The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Are we hard-wired to believe we're IMMORTAL?

Post and have discussions on the latest news from around the world.

Are we hard-wired to believe we're IMMORTAL?

Postby yoda you can call me » Jan 30th, '14, 20:32

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... dhood.html

Researchers from Boston University examined children’s ideas about the time before conception
Study suggests we often think the part of us that is eternal is not our ability to reason, but our desires and emotions - so we are what we feel
Scientists said it is possible to study religious belief as well as understand universal aspects of human cognition and the structure of the mind

People across the world, regardless of their religion or culture, believe that humans are immortal, according to research.

A new study has shed some light on people’s beliefs that a person's soul or essence transcends the physical body’s death.

Scientists think the belief that part of us is eternal emerges early in life and is part of our human nature, rather than something that is imposed on a person by a culture or religion.

Researchers from Boston University, led by Natalie Emmons, examined children’s ideas about the time before conception and interviewed 283 children from two very different cultures in Ecuador.

Her research suggests that we often think the part of us that is eternal is not our ability to reason, but our desires and emotions - so we are what we feel.

The study, published in the journal Child Development, fits into a growing body of work examining the cognitive roots of religion

Deborah Kelemen, an Associate Professor of Psychology at Boston University and co-author of the paper, said: ‘This work shows that it's possible for science to study religious belief.’

‘At the same time, it helps us understand some universal aspects of human cognition and the structure of the mind.’

Most studies into the possibility of an afterlife have found that both children and adults commonly believe that bodily needs such as hunger end when people die and emotions continue in some form, but they do not question where such beliefs come from.

Researchers have long suspected that people develop ideas about the afterlife through cultural exposure or religious instruction, but Professor Emmons said ideas of immortality emerge from our intuition.

She interviewed children from an indigenous Shuar village in the Amazon Basin of Ecuador, which she chose because they have no cultural pre-life beliefs and she suspected that children who have regular exposure to birth and death through hunting and farming, would have a more rational, biologically-based view of the time before they were conceived.

For comparison, she also interviewed Roman Catholic children from an urban area near Quito, Ecuador, who have been taught that life begins only at conception.

If cultural influences were fundamental to the belief in immortality, both urban and indigenous children should reject the idea of life before birth, she reasoned.

Professor Emmons showed the children drawings of a baby, a young woman, and the same woman while pregnant, then asked a series of questions about the child's abilities, thoughts and emotions during each period.

The results were surprising as both groups gave remarkably similar answers.

The children reasoned that their bodies didn't exist before birth and that they didn't have the ability to think or remember.

However, both groups also said that their emotions and desires existed before they were born.

While the children generally reported that they didn't have eyes and couldn't see things before birth, they often reported being happy that they would soon meet their mother, or sad that they were apart from their family.

‘Even kids who had biological knowledge about reproduction still seemed to think that they had existed in some sort of eternal form and that form really seemed to be about emotions and desires,’ said Professor Emmons.

She thinks that this human trait might be a by-product of our highly developed social reasoning as humans tend to see others as the sum of their mental states – and desires and emotions are particularly helpful when predicting behaviour.

Because this ability is so useful, it flows over into other parts of our thinking and humans sometimes see connections where potentially none exist, she explained.

This idea of the soul surviving outside the body, while non-scientific, is natural and deep-seated.

‘I study these things for a living but even find myself defaulting to them. I know that my mind is a product of my brain but I still like to think of myself as something independent of my body,’ she said
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: Are we hard-wired to believe we're IMMORTAL?

Postby shadyblogger » Jan 31st, '14, 02:24

Interesting stuff :y:
shadyblogger
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Meminem » Jan 31st, '14, 04:18

I remember a similar study a few years ago that suggested our brains were hard wired to believe in the supernatural, be that a God or Gods or ghosts or whatever. Guess this would fit in with that.

Makes sense we evolved that way, really (even if it can be to our detriment these days lol)
Dave! Pull up your pants! We need an Ambulance!
Meminem
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby yoda you can call me » Feb 1st, '14, 03:21

Meminem wrote:I remember a similar study a few years ago that suggested our brains were hard wired to believe in the supernatural, be that a God or Gods or ghosts or whatever. Guess this would fit in with that.

Makes sense we evolved that way, really (even if it can be to our detriment these days lol)

I seen a documentary a few years back, where scientists where affecting a specific area of someone's brain to have them believe someone was in the room with them.. Interesting but like i said in another thread, it's quite possible that there is things going on that we can't grasp yet
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Meminem » Feb 1st, '14, 04:17

yoda you can call me wrote:
Meminem wrote:I remember a similar study a few years ago that suggested our brains were hard wired to believe in the supernatural, be that a God or Gods or ghosts or whatever. Guess this would fit in with that.

I seen a documentary a few years back, where scientists where affecting a specific area of someone's brain to have them believe someone was in the room with them.. Interesting but like i said in another thread, it's quite possible that there is things going on that we can't grasp yet

For sure. Humans have probably got a good grasp on about 10% of what's probably going on so far (and that's being overly generous)
Dave! Pull up your pants! We need an Ambulance!
Meminem
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Return to General News