The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Response to momentsgolden (on Religion)

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Response to momentsgolden (on Religion)

Postby EminemBase » Jun 17th, '11, 19:36

momentsgolden wrote:Edit: - This could be my longest post ever, but Base has crossed the line with his assertion that his opinion is fact. No, i'm not saying its not true. Get it straight from the outset. I'm NOT saying there is a God or that there is no God. I'm saying there is enough rationality to RESPECT either position. Something you are blatantly blind to.

Right, first of all - nowhere have I asserted my 'opinion' as fact. Logic isn't 'my opinion', I don't own logic. Science is not 'my opinion', I don't own science.

Me saying "there is no god" is not my opinion. That's a logical conclusion based on the fact that there being a 'supernatural god' that created the Universe would violate the laws of science and therefore make everything we know wrong. Now, it is a FACT that the laws of science are RIGHT.

If they were not:
- cars would not run.
- computers would not work.
- calculators would not work.

Almost no technology you see around you using electricity or elements of mathematics or science would function properly or perform its tasks, if the laws of science were wrong. So we KNOW that science is correct. Science confirms itself through example.

SO, for there to be a god, these laws would all need to be incorrect (which we know they aren't) for the kind of god you mean to exist. And we know that they aren't. So yes we do know that there is no god, based on our reality. It's impossible.

So also please stop pretending they have nothing to do with one another. Religion asserts that it knows how we were created and that there is a god in the Universe. That ISSSSSSS a scientific question that is either true / or not true. You can't pretend it's outside of science because it's not.

If you wish to believe there is, in spite of clear logic that's your choice. But you cannot say there is 'enough rationality' to support either side as there is ZERO, ziltch, NADA rationality to support the idea of a personal god. The idea of an impersonal god which is more like an unconscious mega-center of the Universe is more plausible - still almost certainly not true but can glimmer the smallest inch of respect, enough so to allow itself a place in the conversation.

But the god you are asserting has 'enough rationality ' aka a personal god that answers your prayers, concerns itself in human affairs, chooses sides in wars and is basically a giant human being to comfort you is ABSURD. And no, there is no no no, none, zero, no rationality to support that idea. None at all. Please - share with me an ounce of 'rationality' to support it, as I've never heard a single rational argument for the idea in my life and I grew up in a Roman Catholic primary school and high school. So don't think I'm ill-informed.

Rationality is based on science. Rationality is science. Rationality is the exercise of reason and reason is logic. Logic and reason concerns ideas that you can put forward and then prove with evidence. Evidence that can be recorded and executed through experiment and seen with the human eyes.

There is no evidence for any god, there is no rational argument or reasoned arguments even for any god. So no, there is absolutely no rationality for your side. None at all. Believe what you like but please do not try and sneak your silly idea into science as if it deserves respect in that realm. As it doesn't and never has.

You make an exception in regards to god, because it concerns life and death, because you were indoctrinated to believe it's true and because you wish it were true. But do you make the same exception for any other ideas? let me ask you if you think there is 'enough rationality' to support either side of these following ideas...

- humans can climb inside themselves.
- I can turn invisible with concentration.
- I can mind read.
- I can lift up a house above my head.
- I can run faster than a 747 jet plane.
- I can jump 2,000 ft in the air.
- I could jump out of a plane at 40,000 feet, land on a bed of spikes and survive.
- I could have my head chopped off and then perform maths equations.
- I could grab a bullet in mid-air.

And on and on and on. And no, please do not pretend I'm being over-the-top or making unfair comparisons. As the idea of a personal god is more impossible and unprovable than all these ideas PUT TOGETHER. So, I would 'assume', though I'm still asking - that you would consider all or most of those absolutely impossible and would say it's ridiculous to say they're true or achievable?

I would hope so. Otherwise I'd seriously consider checking yourself in to a mental hospital.

So, if you agree those ideas are impossible and do not have sufficient or 'any' rational basis to support, how dare you be so arrogant, yes YOU are the arrogant one to assert your claim, which like I say - is more impossible than all those put together - has ANY rational basis, or enough to be respected or in the same circles, or next to - science.

You don't make the exception for all ridiculous ideas, you just make the exception for the one you happen to believe in and you only happen to believe in it because you happened to have been born where you were, into the family you were and happen to have been brought up on that religion. If you were brought up in a different country with a different family, you'd believe something else. Which shows how facile and variable, and pointless all religion is.

