The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Free Speech?

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Re: Free Speech?

Postby EminemBase » May 18th, '11, 04:44

jba1me wrote:
WilyMo021 wrote:What exactly did you say?

You could be being intentionally vague in order to get your desired response from Eminem fans.

wasnt trying to be intentionally vague. my bad. i said gonna make me run in school and pull another columbine

Well that's just a line for the sake of comparison. Exaggeration... I mean, if Columbine was fictional they wouldn't say anything. You can say what you want anyway, tell them to fuck off.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Postby christalgurl » May 18th, '11, 16:27

I would just say the line was an exaggeration, that it wasn't serious. It was just a way to get out your angry feelings, but that you'd never actually act on the line. That should help.
christalgurl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby No Way Out » May 18th, '11, 17:58

Hahahaa .. how did you use the term "Columbine"?

Cause if you said something like ... "im gonna reinact the columbine shoooting tomorow" .. I can see why there'd be cause for alarm. but if you just randomly brought it up.. thats bs
Maybe wrote:This is pretty damn good. For what it is, a simple, smooth flowing punch-line verse, it's perfect. You didn't miss a single rhyme, and the content was amusing. Good stuff man, really good.

10/10

C.R.E.A.M wrote:I thought that dude is all about trash talk and he's gonna leave the tourney in the first round.. but that was actually dangerous. :sweating:

Battle Record : 1-0
NWO, for short...

WARNING: This Cute Puppy's Got a Mean Bite ... Im Gonnna Have To Put a Sign on My Sig Or Something.
No Way Out
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby christalgurl » May 18th, '11, 19:44

No Way Out wrote:Hahahaa .. how did you use the term "Columbine"?

Cause if you said something like ... "im gonna reinact the columbine shoooting tomorow" .. I can see why there'd be cause for alarm. but if you just randomly brought it up.. thats bs

That's basically what he said. :whistle:

jba1me wrote:i said gonna make me run in school and pull another columbine
christalgurl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby BigBoss » May 18th, '11, 21:49

christalgurl wrote:
No Way Out wrote:Hahahaa .. how did you use the term "Columbine"?

That's basically what he said. :whistle:

jba1me wrote:i said gonna make me run in school and pull another columbine

Wait....

Who said you could talk? Get back to the kitchen, women.
:spank:
RIP IN PEACE VIGILANCE
BigBoss
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Willy » May 19th, '11, 02:24

See, at this point with you saying something like that, as a principle he had every right to take you into his office and have a talk with you.

Granted, I don't know anything about you. Your teacher/principle just picked up a CD with you saying these things, and by law I believe they have to investigate. Now, you could just calmly explain to them the intended artistic effect those lyrics had. If they were just meant to be shocking...well, you got it. :y:

Fuck Willou
Willy
Soldier
Soldier

Postby jba1me » May 19th, '11, 03:01

WilyMo021 wrote:See, at this point with you saying something like that, as a principle he had every right to take you into his office and have a talk with you.

Granted, I don't know anything about you. Your teacher/principle just picked up a CD with you saying these things, and by law I believe they have to investigate. Now, you could just calmly explain to them the intended artistic effect those lyrics had. If they were just meant to be shocking...well, you got it. :y:

thats what i did but its still on my record..and this was only the 2nd time ive ever been in trouble at school..everyone in my first block thinks im a bad ass now because 2 sro's had to come get me along with the principal.. i was wondering also can anything happen to you if you just post songs on your facebook?
Detox - July 16th
BME leak - June 3rd
jba1me
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Willy » May 19th, '11, 03:36

What exactly is on your record, like whats it say? And the thing you have to understand is that even if a principle of a school hears, by word of mouth, rumor, through the grapevine, whatever, about some student being a potential threat to the lives of other students, he has to act on it.

Posting stuff on your Facebook is taking a chance, a chance some kid is going to click on it, listen, and go tell someone about it. . .."Hey Principle Johnston, so and so didn't take those songs down, he put them on his facebook!!!!!" I'm not saying you are wrong, or what you did was wrong, I'm just telling you how it is.

Fuck Willou
Willy
Soldier
Soldier

Postby psu24 » May 19th, '11, 06:05

I can see where the school is coming from but I don't think they really needed to make that big a deal of it. Though with all the school shootings we've had in this country over the past decade it's not hard to see why it would be cause for alarm. I totally agree with free speech and although that wasn't a direct threat and you had no intention on acting on the lyrics you know damn well they're not going to see it that way. I mean if your walking around the school saying "I'm gonna blow this whole building up" or some shit like that it's not really the issue of free speech it'll be seen as a threat. Now if it said something like fuck all the teachers that would be that's not an issue although it probably would be to them but that's just saying how you feel. But, yeah freedom of speech is the most important ammendment we have imo.
psu24
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Jiskefet » May 23rd, '11, 22:32

People are afraid nowadays. Thats why they are responding the way they do. I wouldnt post your songs on facebook. Even here in Holland, where the mentality is very different compared to the USA, people were seriously arrested at their homes lately for stuff they said on twitter about some shootings. Recent shootings, but still...
"When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest." - Henry David Thoreau.
Jiskefet
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby flyingmonkey10 » May 25th, '11, 21:25

there is no such thing as free speech. everybody's a fucking critic and no matter what you say, or how explicit you are, some asshole is gonna shit on you no matter what
:'(
How can hip-hop be dead if Wu-Tang is forever?

Image ImageImageImageImage
flyingmonkey10
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Manly Moose » Jul 7th, '11, 06:12

You should have been laughing. If I was in your position I would play along and answer all their questions seriously, even though its obvious that I find the whole situation hilarious. Just play along and keep a big grin on your face, they probably have to do this sort of thing but they are gonna feel stupid/rush through it because your making it obvious that its a waste of their time.
Manly Moose
Soldier
Soldier

Previous

Return to Serious Debate