The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Several US baby names are banned in New Zealand

Post and have discussions on the latest news from around the world.

Several US baby names are banned in New Zealand

Postby UofLCard » Nov 3rd, '14, 18:00

My fellow Americans are a weird bunch. Some of these are fine, like Duke, but what parent would name their child Lucifer?

When it comes to baby names, the New Zealand government believes that mother and father do not always know best.

The country’s Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages released a list of 77 banned baby names this week, fueling speculation about just what kind of people would try to name their child Christ or Lucifer.

Americans, apparently.

Yes, 18 of the names on New Zealand's banned list have been used on actual human children in the good ole U.S. of A, according to the Social Security Administration’s database from 2011, the most recent year for which records are available. Pamela Redmond Satran of the baby name website Nameberry cross-referenced the two lists and discovered that some of the forbidden Kiwi names are actually quite popular in the U.S.:

King, 722 boys
Justice, 544 girls and 502 boys
Princess, 301 girls
Justus, 247 boys (Justus is actually an ancient Roman name, not merely a word name)
Major, 196 boys
Royal, 147 boys and 34 girls (Royale and Royalty are also used for both genders)
Duke, 146 boys
Baron, 130 boys
Honor, 98 girls
Queen, 50 girls
Christ, 46 boys
Knight, 36 boys
Majesty, 26 girls and 21 boys
Saint, 23 boys
Lady, 16 girls
Rogue, 15 boys
Lucifer, 8 boys
Master, 8 boys

Other names on the New Zealand list mercifully don’t show up on the U.S. rolls: Anal, we are pleased to report, is not a name. (Though parents experimenting with “unique” spellings of the upward-trending girl’s name Annalise have come up with some that are perliously close to Analease – beware.) Mafia No Fear and 4Real also have not been used here... yet.

New Zealanders may accept, even welcome their government protecting its littlest citizens from bad names. Other countries have similar controls, like Sweden, where the government has rejected such monikers as Superman and Metallica.

Not so in America, where we consider it literally a birthright to name kids whatever we darn well please. (Looking at you, parents of Moxie CrimeFighter, Kal-El and Pilot Inspektor.)

“The right to choose a name that reflects your individual and cultural beliefs and values is rooted in the very foundation of America – I can’t imagine the U.S. ever legislating name choice, nor do I think that would be desirable,” said Satran, whose website Nameberry tracks baby name trends.

She points out that many of the banned New Zealand names have been used by celebrities. Donald and Melania Trump have a son named Barron; director Robert Rodriquez named one of his sons Rogue; musicians Zac Brown and Ziggy Marley both have daughters named Justice; and Duke has been used by Diane Keaton, Giuliana and Bill Rancic, and makeup mogul Bobbi Brown.

More power to them, Satran said.

“Most cases of name regret stem from families leaning too heavily on expectant parents to use this name or not use that name, but it really makes people unhappy,” she said. “A name is one of the few things you can control about your child and choosing one is an involving and deeply personal process, so the baby’s parents are the ones who should have the ultimate choice.”

Of course, “name regret” takes on a different meaning when your parents actually name you after the Prince of Darkness. Maybe those little Lucifers will end up using Luke as a nickname… or move to New Zealand.

http://www.today.com/parents/18-u-s-baby-names-are-banned-new-zealand-6C9768805
LEVITIKUZ wrote:Did y'all know Eminem's initials are MM. Like his name!!!

TRshady's unofficial official Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/trshadycommun
UofLCard
Louisville's Finest
Louisville's Finest

Re: Several US baby names are banned in New Zealand

Postby DetroitSkills » Nov 3rd, '14, 18:39

so thats a thing
MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
DetroitSkills
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Guess_Who » Nov 4th, '14, 13:13

Jessica Alba named her daugher Honor.

I remember reading something similar about Spanish names, there was a woman named Dolores De Cabeza, that means something like Head Aches.
In the land of the killers, a sinner's mind is a sanctum.

