The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Religious Cop Outs

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Re: Religious Cop Outs

Postby Spyder » May 10th, '11, 04:57

@ guta

no no sir, NOT having sex before marriage leads to an unstable relationship :smoking:

and again refer you to sex was made before marriage so yeah

god cant create god, makes no sense, refer to argument previously stated

god made earth seven days, not in islam.
just proves that religions make up what they want.

by your sayings. god gives free will, yet satan influences? seems like god is letting satan fuck us up.
thats not to good of him.

no one cares about the easter thing, because they cant answer it therefor they blow it off.

and guta i do not mock, my fiance is pretty religious christian which is how i know their views. it seems like alot is floppy and god cannot prove himself. "if hes real" he just wants us to believe. cant prove it? kinda dumb
ImageImageImage
Spyder
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby momentsgolden » May 10th, '11, 10:04

^Dude, what REAllY is your Easter question?! Like, it doesnt even make sense (the question that is)
Songs of the year

Tech N9ne- Gods, Ft Krizz Kaliko and Kutt Calhoun.
momentsgolden
Soldier
Soldier

Postby gutawafang » May 10th, '11, 17:38

Spyder wrote:@ guta

no no sir, NOT having sex before marriage leads to an unstable relationship :smoking:

and again refer you to sex was made before marriage so yeah

Man, as I said, I know I'll lose. I'm stating what I know. I'm stating the logic reasons behind God's intentions. Sex shouldn't be before marriage. Lust can only be satisfied after marriage.

god cant create god, makes no sense, refer to argument previously stated

The reason I said, God created God is because God exists. It is usually when you think it doesn't make sense which makes God. God is not supposed to make you believe in Him. He wants to see if we would sway from believing in Him. Of course, as I said, I can't win because the devil usually wins... but only on Earth. God gave Satan powers because He knows that Satan is the best test for humans. Once again, we should not question God.

god made earth seven days, not in islam.
just proves that religions make up what they want.

No. Muhammad met an Angel. He was the one who spread religion. Muhammad was a perfect human being. An idol for all humans. People threw literal shit on his face but he was patient and wasn't mad at all. Imagine that. Muhammad didn't use war to take over Mecca, which was full of statues back then. He simply marched in with his army.

by your sayings. god gives free will, yet satan influences? seems like god is letting satan fuck us up.
thats not to good of him.

God is not letting Satan fuck us up. It is WE that let Satan fucks us up. Not believing in God is the first an easiest step for Satan to succeed. Satan's plan is to make us think that God is bullshit. And he succeeded for you.

no one cares about the easter thing, because they cant answer it therefor they blow it off.

and guta i do not mock, my fiance is pretty religious christian which is how i know their views. it seems like alot is floppy and god cannot prove himself. "if hes real" he just wants us to believe. cant prove it? kinda dumb

One more time, you're not supposed to question if he is real. You're not supposed to prove he exists because he does.

ADD ME ON PS4: gutawafang
Currently playing: Destiny
TR Rap Battle Record: 23-8
gutawafang
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby dead prez » May 11th, '11, 02:08

I'm agnostic leaning towards atheist though I grew up in a Catholic household going to church wasn't really enforced by our parents and I just stopped going altogether past 8th grade. Anyways i kind of agree with VBV's op, somewhat, and am surprised that some people didn't know that Satanists (er well some Satanists) don't worship the devil but moreso follow a specfic set of hedonistic guidelines. :unsure:

There's another thing I'd like to address anyone who claims they get their morality from the Bible rather than basic reasoning are hypocrites and tend to nitpick the Bible so that it fits their agenda, hence if we did than we'd have to stone people for working on the sabbath, condone slavery, etc.

GenePeer wrote:
So to clarify, I believe in religion; be it Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Satanism, etc... So long as you are comfortable with it. Why did I choose Christianity? Simple, my parents are Christian so it's the first religion I got introduced to. If there comes a time when it's no longer helping me with life and getting harder to believe, I will convert to a religion more suitable.

So that's more like you being a product of your environment, and let's say there was an omniscient God, wouldn't he know that you're not really a follower of his faith but are merely using it for solace and are being disingenuous?

gutawafang wrote:It's because of opinions like this that cause you to sway from your faith in God. The point is, God cannot be questioned because we don't know a lot of things. We simply got to believe because it is simply the truth and nothing else.