So yes, it IS stupid to believe in a personal god, it is unfounded, it is ridiculous, it is unscientific, it is illogical, it is not true and I couldn't care less if that offends you - it's not my opinion, it's reality. Just like it's all those things, to believe any of those things or any other impossible claim you may dream to think up. God is no different, you just think it is because you believe it and want it to be true.

Now, that's just the logical side of things. That's just the idea itself. Never mind the 'morals' or ideas, or history of religion itself. And for you to assert that religion and in particular Catholicism - which is responsible for mass-genocide and utter ignorance deserves as much respect as something that strives for truth and progression and holds unbiased, logical accounts of reality - for you to assert that, whether or not you think the idea of god is valid - is incredibly arrogant and shows you know little about the history of your own religion, to have the fucking audacity to say it.

momentsgolden wrote:This is what we call in religious circles hypocrisy. Are you familiar with the term? You say you cant choose a value system and say its, in absolute terms, TRUE and then go on to ascertain yours as true. WTF?!!!

No no no no no no. Once again. You're confusing my opinion with reality.

Science is NOOOOOOTTTT 'my opinion'. Science isn't 'a value' system you can 'choose to believe in or not' if you think it is - I invite you to go jump off a very tall building and challenge gravity. Furthermore, I invite you to smoke 1,000 cigarettes a day and see if you don't contract some form of cancer.

You can't choose to believe in reality or not. Science isn't just 'one of' many systems that explains what's around us, like there's many to choose from. Science is the ONLY thing in history that has successfully explained reality. Period.

Science doesn't assert things on subjective guesses or wishful thinking. There are many debates within science but the things we assert as fact or know as reality are backed up with mountains of observable evidence, evidence we can comprehend with our senses and explain through pure logic.

Religion doesn't do that. Religion makes impossible claims and then never backs them up in any way shape or form. Religion makes claims, asserts they're true 'because they just are' and says it's offensive to question that they are. That, is blind faith and bigotry.

See how they're COMPLETELY fucking different? not at all like. Don't dare compare them or try and say they're of the same realm of 'value systems' and on equal planes. One of them is blind and nonsensical, illogical and lacking of any conceivable basis other than wishful thinking, and the other (science) basis itself on absolute reality and provable evidence. And nothing else

momentsgolden wrote:Depending on which value system you choose to believe. Do i really have to go into this...? Fuck it, i will. MANY people have had the privilege of going through a multi cultured system of learning simultaneously (admittedly with varying levels of equality in principle) the merits and demerits of Religion, Science and Morality. Point is, YOUR stress is different from mine. Yours is HOW was i here. Mine is WHY am I here. The two CAN be answered by incorporating science's assertions with religious grounding for example
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic_C ... _evolution. Science has not, at least up until now, given me a satisfactory reason for my existence. Care to suggest? If you cant, its apparent that because of the difference in needs of people, its NECESSARY to have religion.

It is NOT necessary to have religion to answer 'why' we are here.

Philosophy does and always has done that job. Philosophy is an off-shoot of science, a science of the mind, that once again founds itself on many strains of logic and abstract reasoning. Religion doesn't do that, religion founds itself on the basis of a ruling dictator that you must blindly worship, believe in and follow without question.

As for asking 'why' we are here anyway, that is a ridiculous question. You just want some grand answer and somebody to hold your hand through life.

There is no 'why'. We are apes with big brains. The only reason humans can even ask 'why' is because we've evolved big enough brains to have consciousness of our own existence and can therefore ask the question. But that doesn't mean it has an answer, or is a sensible question to ask.

In context, it makes no sense. Because it 'assumes' automatically that there is a life plan for humans. Which is utterly arrogant - as it places humans on a pedestal as if the Universe is THAT concerned with our one fucking species which isn't even vital to the fucking food chain and all we do is destroy our planet and other species anyway.

We're here because we happened to evolve. Our only true reason, logical reason to be here is to reproduce. That's the only 'reason' for any species to be here. We wouldn't be here if we weren't good at that. There is no 'will' or final conclusion to evolution, we're here because we happen to have been naturally selected and shaped, and survived. That's it.

There's no fucking grand mystery. If you're asking the meaning of life - YOU MAKE IT.

