I am Sam Fisher" is NOT Michael Ironside. Release date confirmed--this September.
12:13: Moore turns subject to Viva Pinata. Many in the audience snicker. MGS designer Jim Veevaert gets onstage to talk about game. Says the concept originated at Rare. Says goal is to turn little plot of land, which will attract wild, free-roaming pinatas. Bashing those pinatas with bats to harvest their candy entrails is apparently not part of the game.
12:18: However, accordig to Veevaert, buying and selling pinatas on Marketplace is part of the game. Players will be able to trade said pinatas and buy cusomtization features. Shows the "scary" pinata, a red "Macaroon." Players can breed their pinatas by successfully completely a "romance dance" minigame that causes the pinatas to asexually reproduce. Those hoping for hot pinata-on-pinata action are visibly disappointed.
12:18: Moore moves subject to Xbox live Marketplace--18 million downloads so far. As of today, more than 1,000 pieces of "downloadable content" available. Says publishers like Marketplace, since it changes the way people buy and play the game. Says Fight Night Round 3 demo led to a fivefold increase in preorders of the game. Mentions content partners: Epic Records, Paramount, Lionsgate.
12:20: Moore announces first TV show on XBL Marketplace, the Gears of War experience, will be avaible tomorrow.
12:21: Moore whips out Xbox 360 HD-DVD peripheral--it looks like a mini-Xbox 360 with a black front. The name is "Xbox 360 Player" and it will be available this holiday season.
HD-DVD for Xbox 360
12:22: "Major announcement about one of greatest franchsies of all time." Says it's so exciting that he has to take his shirt off. Shows Halo 2 tattoo--GRAND THEFT AUTO IV tattoo on other arm. Grand Theft Auto IV: October 16, 2007, to Xbox 360 ONLY.
12:25: "Microsoft and Rockstar have entered into an exclusive deal to provide episodic content via Xbox Live Marketplace."
12:26: Grand Theft Auto IV will be updated with regular fresh content, more details later. Crowd is stunned, gasps all around.
12:25: Subject turns to PC gaming, Crytek developer gets onstage to show off "Windows exclusive" Crysis.
GTA 4 is 360 bound.
12:30: Demo of Crysis: Soldier goes into darkened room, comes out to night sky filled with smoke and fire. A HUGE metal walker--think the War of the Worlds tripods on steroids--is laying waste to the landscape. It is surrounded by smaller walkers who attack the human soldiers. Humans hammer away at big walker with rocket launchers. It eventually goes down in flames.
12:31: Moore says Crysis will run on Windows XP and Windows Vista, contrary to some reports.
12:31: Demo footage from games: Crysis, Age of Conan. Slick graphic shows orange tree and tagline "evolved." Moore talks up Vista, says it has "more options for games than ever before."
12:33: Moore talks about more "dual releases like Elder Scrolls IV," and cues up trailer for Shadowrun. Shows a lot of combat with elves and orcs with assault weapons fighting magic-using humans in burnt-out city.
12:36: Release date--next January, "right alongside Windows Vista." Trailer shown for second Vista/360 dual release, Alan Wake. Microsoft publishing now, apparently.
12:38: Clip shows sun setting on town, Alan Wake running around in darkness. Moore confirms game will be published by Microsoft, exclusively for Windows and Xbox 360. Bill Gates takes stage! He's here to present the future of gaming!
12:39: Gates talks about how he loves playing Xbox Live Arcade games with his kids. Then he starts talking about big-picture things, about how games will be extended to all platforms--PC, mobile, Xbox 360... Something major seems in the offing.
12:40: Gates says Microsoft's goal is to make "gaming appeal to people of all ages" and expand the market.
12:41: Gates predicts that Xbox 360 will have a 10 million-unit head start on its competitors, then talks up Live--how that buddy list facilitates community. Says that when you include mobile phone users, the potential gamer population is 1 billion.
12:44: Gates announces new platform--"Live Anywhere." Will be part of Windows Vista--will have one user interface, one identity, one friends list, one message center, one marketplace. Same as Xbox Live 360, same interface, embedded in Windows.
12:45: Gates talks up mobile phone gaming, says there's a "lot of opportunity."
12:48: Gates says Live Anywhere will extend to mobile phones but is vague on specifics. Says that Microsoft is the only company in the world capable of such an undertaking.
12:51: Scot Henson, director of platform strategy for Xbox and Windows, takes the stage to show off Live Anywhere. Starts up game of Shadowrun, connects with friends list--which shows whether his friends are on a PC, Xbox 360, or mobile phone. He sends a message to Major Nelson, who is working on a Vista PC. On the right-hand side is his friends list, just like in Xbox 360--GamerTag on there, too. Henson says acheivements on any platofrm will add to one single gamer score, and GamerTag will be the same, too.
12:53: Live Anywhere will have the same reputation anywhere, says Henson. He then pulls out a Motorola Q cell phone with Windows Mobile. The phone has the Xbox Arcade games he downloaded on his Xbox 360 ON HIS PHONE. He plays a game of Zuma. Then he plays a music video he downloaded onto his Xbox 360 on his phone. The phone menu also has a movie option for "X-Men."
12:54: I get the official Rockstar Games announcement of Grand Theft Auto IV in my e-mail--it says that the game will be released simultaneously on Xbox 360 and PS3. Moore said it was coming to 360 first. What the...?
12:55: Moore gets on stage and gives recap. Says games will all be playble, then Gates says, "Hey Peter, let's play these people a snippet of a game they might like to see..." Crowd goes wild, trailer comes up. Halo theme plays, scene of a war-torn wasteland. Long figure can be seen through the smoke. MASTER CHIEF WALKS OUT.
12:59: HOLY CRAP, GIGANTIC Covenant dropship...dozens of them. Sky swarming with banshees over giant crater that is actually a giant Forerunner gateway--the gateway lights up, screen goes white, HALO 3 LOGO APPEARS.
1:00: Crowd goes ballistic. Lights come up and the conference is over.
1:01: Crowd gets up to leave, but weird audio recording comes over PA. Female voice asks "Master Chief to pick up white courtesy phone," and urges people not to feed any "grunts they might encounter." Then she says "The Locust horde has a scheduled attack at 3 p.m. in this venue." Some laughter from the obviously stunned crowd.
That's it for GameSpot's blogging coverage of the event. Be sure to check soon for more details on all these games.
For another angle on the Microsoft press conference, check out Senior Editor Jeff Gerstmann's live blog.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6149698.html
Xbox 360 is looking mighty nice.

