The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

brain-to-brain interface is a step towards digi telepathy

Post and have discussions on the latest news from around the world.

brain-to-brain interface is a step towards digi telepathy

Postby yoda you can call me » Sep 6th, '14, 18:31

Scientists have taken an important step towards achieving ‘digital telepathy’ by sending information directly from one individual’s brain to another without the use of any intermediary interfaces.

Subjects in the ground-breaking experiment were located 5,000 miles apart in India and France and fitted with caps monitoring electrical signals in the brain. They were then instructed to ‘spell out’ the words ‘ciao’ and ‘hola’ in binary by envisioning different movements to represent 1s and 0s (moving their hands for 1 and their feet for 0).

The electrical signals associated with these movements were then recorded and transmitted, via the internet, directly into a receiver’s brain, with these transmissions used to stimulate their visual cortex so that the 1s and 0s appeared as points of light in different parts of their peripheral vision. The receiver then noted the binary and translated it back into words.

“It is kind of technological realisation of the dream of telepathy, but it is definitely not magical," theoretical physicist and co-author of the study, published in PLOS One, told AFP. “We are using technology to interact electromagnetically with the brain."

A graphic showing how the experiment was set up

Over the past decade scientists have become increasingly adept at monitoring brain activity and using the different electrical signals associated with ‘types’ of thought (eg physical movement) to control everything from drones to prosthetics.

This technology is known as a brain-computer interface or BCI, but this new study – carried out by an international team from Harvard University, Starlab Barcelona, and Axilum Robotics in France – is the first to transmit a message directly from one brain to another, although it is quite different from sci-fi technology that plucks whole words and sentences ‘directly’ from conscious thought.

"We wanted to find out if one could communicate directly between two people by reading out the brain activity from one person and injecting brain activity into the second person,” said co- author Alvaro Pascual-Leone, professor of neurology at Harvard Medical School.

"One such pathway is, of course, the internet, so our question became, 'Could we develop an experiment that would bypass the talking or typing part of Internet and establish direct brain-to-brain communication between subjects located far away from each other in India and France?'"
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: brain-to-brain interface is a step towards digi telepath

Postby Supershade » Sep 6th, '14, 19:25

Welcome to the future
Cause I can’t explain to y’all how dang exhausted my legs felt, just having to balance my dang self but on eggshells I was made to walk but thank you, ma, ‘cause that gave me the strength to cause Shady-mania
Supershade
Soldier
Soldier

Postby mdemaz » Sep 7th, '14, 02:26

This is downright disturbing.
ImageImageImage
s/o to Eedee Python CP Horse Snake Pain SaJn Silver Cement Excitaz PK Rolly GW EG Charlotte Kasia Mel Wiz Solace TRex SliK Aone Atone Trimss Menzo Geno Fish Jaba Detroit Blogs Based lil_b IBR DA! Mono ROM NRG Bigray Hesky Francesco Yoda Noddy Raul
Just Silver wrote:I think every guy should massage their prostate at least once

mdemaz
Addict
Addict

Postby UofLCard » Sep 7th, '14, 03:44

Damn technology, you scary.
LEVITIKUZ wrote:Did y'all know Eminem's initials are MM. Like his name!!!

TRshady's unofficial official Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/trshadycommun
UofLCard
Louisville's Finest
Louisville's Finest

Return to General News