The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Question about life.

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Question about life.

Postby Jiskefet » May 31st, '11, 22:30

I do not want to get too philosophical but I am on kind of a turning point in my life at the moment and lately the following question crosses my mind a lot:

To what degree have I actually controlled the course my life has taken?

I have to say for me personally, most things just turned out the way they are now, I have never been planning stuff and did a lot of things just because they were logical or in an impulse. Most important dicisions were not preceeded by an extensive thinking process for me. I think this is kind of strange because I am a very rational person thinking a lot about less important topics than my own life. However, a lot of important dicisions are taken purely on intuition but that is still an influence by yourself I guess.

I cannot answer this question for myself yet, and I felt like posting it even though I realise it is perhaps too much of a personal thing too debate about. Maybe some of you people have some thoughts about it. In a way, it has something to do with the nature/nurture discussion with the nurture as a personal factor I guess. :whistle:
"When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest." - Henry David Thoreau.
Jiskefet
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Re: Question about life.

Postby EminemBase » Jun 2nd, '11, 10:41

Well, on a broad scale, there is no one answer.

There can't be one answer, even for one person let alone everybody. But, you already know that I know, given the phrasing of the question / context. But...

We grow up with different brains and therefore different decision making variables, in different surroundings, around different people - also with different X, Y Z etc.

All these many many variables and so much more factor into it. It's like one constant mix of factors so, as for myself... again, unless you'd literally recorded every decision that you'd ever made you couldn't begin to even hazard a sensible guess.

Even if you did that, there's the world around you making decisions affecting you in ways you have no idea of. There's always a causal chain, so, somebody's decision could mean you get stabbed in the neck later on walking down the street, even if you played no hand in that, didn't anger anybody and it took you totally by surprise. So if that then happened, you could end up in the hospital and eventually a slightly different person with a slightly different outlook and so on and so on...

A question like this is more-so academic and just for the sake of asking really, but yeah... logically, there is no way of beginning to answer it.

I suppose you could slightly re-phrase or re-think it as in...

Do our decisions alone shape our path...

Or, whatever, but, that kind of phrasing I think would be maybe slightly easier to think about in more rational terms. But, even though there is a causal chain and you could play no true hand in a position you end up in, you also do play every role in it and just don't realize that you do sometimes.

Then other times you consciously know what you're doing and do it, like for example if you want to follow a certain career path or something. But then, so many factors could mean that even if you did everything 'right' you could end up, by 'chance' in an originally undesired, very different but later much loved position that was totally unexpected but now appreciated.

I think it's unanswerable. It's not quite like but, is somewhat like asking "why is mountain" or something. Sometimes, we can ask questions but it doesn't mean they have an actual answer.

But, we can just muster up a question about pretty much anything but much like, I don't think that the human race will EVER be satisfied with the 'answer' of how the Universe truly began because... it's like when you try and comprehend what was 'before' the Big Bang.

Our minds can't process that, because technically there was nothing. But, even in my brain as I write this, that's, I can't comprehend it. Because that's the reality that 'before' (there was no before) it all began, there was nothing. But we still perceive nothing as something so, that's why I think some humans will always turn to God as a crutch / explanation to ease that confusion.

It's like Steven Pinker said, the human brain may not of been designed, in fact wasn't designed to solve these sorts of problems.

They were 'designed' by natural selection, overtime, to survive. Everything we do now is academic and stimulating but, we're always reaching beyond our limits and often achieving new heights and, our thought-waves may in fact be evolving because, there is infinite pathways that can be created in the brain. So who knows what we'll understand in 1,000 more years. Our brains are pretty incredible.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Postby Jiskefet » Jun 2nd, '11, 22:41

Thanks for the response man, I like the way you put it. You have some interesting points, will respond later when I have some more time on my hands! :b:
"When I hear music, I fear no danger. I am invulnerable. I see no foe. I am related to the earliest times, and to the latest." - Henry David Thoreau.
Jiskefet
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby the real slim shady » Jun 20th, '11, 17:50

We control our lives to a certain extent but society stops us from doing certain things. If society didnt exist in the form it currently does we would probably have more freedom over what happens in our lives.

It is impossible to imagine whether we actually control everything that happens in our lives, like trying to imagine how big the universe is- you cant do it. I am however prety sure that my life isnt a computer game type thing controlled by something else because i dont randomly go on killing sprees etc. so i guess that we do control the things that happen in our lives, but i cant be sure.

(i like killing spree when i play games, im a teenager.)
the real slim shady
Renegade
Renegade

Postby trinell05 » Jun 22nd, '11, 11:51

For a while I felt like my life was completely out of my control and nothing I seemed to do was having an affect on my future. Then one day, I was thinking about my current situation and realized that had I not applied to a job that I knew was going to hate after college, I wouldn't have met this girl whose mom referred me to a program that ultimately put me in my destined position.

There are so many trivial things that happen in your life that you just ignore, and it's amazing when they all come together. So I know that I made the right decisions, even though they may have felt wrong at the time, so I feel like I controlled my life to a certain extent. But I will always wonder how things came to fall into place as they did. How much influence did I really have? :unsure:
IcedSlim Shady wrote:why half of you, on this forum, are so dickhead?

"I'm a preachin', twerkin,' bible-readin' mothafucka."
I Wish That I Could Be A Holmie 4 Life.
trinell05
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Eedee » Aug 9th, '11, 11:23

42, man. That's all you have to remember. 42...
mdemaz wrote:dam
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby mdemaz » Aug 9th, '11, 11:56

42 is the meaning of life.
ImageImageImage
s/o to Eedee Python CP Horse Snake Pain SaJn Silver Cement Excitaz PK Rolly GW EG Charlotte Kasia Mel Wiz Solace TRex SliK Aone Atone Trimss Menzo Geno Fish Jaba Detroit Blogs Based lil_b IBR DA! Mono ROM NRG Bigray Hesky Francesco Yoda Noddy Raul
Just Silver wrote:I think every guy should massage their prostate at least once

mdemaz
Addict
Addict

Postby TonyTilt » Jan 13th, '12, 22:30

trinell05 wrote:For a while I felt like my life was completely out of my control and nothing I seemed to do was having an affect on my future. Then one day, I was thinking about my current situation and realized that had I not applied to a job that I knew was going to hate after college, I wouldn't have met this girl whose mom referred me to a program that ultimately put me in my destined position.

There are so many trivial things that happen in your life that you just ignore, and it's amazing when they all come together. So I know that I made the right decisions, even though they may have felt wrong at the time, so I feel like I controlled my life to a certain extent. But I will always wonder how things came to fall into place as they did. How much influence did I really have? :unsure:

Nicely put, I like to believe everything happens for a reason during instances like your job situation. I know I'm going to likely hate my first job after college, but hopefully that opens doors for better situations. Congrats on getting the job you wanted btw!
Solace wrote:Finna catch Tony brushing his teeth in the middle of chugging Jack Daniels

#Slumerican
TonyTilt
Renegade
Renegade

Return to Serious Debate