All of this is nothing but appeal to wishful thinking, how do you know there's a God in the first place? And how do you know if he's moral or not? If you were told that there was a giant disembodied polka dotted clitoris in the center of the earth, would you believe it?

There's also something people call, "times". Times have changed, then what? Are we gonna change our practices of faith in God too? God created time to test us of our faith in Him. He's just testing us to see if the Devil can influence us into thinking these so called opinions that God don't exist.

Another thing I'd like to address with the "times", whatever religion you are, if you live in a modern civilized community than your morals would most likely reflect that culture's. Not to murder, steal, adultery, etc. Christians' morality (or any other religion for that matter) isn't better than anyone else's. 200 years ago the Bible was used to condone slavery, obviously not all Christians supported it but a vast amount did, to make a difference. If ANY religion's so called morality was consistant for more than a few hundred years and mirrored that of our society's than I might take it seriously, but
for the most part, I have yet to find one. Guaranteed if you were born hundreds of years ago, your morality or beliefs would be very different than that of today's.

That's the problem I have with Holy books is cause of all the loopholes they have and if in the wrong hands can be interpreted very differently.
Of course, as I said, I don't plan to win this debate. I'm simply stating what exactly I know about God. God created humans. Humans created science. In fact, God created science for humans to live comfortably. We should never say we're cleverer than God. We should never win God because He is the greatest of all.

That's circular reasoning.

And about this whole God sends you to Hell bullshit, but still loves you annoys the shit out of me. Original sin and how we're to blame for the mistakes of our ancestors years ago, and that God is being nice to us for supposedly trying to save an elite bunch from eternal damnation. It just doesn't make sense, sort of like abusing a kid by tying him to his bed every night for shit his siblings did and that claiming that you're being nice to him by not killing him. And really the whole concept of Hell is retarded, human beings can only commit a finite amount of crimes in one's lifetime, even beings like Hitler (as much of a scumbag as he is) don't deserve eternal punishment for finite crimes, how is it justice? The worst part is the degradation of the human race and how we're all eternal sinners that need to be cleansed and saved because some bitch felt rebellious.
dead prez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby GenePeer » May 11th, '11, 02:43

diction wrote:
GenePeer wrote: So to clarify, I believe in religion; be it Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, Hinduism, Satanism, etc... So long as you are comfortable with it. Why did I choose Christianity? Simple, my parents are Christian so it's the first religion I got introduced to. If there comes a time when it's no longer helping me with life and getting harder to believe, I will convert to a religion more suitable.

So that's more like you being a product of your environment, and let's say there was an omniscient God, wouldn't he know that you're not really a follower of his faith but are merely using it for solace and are being disingenuous?

If there was an omniscient God, I hope that he'll understand... But just think of it, with so many religions around, each with their devoted believers, other than your environment or choosing what suites your personality best (my cases as clearly quoted), how can anyone trully justify their choice of religion, thus nullify the existence of all the others? Aren't we all products of our environment?
GenePeer
Soldier
Soldier

Postby VenomBlackViper » May 11th, '11, 02:46

Being a product of your environment should be an experience, not a lifestyle choice. If you're born into a heavily religious family you shouldn't blindly follow their choices as your own simply because you were born into it & used to it. You take the experiences you got from there & make your own choices based on what you feel.
VenomBlackViper
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Spyder » May 11th, '11, 02:47

i <3 Diction

what was your last username btw?
ImageImageImage
Spyder
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby VenomBlackViper » May 11th, '11, 02:49

Spyder wrote:i <3 Diction

what was your last username btw?

The artist formerly known as dead prez.
VenomBlackViper
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby dead prez » May 11th, '11, 02:51

GenePeer wrote: If there was an omniscient God, I hope that he'll understand... But just think of it, with so many religions around, each with their devoted believers, other than your environment or choosing what suites your personality best (my cases as clearly quoted), how can anyone trully justify their choice of religion, thus nullify the existence of all the others? Aren't we all products of our environment?

Which is why I have a hard time following religion in general, how do I know which one's right or which one's wrong? If there's even a right one, though I don't particularly see anything wrong with having "faith", which is what you seem to hold, am I correct?

