The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Lifeguard fired for saving mans life

Post and have discussions on the latest news from around the world.

Lifeguard fired for saving mans life

Postby Emadyville » Jul 6th, '12, 04:40

The title is slightly misleading, so read the article, because taken out of context this sounds even more fucked up than it already is.

http://www.wibw.com/home/nationalnews/headlines/Lifeguard_Fired_For_Saving_Swimmers_Life_161513915.html

CNN -The south Florida lifeguard fired for leaving his post so he could save a swimmer outside his coverage zone said Thursday he has been offered his job back.

But Tomas Lopez told CNN he does not plan to return to work.

"It's another chapter in my life closed and I am just going to continue to get my schooling finished and get on with my career," Lopez told CNN.

The 21-year-old said his phone has been ringing off the hook with journalists trying to get his side of the story.

Jeff Ellis Management, the company for which Lopez worked, had said lifeguards cannot go beyond the perimeter of the beach they are responsible for overseeing.

Jeff Ellis told CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront" on Thursday evening that he didn't approve of the decision to fire Lopez.

"Clearly, he should not have been terminated for what had occurred," Ellis said. "I know that he has tried to do the right thing."

Three other lifeguards quit in protest and two others were dismissed after saying they would have acted as Lopez did.

"They told us we would be liabilities and we had to be let go," lifeguard Travis Madrid told CNN.

Ellis told CNN the company has offered to bring back those who were let go.

Ellis told the Sun Sentinel newspaper he confirmed that no area of the beach was left unattended while Lopez assisted the swimmer.

The incident occurred Monday at Hallandale Beach in on Florida's Atlantic coast, north of Miami.

Lifeguard sues New York over revealing swimsuit rule

A beachgoer rushed to Lopez's lifeguard station to alert him to a man who was drowning.

The man was some 1,500 feet outside the company's protection zone in an area where signs warn visitors to swim at their own risk, a supervisor with the company told CNN affiliate WPTV.

Even though he knew it was outside the company protection zone, Lopez ran into the ocean toward the struggling man and pulled him ashore. The man, he said, had turned blue.

"He was having a lot of trouble breathing," Lopez said.

A nurse at the beach tended to the victim until emergency medics arrived and rushed him to a hospital.

The man was in good condition Thursday, according to Aventura Hospital.

Lifeguard Szilard Janko said he guarded Lopez's zone while the latter aided the swimmer.

"They let him go after he performed the rescue," Janko said. "They fired him basically on the spot."

After the near-drowning, Lopez said he was asked by his supervisor to complete an incident report.

"At that point I knew I was going to be fired. I knew I had broken the rule," Lopez said. "In those cases, we are supposed to call 911 and hope they get there in time."

Company supervisor Susan Ellis previously told WPTV that Lopez was let go for violating company policy.

"We have liability issues and can't go out of the protected area," she told the TV station. "What he did was his own decision. He knew the company rules and did what he thought he needed to do."

Lopez said he started the $8.25-an-hour job four months ago and had hoped to continue working there when he goes to Broward College in the fall.

"I have no doubts I did the right thing," he said Thursday. "I believe I did what was right, and that if someone needs help you're going to go help them, regardless if you're a lifeguard or not."

I saw this on the news today. I understand the argument from both sides, but in reality it just shows how fucked up our world is where we worry about money more than what is actually going on or has happened.

I didn't read the article so it might mention it, but in the newscast it said 2 other lifeguards were fired for saying they'd do the same thing, which goes against their liability as a company so they were fired, and 3 others quit, which I'm assuming was because this is so fucked up.
Menzo wrote:Its cuz you're dope and Daddy Dubs. No one fucks with that

I love you Daren
Emadyville
Django
Django

Re: Lifeguard fired for saving mans life

Postby Amaranthine » Jul 6th, '12, 04:53

Yeah, I saw this on the news yesterday. They said the man had already been pulled out of the water by the other swimmers by the time the lifeguard got there, so he basically got fired over nothing. But it's messed up. I mean, I get that they're not allowed to leave their posts as a general rule, then there would be no one watching the water they were supposed to watch, but really, they should use their brains. Review it on a case-by-case basis before doing anything about it instead of having a concrete rule. There should be exceptions, like this one.
You should read this.
I break my back to give you my art, you steal my thoughts
It's like driving a spike through my heart

Geno wrote:I don't wanna have a kid with Zabe tbh.
Amaranthine
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Emadyville » Jul 6th, '12, 04:59

Amaranthine wrote:Yeah, I saw this on the news yesterday. They said the man had already been pulled out of the water by the other swimmers by the time the lifeguard got there, so he basically got fired over nothing. But it's messed up. I mean, I get that they're not allowed to leave their posts as a general rule, then there would be no one watching the water they were supposed to watch, but really, they should use their brains. Review it on a case-by-case basis before doing anything about it instead of having a concrete rule. There should be exceptions, like this one.

they said today they were investigating it, i guess they didnt expect this to make world wide news. On what i saw tho, they made it sound like he literally saved the guy, but i also flipped past it, my dad said flip it back and i did...but in what i saw they still made it sound like he saved him. This slightly changes my anger but not really.

They made a point on what i saw to say the head guys for their lifeguard company said they were swimming in an area clearly posted "swim at your own risk", as if its ok if they die cause there was a sign, fuckin crazy how people think/talk :facepalm
Menzo wrote:Its cuz you're dope and Daddy Dubs. No one fucks with that

I love you Daren
Emadyville
Django
Django

Postby Sam. » Jul 6th, '12, 21:19

Fuck rules, life is important. Rules can be terminated and then bought back, but not life. Props to his selfless thinking in trying to help that guy.
[Rollefsen] - SajN retired, bitch got old, unlike Sams "ladies".
Sam.
Bad Influence
Bad Influence

Postby UofLCard » Jul 25th, '12, 01:47

Again, Florida.
LEVITIKUZ wrote:Did y'all know Eminem's initials are MM. Like his name!!!

TRshady's unofficial official Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/trshadycommun
UofLCard
Louisville's Finest
Louisville's Finest

Return to General News