The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

UK pirates will get four warning letters a year

Post and have discussions on the latest news from around the world.

UK pirates will get four warning letters a year

Postby yoda you can call me » Jul 21st, '14, 19:17

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 18818.html

Households in the UK that persistently pirate music and movies online will receive letters warning them that their actions are illegal from next year.

The warnings are part of a new scheme brokered between internet service providers (ISPs) and the industry bodies representing content copyright holders to educate the public about online piracy.

From the beginning of 2015, up to four warnings will be sent annually to individuals suspected of online privacy, although if these warnings are ignored no further action will be taken.

This ‘voluntary copyright alert programme’ (Vcap) is a significant step back from plans outlined in the Digital Economy Act 2010, which would have seen persistent pirates have their internet access cut.

Speaking in March this year, the secretary of state for culture, media and sport Ed Vaizey said that implementing the act fully had been held back by “significant technical obstacles”.

In addition to cutting off internet access, industry rights holders also wanted the warnings to mention potential penalties facing pirates as well as giving the industry access to a database of known file-sharers.

In addition to the letters, the government has also pledged to contribute £3.5 million to a new educational campaign promoting legal ways to download music and movies.

Business secretary Vince Cable announced the scheme, saying: “It's a difficult industry to pin down and it's also difficult to protect. But unless you protect it then it's an industry that cannot function."

Geoff Taylor, chief executive of the British Phonographic Institution (BPI) said that although the letter-writing scheme lacked any clout it was still an important part of the industry’s efforts to preserve the £71bn it contributes to the UK’s economy.

"It's about persuading the persuadable, such as parents who do not know what is going on with their net connection," he said, adding “Vcap is not about denying access to the internet. It's about changing attitudes and raising awareness so people can make the right choice.”

Figures published by Ofcom last year suggested that nearly a quarter of all downlaods in the UK were of pirated content, but that just two per cent of users accounted for nearly three quarters (74 per cent) of the volume of downloads.
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: UK pirates will get four warning letters a year

Postby mdemaz » Jul 22nd, '14, 02:50

argh
ImageImageImage
s/o to Eedee Python CP Horse Snake Pain SaJn Silver Cement Excitaz PK Rolly GW EG Charlotte Kasia Mel Wiz Solace TRex SliK Aone Atone Trimss Menzo Geno Fish Jaba Detroit Blogs Based lil_b IBR DA! Mono ROM NRG Bigray Hesky Francesco Yoda Noddy Raul
Just Silver wrote:I think every guy should massage their prostate at least once

mdemaz
Addict
Addict

Postby Meminem » Jul 22nd, '14, 02:52

From the beginning of 2015, up to four warnings will be sent annually to individuals suspected of online privacy, although if these warnings are ignored no further action will be taken.

I don't really see this dissuading anyone rofl.

I'm always torn when this debate comes up. I'm in the entertainment industry and am directly affected by piracy but at the same time have you ever tried to watch something on 4OD? Or IPlayer? ](*,)
Dave! Pull up your pants! We need an Ambulance!
Meminem
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby SliK » Jul 22nd, '14, 04:17

Nobody is directly affected by piracy lol.

Most of the shit I download I buy on DVD/BluRay anyway. The stuff I don't buy on DVD/BluRay - I was never going to in the first place. So what harm is there if I download it?
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby SliK » Jul 22nd, '14, 04:34

In fact, sometimes I will download something just for the fuck of it and like it so much I bought it (The Machinist/My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy). No way would I have bought a movie or album without seeing/heating it first.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby gutawafang » Jul 22nd, '14, 07:11

I used to buy movies I will watch repeatedly. Nowadays, not anymore because of Yify.
ADD ME ON PS4: gutawafang
Currently playing: Destiny
TR Rap Battle Record: 23-8
gutawafang
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby UofLCard » Jul 22nd, '14, 20:50

"You better stop pirating music, or we'll send you another warning letter!"
LEVITIKUZ wrote:Did y'all know Eminem's initials are MM. Like his name!!!

TRshady's unofficial official Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/trshadycommun
UofLCard
Louisville's Finest
Louisville's Finest

Postby Meminem » Jul 23rd, '14, 02:38

SliK wrote:Nobody is directly affected by piracy lol.

Well okay, indirectly. British TV/Film industry has suffered hugely (but the people who pay the price are those of us on the bottom rung of the ladder i.e. less jobs, less production, less royalties etc).

But yeah, if i'm streaming a show or movie and like it, I usually end up buying it anyway. And like others have said, it's like a try-out. I'm not going to pay crazy prices for a box set if I haven't seen the show etc
Dave! Pull up your pants! We need an Ambulance!
Meminem
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Return to General News