The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Thieves on WOW should be punished like 'real-life' criminals

Post and have discussions on the latest news from around the world.

Thieves on WOW should be punished like 'real-life' criminals

Postby yoda you can call me » Jul 26th, '14, 01:13

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 24020.html

Gamers who steal virtual items in online games, such as swords and wizard robes, should be punished in the same way as 'real-life' thieves, an MP has suggested.

Mike Weatherley, MP for Hove, East Sussex, and Prime Minister David Cameron’s chief adviser on intellectual property, put forward the idea in Parliament on Wednesday.

He asked Mike Penning, the Minister of State for Justice, to bring forward legislative proposals which would see cyber criminals who steal online items with a real-world monetary value receive the same sentence as offline criminals.

Mr Weatherley is one of the 7.6 million people worldwide subscribed to play the hugely popular World of Warcraft, a so-called massively multiplayer online role-playing game, or MMORPG.

Other popular MMORPGs include Runescape, and Guild Wars.

Players can spend large amounts of real-word money on items that only exist online, and should be offered the same protection as any other victims of theft, Mr Weatherley said.

"The video games industry has raised concerns with me on behalf of gamers who have clearly being targeted by hackers and while I’ve not personally been a victim of online theft, but certainly sympathise with those who have had something stolen from them," Mr Weatherley told The Independent.

“Legitimate in-game theft of something with a real-world monetary value should be treated in the same way as people who steal physical items. Small individual thefts might seem trivial, but if targeted and carried out hundreds or thousands of times it does present a serious problem," he added.

Responding to Mr Weatherley’s parliamentary question, Mr Penning said those who commit theft or fraud online can be prosecuted and “face severe maximum sentences.”

“Sentencing for individual cases is a matter for the courts,” he added.

Mr Weatherley’s said Mr Penning's response "rightly highlights that theft and fraud online do face prosecution and severe maximum penalties."

But he added: "I have raised the point before in Parliament that crimes committed online should not be treated differently from crimes committed offline, as I believe that it sends out the wrong message."

WOW
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: Thieves on WOW should be punished like 'real-life' crimi

Postby SliK » Jul 26th, '14, 02:09

I agree, the time people invest in these games to craft a "sword or wizards robe" will often be much much more than you invest in anything. I'd rather lose (or have stolen) $100 than something in the game that might have taken me 40 hours of my life to obtain.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby yoda you can call me » Jul 26th, '14, 14:26

SliK wrote:I agree, the time people invest in these games to craft a "sword or wizards robe" will often be much much more than you invest in anything. I'd rather lose (or have stolen) $100 than something in the game that might have taken me 40 hours of my life to obtain.

Yeah, i suppose so. I just think people are stupid, spending money on virtual data. Guess this is the future though
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby mdemaz » Jul 26th, '14, 14:32

People still play WoW?
ImageImageImage
s/o to Eedee Python CP Horse Snake Pain SaJn Silver Cement Excitaz PK Rolly GW EG Charlotte Kasia Mel Wiz Solace TRex SliK Aone Atone Trimss Menzo Geno Fish Jaba Detroit Blogs Based lil_b IBR DA! Mono ROM NRG Bigray Hesky Francesco Yoda Noddy Raul
Just Silver wrote:I think every guy should massage their prostate at least once

mdemaz
Addict
Addict

Postby UofLCard » Jul 26th, '14, 21:04

I'm suddenly reminded of the Big Bang Theory episode where a guy steals Sheldon's WOW things.
LEVITIKUZ wrote:Did y'all know Eminem's initials are MM. Like his name!!!

TRshady's unofficial official Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/trshadycommun
UofLCard
Louisville's Finest
Louisville's Finest

Postby SliK » Jul 26th, '14, 23:55

Yoda wrote:
SliK wrote:I agree, the time people invest in these games to craft a "sword or wizards robe" will often be much much more than you invest in anything. I'd rather lose (or have stolen) $100 than something in the game that might have taken me 40 hours of my life to obtain.

Yeah, i suppose so. I just think people are stupid, spending money on virtual data. Guess this is the future though

It's not about the money at all though, it's about the time.
You could buy an item on eBay for $100 or literally spend 40 hours making it. I earn about $1000 from 40 hours work at my place of employment so tell me what is more valuable, time or money?

That's the only reason they're worth money, to save people time.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby yoda you can call me » Jul 27th, '14, 09:02

SliK wrote:
Yoda wrote:

It's not about the money at all though, it's about the time.
You could buy an item on eBay for $100 or literally spend 40 hours making it. I earn about $1000 from 40 hours work at my place of employment so tell me what is more valuable, time or money?

That's the only reason they're worth money, to save people time.

I misread your post breh. I completely agree :y:
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Flamez » Jul 29th, '14, 23:16

I haven't played WoW in a couple months, but I'll prolly return when the new xpac releases to see how it is. haha

Agree with SliK.
Flamez
Band Leader
Band Leader

Return to General News