The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Who Has Had It The Worst?

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Who has had it the worst?

Native American Indians
5%
African Americans
32%
Jews
63%

Total votes : 19

Re: Who Has Had It The Worst?

Postby MikeNUFC » Jun 30th, '11, 00:38

Although I don't really like to compare, the fact Native Americans has no votes suprises me. I don't think people are fully aware of the history of Natives compared to African Americans or Jews - it's something that isn't really taught a lot in schools which is a major shame, especially as it's still prelevant today.

Imagine living in a country and rich strangers finding this country and destroying your customs, culture and tribal rights and trying to turn you into one of "them" through Urbanisation and Americanisation. It's absolutely astonishing how badly they were treated - they were given more civil "rights" than African Americans but the problem was, they didn't want these rights (can they be called 'rights' if they don't benefit you?). They, generally, wanted their cultural rights which made them such a close-knit community and had been accustomed to for centuries. They forced Natives to adapt to a new culture, yet they were still discriminated against when they tried to get used to new surroundings in the cities. No policies that were passed, even ones that tried to help (such as the Dawes Act), gave any consultation to what the Natives actaully wanted. Nixon was the only President to really try and help them. It was only Red Power and groups like NARF, that fought from the Supreme Court, that made a change and helped regain their culture.

That's why it amazes me when I hear American's (as well as Britains) complaining about immigration and how immigrants are taking their culture (which is rubbish anyway), when it was their ancesestors who destroyed Native American cultural originally. There's a Facebook status I saw online where some American says (talking about immigration) "Please give our country back" with the caption 'Done. Your property now belongs to a Native American.' Sums ignorance up perfectly.

Overall, I'd argue they probably had it worse than the other two, as in terms of it's effect and prevelance today, they are still feeling it hardest. Obviously, slavery is still felt in a large way today (ghettos etc) and there's still an incredible amount of anti-semitism; I don't want you to think I think they had it much worse and I don't want to underestimate how badly Jews and African Americans were treated.
MikeNUFC
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby iain08 » Jun 30th, '11, 00:57

Sekou wrote:"Jews defs had it the worst" - damn, what a contribution. What the fuck you think the poll is for? So that you can write a post basically saying "I vote for jews"? Guess again.
And I don't have to have posted in this thread myself to view it and be disgusted at what you define as humour.

so why are you posting in this thread to take out your pms anger on me? the fact that you're getting so butthurt over this is funny. at least before you decided to take part in this thread every reply was still on topic.
iain08
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Sekou » Jun 30th, '11, 01:13

iain08 wrote:
Sekou wrote:"Jews defs had it the worst" - damn, what a contribution. What the fuck you think the poll is for? So that you can write a post basically saying "I vote for jews"? Guess again.
And I don't have to have posted in this thread myself to view it and be disgusted at what you define as humour.

so why are you posting in this thread to take out your pms anger on me? the fact that you're getting so butthurt over this is funny. at least before you decided to take part in this thread every reply was still on topic.

Well, I couldn't refrain getting a little angry seeing such idiocy that is then meant to be funny, when it comes to discusding such a serious topic; regardless if I was involved in this discussion or not.
Sekou
Soldier
Soldier

Postby BigBoss » Jun 30th, '11, 09:06

Sekou wrote:
iain08 wrote:

Well, I couldn't refrain getting a little angry seeing such idiocy that is then meant to be funny, when it comes to discusding such a serious topic; regardless if I was involved in this discussion or not.

whats really funny is you guys are thinking i wqas joking about the whites deserve a spot in the poll :angry: :'(
RIP IN PEACE VIGILANCE
BigBoss
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Sekou » Jun 30th, '11, 09:17

Well, if you honrstly weren't joking then it's really not funny, it's just sad.
Sekou
Soldier
Soldier

Postby BigBoss » Jun 30th, '11, 17:46

Sekou wrote:Well, if you honrstly weren't joking then it's really not funny, it's just sad.

: ( mad, Stanley?
RIP IN PEACE VIGILANCE
BigBoss
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Sekou » Jun 30th, '11, 18:01

SWEET_TOOTH wrote:
Sekou wrote:Well, if you honrstly weren't joking then it's really not funny, it's just sad.

No.
Sekou
Soldier
Soldier

Postby WakeUpShow » Jun 30th, '11, 18:05

Seriously, though. Gingers.
WakeUpShow
Role Model
Role Model

Postby iain08 » Jun 30th, '11, 19:47

Sekou wrote:No.

You're clearly mad, don't deny it.
iain08
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby BigBoss » Jun 30th, '11, 21:50

Sekou wrote:
SWEET_TOOTH wrote:

No.

: (
RIP IN PEACE VIGILANCE
BigBoss
Role Model
Role Model

Postby dead prez » Jul 1st, '11, 04:05

Yeah, I don't really like to compare seeing as they all had it pretty bad, but to varying degrees. I do feel that Native Americans do tend to be overlooked on the scale of who had it worst, as schools don't really go in depth in their past. Though a lot of school text books are heaping crocks of shit, so...