You can choose your own meaning of life. If you love to write, you can make the reason 'why' you are here - to write. Or make it one of the reasons. But logically speaking, the only reason we are here is to mate and pass on our genes. That's the only reason all animals are here but unfortunately you probably don't like that answer and wish to think of humans and yourself as special and so turn to religion for some kind of pat on the back for existing.

When ironically, religion not only doesn't do that, it degrades humans. It turns humans into nothing more than blindly worshiping mental slaves that should be thankful to be a piece of dirt on their dictator's shoe and grateful to even breath his air. And if you're not thankful enough you burn in eternal hell. Yes, what utter beauty.

Clearly you just don't like the fact you're going to die and then there's nothing and that's why you 'believe in god' because it gives you a free pass and says you'll live forever. If it didn't offer you that, you'd almost certainly stop believing all together. So don't talk such a crock of shit and say it's because you want to know why you are here, which is an illogical question anyway and it's like asking "why is mountain?"'. Just because you can ask a question doesn't make it meaningful, or sensible.

Religion has hijacked any of its good views or morals from philosophy and if you seriously wish to explore what you would call 'your soul' or ask the sorts of questions you're implying you are interested in, philosophy has and continues to ask all those questions in extremely interesting and profound ways. Where as religion is at a stand still and holds the same bigoted, childish positions it always has.

Science is always progressing, philosophy is always progressing. Religion is at a standstill.

momentsgolden wrote:i am well versed in Christianity (with the catholic church accounting for 1 billion of the world's population and being used as a "standard for Christianity), Buddism, and Islam. NONE, base NONE of these advocate racism.Of Islam, only 20% live in the Arab world and if you, by any chance, had read the news of Arab uprisings, its got NOTHING to do with MAINLINE OFFICIAL religion. Its about extremists (MINORITY groups) and dictators. Something science cant absolve itself off.

If you think Christianity does not advocate slavery within its texts you do not know your 'holy book' very well. You can pretty much find justification for ANY form of behaviour in The Bible which is why people pick and choose what they believe and all have different interpretations of it and why it's irrational and leads people to ridiculous behaviour.

I'm not saying your local priest tells you to be racist, but yes in The Bible there is justification for sexism, slavery, sacrifice and other disgusting ideas.

Something science can't absolve 'itself' of? what do you mean. Absolve 'itself' of what?

Are you saying science is responsible for dictators? religion is responsible for genocide, total ignorance and extremist fools. DIRECTLY responsible, because holy books justify their behaviour. They're not making it up.

Where as science doesn't advocate any kind of behaviour. Science doesn't tell you how to live your life. If somebody takes it upon themselves to use science for evil that's the individual but science is blind and unbiased. It doesn't tell you anything other than hard facts about reality.

Where as religions all dictate moral standards and tell you how to think and give you 'guidelines' of life and many things which are perverted and evil by themselves. And lead to extremism by the very fact they are circular and irrational. Science does not do that.

momentsgolden wrote:No, religion serves a DIFFERENT purpose than Science. In the same way that Education and Health are complementary, Religion (or spirituality ) excel in their disciplines.

How you may ask? Morals dummy. Any rational thinking man can tell you Anarchy, disdain for Human life, lack of purpose, despair, ambition and "basic" codes of ethics are as essential to human life and existence as a television is. All those are non-scientific. They are intuitive. Intuitive meaning, NATURALLY... honed and coded by Religion. In the same way things happen in the Universe NATURALLY honed, coded and used by science.

LMFAO. Morals? no chance.

Religion is the least moral thing possibly imaginable. Within the texts of religion you can find justification for stoning, beating, cheating, slavery, sacrifice, scapegoating, and pretty much every immoral action or thought you may choose to name.

Any 'decent' morals religion upholds or contains have been lifted from philosophy.

Basic morals such as the golden rule aka 'treat others as you would like to be treated' is NOT, I repeat NOT owned by religion. It wasn't originated by religion, it hasn't been 'honed' or 'coded' by religion.That basic rule is LOGICAL.

Ie. if you wish for somebody to treat you kindly, it is LOGICAL that you would need to treat them kindly to expect the same back. That's not religious, that's fucking logical. Any moral you may choose to throw at me, any good moral - was originated long before your shitty religion even came about. Your religion has hijacked its views from philosophy and other religions you totally ignorant ass.