@ Spyder, I used to go under dead prez, loll.
dead prez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby GenePeer » May 11th, '11, 03:06

diction wrote:
GenePeer wrote: If there was an omniscient God, I hope that he'll understand... But just think of it, with so many religions around, each with their devoted believers, other than your environment or choosing what suites your personality best (my cases as clearly quoted), how can anyone trully justify their choice of religion, thus nullify the existence of all the others? Aren't we all products of our environment?

Which is why I have a hard time following religion in general, how do I know which one's right or which one's wrong? If there's even a right one, though I don't particularly see anything wrong with having "faith", which is what you seem to hold, am I correct?

Yeah, I see the importance of being in a religion. It helps you go through life, dealing with hard times and all, so I join. But with this mentality, I obviously can't become a true believer! So I get overall message and let it guide me through my life. The rest are just technicalities that I feel don't really matter. Why does it matter that I had sex before marriage? etc. In the end, you find most of it is common sense: don't kill, don't steal, etc... I admit though, I don't have the integrity to stick to my principles on my own but simply the thought that someone's helping eventually helps to fight the temptations, helps me forgive myself,... Probably some placebo effect or God is really helping, I don't know but it works for me.

Kinda like how some people can quit drugs on their own (atheist) while others need to go to rehab (me).
GenePeer
Soldier
Soldier

Postby dead prez » May 11th, '11, 03:14

GenePeer wrote: Yeah, I see the importance of being in a religion. It helps you go through life, dealing with hard times and all, so I join.

I'm not judging you, and I don't come off as judgemental but you follow your religion or have faith merely because it comforts you? I mean that's fine, nothing wrong with that, but you know as they say religion is the opiate of the masses.
But with this mentality, I obviously can't become a true believer! So I get overall message and let it guide me through my life. The rest are just technicalities that I feel don't really matter.

True, you don't need religion to be an upstanding member of society, one can be perfectly moral without being a God fearing individual. In fact morality is best if we apply it with reason rather than appealing to authority (God).

Why does it matter that I had sex before marriage? etc. In the end, you find most of it is common sense: don't kill, don't steal, etc... I admit though, I don't have the integrity to stick to my principles on my own but simply the thought that someone's helping eventually helps to fight the temptations, helps me forgive myself,... Probably some placebo effect or God is really helping, I don't know but it works for me.

All the religious laws that are in effect seem pretty arbitrary nowadays and quite frankly like you said most of them are common sense or rather shit that is embedded and taught to us through society not religion.
Kinda like how some people can quit drugs on their own (atheist) while others need to go to rehab (me).

:y:
dead prez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby GenePeer » May 11th, '11, 03:35

diction wrote:
GenePeer wrote: Yeah, I see the importance of being in a religion. It helps you go through life, dealing with hard times and all, so I join.

I'm not judging you, and I don't come off as judgemental but you follow your religion or have faith merely because it comforts you? I mean that's fine, nothing wrong with that, but you know as they say religion is the opiate of the masses.

I know I could be happy just as an atheist, and I know I could be happier in a religion... Is it surprising that I decided to follow my religion? That's basically it. As for the rest of the post, it seems we are now on the same page
:y:
GenePeer
Soldier
Soldier

Postby gutawafang » May 11th, '11, 04:02

diction wrote:

gutawafang wrote:It's because of opinions like this that cause you to sway from your faith in God. The point is, God cannot be questioned because we don't know a lot of things. We simply got to believe because it is simply the truth and nothing else.

All of this is nothing but appeal to wishful thinking, how do you know there's a God in the first place? And how do you know if he's moral or not? If you were told that there was a giant disembodied polka dotted clitoris in the center of the earth, would you believe it?

yes. but the thing is, it's written that humans were made from the soil extracted from the centre of the earth. god sent an angel to extract it. hence, no. i won't believe it.
gutawafang
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby dead prez » May 11th, '11, 04:04

Really? Alright I'm not going to argue with you as it's obvious we hold very different beliefs but you really believe that?
dead prez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby gutawafang » May 11th, '11, 07:04

diction wrote:Really? Alright I'm not going to argue with you as it's obvious we hold very different beliefs but you really believe that?

It's written. I believe it not because I have to. It's credible. Same here man, I find it pointless to argue cuz we have different beliefs.

I've always debated with my Christian friends over who is correct. We tend to settle the score simply by stopping and remain good friends. In the end, when we die, we'll see who's right. Only when we die will we see the truth, over who God really is and only when we we die will we see the point of religion.
gutawafang
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Debate