Who had it worst though probably Africans, not African Americans (they had it shitty too), but European colonization really did a number on Africa and it can't be underestimated just how badly the continent suffered from it. It wasn't a benevolent basket of cherries either but more like cultural upheavel, unlike say the Arabic conquest. Not to mention that some people seem to believe that European colonization benefitted Africa which is really laughable, and have the idea that before being colonized that they were nothing but mere savages. Once the continent came up for grabs it basically became a resident shithole infested with Aids, dictators funded and rebels founded by outside superpowers, arbitrarily drawn national borders, genocide, civil wars etc.

The Atlantic Slave trade also happened to be it's own animal altogether, which was fueled by being racial based and taking advantage of The New World's resources and frontier.

The Arabic slave trade which preceded the Atlantic Slave Trade wasn't racial based and was fully participated by various African civilizations.

However as dangerous as pretending European colonization isn't the reason Africa is fucked up, is pretending the reason it's still in a crisis because of various people taking advantage of the situation while trying to establish themselves as president of whatever nation they can get their hands on.

Make no mistake the European colonization didn't help Africa in any way and turned a once stable continent into what it is today, unlike say the Arabic conquest which for the most part benefitted the Continent and was restricted to the Mahgreb. They gave it a cultural core in Islam, trading partners, and the camel which allowed trade across the Sahara to become possible.

Which pretty much shows that nothing is pure in essence and we all get ideas from somewhere else, today's nations were conquered by other great civiliaztion which in turn were conquered by other civilizations. Which is why I get a laugh when people are obssessed with cultural purity, which is nothing but a mix of various ideas/philosophies.
dead prez
Renegade
Renegade

Postby BigBoss » Jul 19th, '11, 23:50

kareem said wrote:Yeah, I don't really like to compare seeing as they all had it pretty bad, but to varying degrees. I do feel that Native Americans do tend to be overlooked on the scale of who had it worst, as schools don't really go in depth in their past. Though a lot of school text books are heaping crocks of shit, so...

Who had it worst though probably Africans, not African Americans (they had it shitty too), but European colonization really did a number on Africa and it can't be underestimated just how badly the continent suffered from it. It wasn't a benevolent basket of cherries either but more like cultural upheavel, unlike say the Arabic conquest. Not to mention that some people seem to believe that European colonization benefitted Africa which is really laughable, and have the idea that before being colonized that they were nothing but mere savages. Once the continent came up for grabs it basically became a resident shithole infested with Aids, dictators funded and rebels founded by outside superpowers, arbitrarily drawn national borders, genocide, civil wars etc.

The Atlantic Slave trade also happened to be it's own animal altogether, which was fueled by being racial based and taking advantage of The New World's resources and frontier.

The Arabic slave trade which preceded the Atlantic Slave Trade wasn't racial based and was fully participated by various African civilizations.

However as dangerous as pretending European colonization isn't the reason Africa is fucked up, is pretending the reason it's still in a crisis because of various people taking advantage of the situation while trying to establish themselves as president of whatever nation they can get their hands on.

Make no mistake the European colonization didn't help Africa in any way and turned a once stable continent into what it is today, unlike say the Arabic conquest which for the most part benefitted the Continent and was restricted to the Mahgreb. They gave it a cultural core in Islam, trading partners, and the camel which allowed trade across the Sahara to become possible.

Which pretty much shows that nothing is pure in essence and we all get ideas from somewhere else, today's nations were conquered by other great civiliaztion which in turn were conquered by other civilizations. Which is why I get a laugh when people are obssessed with cultural purity, which is nothing but a mix of various ideas/philosophies.

tl;dr
RIP IN PEACE VIGILANCE
BigBoss
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Fa-Q » Jul 21st, '11, 03:45

Jews have had it bad for thousands of years....I can see why they're cheap, cut throat bastards now...they earned that right
Fa-Q
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby christalgurl » Jul 26th, '11, 01:51

Jews have had it bad the longest I'd say. I'm not really an expert at all on what's happened to the different groups, just things I've learned in school and seen in life. I am shocked that no one voted Native Americans yet. It's hard to compare tragedies and injustices like this, but I did vote Jews.
christalgurl
Soldier
Soldier

Postby aprilm » Jul 26th, '11, 03:25

Sorting through this kind of tragic injustice is a losing battle - all of these groups have suffered in the past and in some ways still have it bad. I voted for Native Americans though, based on my opinion that their plight continues to be ignored much more significantly than Jews or African Americans. (At least in America). The 1st amendment and the Civil Rights Act at least afford some protection and legal remedies against discrimination to Jews and African Americans.

As a (maybe) interesting offshoot of this, have you ever considered why we consider Jews a race and not a religion? I think the poll here is based on race (which explains why women aren't included), and the Holocaust was carried out for racial, not religious, reasons. But I've always considered "Jewish" to be more of an expression of faith than a race. You can choose to be Jewish, after all. You can't choose to be black, or white, or Native American.
aprilm
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Debate