http://rockstargames.com/grandtheftauto4/

^ Official GTA4 website
Last edited by AspirinE on May 10th, '06, 09:00, edited 2 times in total.
AspirinE
Django
Django

Postby AspirinE » May 10th, '06, 08:53

I remember arguing with someone that it isn gona be called GTA 4 Image
AspirinE
Django
Django

Postby AspirinE » May 10th, '06, 11:37

g_killa wrote:
AspirinE wrote:I remember arguing with someone that it isn gona be called GTA 4 Image

lol u lost then

no , i was the one saying it would be titled GTA4 coz it will be of completely new nature.

I hope the city wont be london though -_- , i wish it were something like tokio

or better yet, something that has a few states with each kind of city :) *dreams* but that would be to big of a game to waste time on.
AspirinE
Django
Django

Postby SNaKe » May 10th, '06, 11:38

im also hoping a city like Tokio or something like that would be fuckin cool....
Last edited by SNaKe on May 10th, '06, 21:16, edited 1 time in total.
SNaKe
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby rap_gurl » May 10th, '06, 11:49

Sounds real cool, love the GTA games so far SAN ANDREAS is the best one tho, so this one will have to be amazing.
"I do say things that I think will shock people. But I don't do things to shock people. I'm not trying to be the next Tupac, but I don't know how long I'm going to be on this planet. So while I'm here, I might as well make the most of it."
-- Eminem
rap_gurl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby AspirinE » May 10th, '06, 11:53

I didnt really like san andreas that much coz there was too much concentration on stuff like food and shit, I mean i wanna shoot people not getgirlfriends in the game lmao. -_-

They should make slo-mo moments add some cinematics and music that can be played while outside of the car (could have invented a walkman or something) .

Would be great to have little kids, i always wanted to crush some little brats with a buldozer and some puppies while im at it.

:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
AspirinE
Django
Django

Postby Nick419 » May 10th, '06, 21:13

is this goin to be gta liberty city stories on ps2? or a brand new game?
RIP Big proof~Broken hearted, my soul's like a open target
And I'm ready to leave Earth
You step to my death next year on my T-shirt
Nick419
Role Model
Role Model

Postby ines » May 11th, '06, 10:40

can't wait till halo 3 is coming out.can i play it on my x box 360
ines
Renegade
Renegade

Postby $0 R3@L » May 11th, '06, 16:30

gta im guessing r gonna change the name to a city etc etc...im guessing they r still working to choosing a revelant name.
http://www.myspace.com/aronsoreal
Tony Yayo > 50 cent
yoshi wrote:even after all those years.. So Real > Jesus
$0 R3@L
Band Leader
Band Leader

Re:

Postby gvdz » Sep 11th, '13, 17:14

$0 R3@L wrote:gta im guessing r gonna change the name to a city etc etc...im guessing they r still working to choosing a revelant name.

GTA V
gvdz
Renegade
Renegade

Re: May 9th - Microsoft Announces Grand Theft Auto IV & Halo

Postby BILI » Sep 11th, '13, 17:16

Why bump such an old thread?
BILI
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby PAINKILLƎR » Sep 11th, '13, 17:30

PAINKILLƎR
Slumerican
Slumerican

Postby Nick419 » Sep 11th, '13, 17:33

Its weird looking at this thread, seeing all the old active members from back in the day lol
RIP Big proof~Broken hearted, my soul's like a open target
And I'm ready to leave Earth
You step to my death next year on my T-shirt
Nick419
Role Model
Role Model

Return to General News