Guess_Who
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby boonim » Nov 4th, '14, 14:13

Guess_Who wrote:Jessica Alba named her daugher Honor.

Not sure why Honor should be banned. It seems similar to Grace and Hope - a desirable quality that you hope the child has. May be an acceptable variation is Honoria (reminds me of Honoria Glossop from Wodehouse)..
Lose Yourself!
boonim
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Charlotte » Nov 4th, '14, 17:55

My friend's dog is called Lady
Yo soy la princesa, comprende mis white lines.
Charlotte
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby PAINKILLƎR » Nov 4th, '14, 18:03

Guess_Who wrote:I remember reading something similar about Spanish names, there was a woman named Dolores De Cabeza, that means something like Head Aches.

:laughing:
PAINKILLƎR
Slumerican
Slumerican

Postby Guess_Who » Nov 4th, '14, 20:16

PAINKILLƎR wrote:
Guess_Who wrote:I remember reading something similar about Spanish names, there was a woman named Dolores De Cabeza, that means something like Head Aches.

:laughing:

If you liked it, check this list, they are all real names :

http://listas.20minutos.es/lista/nombre ... os-354192/

Presentación de Piernas. (Legs Presentation) :laughing: I also have a friend with an hilarious name, but don't feel like posting his full name here. Gotta keep the privacy and shit. :toocool:

Guess_Who
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby SliK » Nov 5th, '14, 00:33

Total fucking bullshit that a government can control what you name your own child.

America has a lot of their priorities fucked up but the way they defend their rights is completely commendable.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby UofLCard » Nov 5th, '14, 18:20

SliK wrote:Total fucking bullshit that a government can control what you name your own child.

America has a lot of their priorities fucked up but the way they defend their rights is completely commendable.

I see what you're saying, but even then people should think of the emotional well-being of a child (for at least the first 18 years of life when they can legally change it).
LEVITIKUZ wrote:Did y'all know Eminem's initials are MM. Like his name!!!

TRshady's unofficial official Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/trshadycommun
UofLCard
Louisville's Finest
Louisville's Finest

Postby SliK » Nov 6th, '14, 07:01

What's the harm in naming a person King, for example?
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby SliK » Nov 6th, '14, 07:02

Or Justice (which is a nice name, I actually know a girl and her sister's name is Justice), or Lady, or Major?
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby mdemaz » Nov 6th, '14, 07:02

I know a guy named Charlie Christ.

It's a common last name.
ImageImageImage
s/o to Eedee Python CP Horse Snake Pain SaJn Silver Cement Excitaz PK Rolly GW EG Charlotte Kasia Mel Wiz Solace TRex SliK Aone Atone Trimss Menzo Geno Fish Jaba Detroit Blogs Based lil_b IBR DA! Mono ROM NRG Bigray Hesky Francesco Yoda Noddy Raul
Just Silver wrote:I think every guy should massage their prostate at least once

mdemaz
Addict
Addict

Postby Guess_Who » Nov 6th, '14, 10:29

mdemaz wrote:I know a guy named Charlie Christ.

It's a common last name.

I know a lot of people named Jesus, it's a very common name here, but I've been told it's not usual in another countries, it's that truth?

Guess_Who
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby SliK » Nov 6th, '14, 10:38

Guess_Who wrote:
mdemaz wrote:I know a guy named Charlie Christ.

It's a common last name.

I know a lot of people named Jesus, it's a very common name here, but I've been told it's not usual in another countries, it's that truth?

It's probably common in Mexico (and because of that it's probably somewhat common in America). But yeah, Jesus is not a common name in English speaking countries.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Guess_Who » Nov 7th, '14, 11:19

One of my friends named Jesus, was living in the US with an american family, and they called him Jesse. because they said Jesus was a disrespectful and pretentious name :confusion: . I can't understand this, no matter how religious a person is, would be the same for common names like Mary or Angel ....

They took it a bit too far with that list, I actually like the name Duke. But to be honest some parents should think twice before they decide a name, some names are really a bitch.

Guess_Who
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Next

Return to General News