The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Revealed: How the first homes on the Moon will be created

Post and have discussions on the latest news from around the world.

Revealed: How the first homes on the Moon will be created

Postby yoda you can call me » Nov 9th, '14, 22:53

Revealed: How the first homes on the Moon will be created by robotic 3D printers

Mankind has taken one small step closer to colonising the Moon after the European Space Agency (ESA) revealed its latest plans to provide affordable housing – something we can’t even manage in London.

It’s 45 years since human beings first stepped on the rocky satellite, yet we’re still yet to solve the problem of how to cost-effectively get enough building materials up there to put together permanent – and safe – structures.

Now, thanks to the magic of 3D printing, experts say the first people could be living on the Moon in as little as 40 years.

The ESA’s latest video briefing shows more fleshed-out plans for how robotic 3D printers on wheels would, with a single unit, collect material from the surface of the Moon and convert it into a radiation- and meteor-resistant coating for human accommodation.

It is a while since the ESA set out its idea for transporting self-contained pod-like homes to the distant rock using individual rockets. Multiple pods would eventually link together to form larger “terraces” of structures, each with its own airlock and technical support module.

But the new release shows how “regolith”, the dusty material that coats the surface of the Moon, could be harnessed to coat the inflatable domes that would otherwise be vulnerable to the harsh off-Earth elements.

Skip to the one minute mark

Read more on site
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: Revealed: How the first homes on the Moon will be create

Postby Shpongle » Nov 10th, '14, 11:31

Fucking great, looks straight out of Star Wars :worship:
Nothing Lasts...But Nothing Is Lost...
Maynard James Keenan wrote:Life is too short NOT to create something with every breath we draw.

#TRmetal
Shpongle
Soldier
Soldier

Postby mdemaz » Nov 10th, '14, 13:27

I don't see the point where we could live anywhere else.

When it comes the time when the Sun starts to swell up, we gotta gtfo of the Solar System at least.
ImageImageImage
s/o to Eedee Python CP Horse Snake Pain SaJn Silver Cement Excitaz PK Rolly GW EG Charlotte Kasia Mel Wiz Solace TRex SliK Aone Atone Trimss Menzo Geno Fish Jaba Detroit Blogs Based lil_b IBR DA! Mono ROM NRG Bigray Hesky Francesco Yoda Noddy Raul
Just Silver wrote:I think every guy should massage their prostate at least once

mdemaz
Addict
Addict

Postby DetroitSkills » Nov 11th, '14, 05:39

ill believe it when it happens
MMLP2 11.5.13
#teamEncore
DetroitSkills
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby boonim » Nov 17th, '14, 18:56

StayWideAwake wrote:It bums me out to think that if we achieve any major space travel it will probably be after our time :(

What are you talking about? Hopefully, health permitting, we have a good 50 years to go! Not to mention research in gerontology and geriatrics may help us live healthily long past 100. (Hmm..better start a fitness routine just in case :-k)

What burns me is the fact that I'm never going to have any money to go on any of these trips :(.
Lose Yourself!
boonim
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby yoda you can call me » Nov 17th, '14, 19:15

boonim wrote:
StayWideAwake wrote:It bums me out to think that if we achieve any major space travel it will probably be after our time :(

What are you talking about? Hopefully, health permitting, we have a good 50 years to go! Not to mention research in gerontology and geriatrics may help us live healthily long past 100. (Hmm..better start a fitness routine just in case :-k)

What burns me is the fact that I'm never going to have any money to go on any of these trips :(.

Was gonna mention that, we could be living a lot longer in our life time due to the recent advancements and breakthroughs in science, plus our ongoing knowledge to living a healthier lifestyle.

I do think that we should be focusing a lot more on space travel than we do now though. Most of the shit that they send into to space is for the purpose of looking back at Earth for one reason or another. I think i remember Obama cancelled something to do with Nasa a while ago due to the recession or something. We need to get our shit in order man
The Matrix Has You

Image Image Image
yoda you can call me
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby boonim » Nov 18th, '14, 02:39

StayWideAwake wrote:
boonim wrote:

Not only do I not want to live past 100, but when I'm that damn old I don't know if it would even make sense at that point. We're just now trying to figure out how to get a handful of people to live in little huts on the moon. When I said "major space travel" I meant leaving this solar system type trip. It's probably going to be a while. We sent a probe to go to Pluto in 2006 or something and it's estimated to get there in like 2015 lol. We're pretty far off right now.

Perhaps you subscribe to this view: http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2014/09/why-i-hope-to-die-at-75/379329/?

I see your point. But, amazing discoveries could happen overnight and we probably have no idea what kind of cutting-edge science people are working on. Or maybe there will be an accidental discovery! I wish I could travel to space at least once. It's possible now, but no money...
Lose Yourself!
boonim
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Return to General News