The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Scientists create the first lab-grown muscle

Post and have discussions on the latest news from around the world.

Scientists create the first lab-grown muscle

Postby yoda you can call me » Apr 1st, '14, 16:37

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/scien ... 28175.html

Scientists have grown the first ever living muscle that is as strong and self-healing as the real thing, paving the way for one day replacing damaged human tissue with a lab-grown substitute.

Biomedical engineers from Duke University tested the muscle’s strength by forcing it to contract using electrical impulses and injecting it with a toxin found in snake venom in order to test its capacity for self-healing.

A final experiment saw the muscle implanted into the back of a living mouse, with a glass chamber placed into the mice allowing the scientists a literal window onto the development of the tissue.

The scientists report that within two weeks the muscle had successfully integrated with the animal’s blood supply, while genetically modified fluorescent fibres that flashed when the muscle contracted provided clear visual feedback to measure the growth of the tissue.

The muscle contractions observed in the mouse were comparable with “actual mouse muscle”, with the researchers involved describing the tissue as “10 times stronger than anything made in the lab before”.

The work, led by biomedical engineering professor Nenad Bursac, discovered that preparing lab-grown muscle requiresa pool of muscle stem cells (or satellite cells) as well as “well-developed contractile muscles”.

“The well-developed muscle we made provides niches for satellite cells to live in, and, when needed, to restore the robust musculature and its function,” said graduate student Mark Juhas, who helped conduct the research.

Bursac says that this team has already begun work on duplicating the trials with human muscle, stressing that a supply of fake contracting muscle would provide an invaluable resource for drug testing.

However, scientists are still a long way off replacing damaged human muscle with a lab-grown substitute. Creating an artificial vascular system that would feed the muscle with blood and help it grow is one difficulty, as is securing a large enough resource of human stem cells.
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: Scientists create the first lab-grown muscle

Postby StanBase » Apr 1st, '14, 16:52

Now I'm one step closer to my dream. Having two dicks.
Rollefsen wrote:this guy is THE Spongebob.

Menzo wrote:one of my lowkey favourite 'newcomers' atm.

cement wrote:youre that real nikka
StanBase
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Excita » Apr 1st, '14, 22:13

StanBase wrote:Now I'm one step closer to my dream. Having two dicks.

How about having 4 balls?
Imagine how much sperm would 'em give for us.
Excita
Soldier
Soldier

Postby StanBase » Apr 1st, '14, 22:28

We're onto something here. Something big.
Rollefsen wrote:this guy is THE Spongebob.

Menzo wrote:one of my lowkey favourite 'newcomers' atm.

cement wrote:youre that real nikka
StanBase
Soldier
Soldier

Postby cement » Apr 1st, '14, 22:29

like a dick growing from your dick would be gangsta
NIGGAGANG: takeover 2014.
GANG:
Rollef$en, €anadaPure, Blog$ Mcgoo$h, $atan, €harlotte, Never_€nough, Tru€ Wiz, €xcitaz, D€rdyPK, Th€VipBro, N-R-G, md€maz, €€D€€, $nakebeast (FULL MEMBER), HotDawg, Pudding, Aton€, Mistah €vil, Jo$himura
R.I.P. to my homeboy £I£BuffDa[OG], we done lost you on the streets but you aint forgotten hombre.
SNITCH:
Stanbase
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=170027
#FUCKJABBA
cement
Soldier
Soldier

Postby yoda you can call me » Apr 2nd, '14, 17:54

Maybe you guys should hold out for a new brain :whistle:
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image