Morality is innate and intuitive - you are correct there. And that's exactly why they do not come from or are not originated or owned by religion. If we did not have basic morality coded into us, coded into our DNA from social behaviour and evolution - we wouldn't of gotten as far as we have.

Morality existed PRIOR to religion, else we all would of killed each other off. Unity is a human trait based on empathy and empathy is based on social conditioning and consciousness. None of these things are religious in any way shape or form.

And if you think your morals 'come' from religion, how do you suppose you're able to disregard SOME of the things in The Bible and not others? how do you suppose you would be able to read a line in The Bible advocating rape or sexism and go "I don't agree with that". Because you KNOW it's wrong. If your morals CAME from religion, then you'd be unable to disagree with it.

Religion was created by man. And any morals within it, come from man. Morality exists with or without religion and religion only perverts morals.

Morality is a combination of genetic conditioning, empathy, social evolution and the ever-changing moral zeitgeist which changes the further we move along. Religion doesn't progress, but our morals do. Hence why much of religious' texts, ideas and so called 'morals' are outdated and offensive. The morals we hold today are through our psychological and social evolution, through discussion and debate, through questioning and REASON (what science is based on). NOT religion.
Last edited by EminemBase on Jun 18th, '11, 01:11, edited 1 time in total.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Re: Response to momentsgolden (on Religion)

Postby momentsgolden » Jun 18th, '11, 00:34

Menzo wrote:Just...I hate to see that effort go to waste because sadly, I don't see anyone reading all that. :n: Unless they're serious about debating.

I scrolled down but havent managed to read through and or formulate a proper reply. I'm quite serious about Debate- its good practice for my National Trials coming up in a couple weeks Time.

@Eminembase, sorry bro, its 2 in the morning and i'm tired. Expect a reply shortly. (Unless Dr3 hates and locks this :shifty: )
Songs of the year

Tech N9ne- Gods, Ft Krizz Kaliko and Kutt Calhoun.
momentsgolden
Soldier
Soldier

Postby dR3 » Jun 18th, '11, 00:38

Why would I lock it? It's a properly set-up debate in a proper thread in the right section.

Just try not to insult each-other lol. :coffee:
^Thanks Maybe.
Spyder wrote:The silent king of spam.

Killa wrote:Me & dR3 represent the future bitch!!!

Killa wrote:dR3 stay winning...
dR3
Django
Django

Postby EminemBase » Jun 18th, '11, 01:06

Menzo wrote:I enjoy your passion towards debunking religion, although I disagree with everything you have against it, I still respect the fact that you can propose arguments intelligently and with concise details.

Just...I hate to see that effort go to waste because sadly, I don't see anyone reading all that. :n: Unless they're serious about debating.

No problem man. I don't care if you disagree, debating can be highly stimulating and I don't dislike you just because we're on a different side so to speak.

I can just get quite intense and I care very much about the truth.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Postby EminemBase » Jun 18th, '11, 01:08

momentsgolden wrote:
Menzo wrote:Just...I hate to see that effort go to waste because sadly, I don't see anyone reading all that. :n: Unless they're serious about debating.

I scrolled down but havent managed to read through and or formulate a proper reply. I'm quite serious about Debate- its good practice for my National Trials coming up in a couple weeks Time.

@Eminembase, sorry bro, its 2 in the morning and i'm tired. Expect a reply shortly. (Unless Dr3 hates and locks this :shifty: )

No problem, take as long as you want to reply.

Sorry about some of the insults in my reply (edited them out now), I just get very annoyed and passionate lmao. But, let's maybe just not insult each other AT ALL or even call each other anything on a personal level.

Let's just address information on a totally factual and reasonable level.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Postby EminemBase » Jun 18th, '11, 04:27

Menzo wrote:I used to be the same way man lol I used to get very very very passionate about religious debates and shit a few years ago. Hell, I knew the Bible like the back of my hand just so I had enough knowledge to draw out when needed in an attempt to win a debate.

But I realized at the end that no matter what, views don't falter and I never ended up leaving a debate feeling like I won anything cuz I wasted so much of my time lmao But I love debates like this, as long as they're clean :flutter:

I expect an awesome debate to come from this.

Well I was the same.

I knew a guy (38), and we used to debate religion and politics and science for like, literally... 24 hours at a time. Just sit in a kitchen drinking and taking codeine, getting high and non-stop debating. Which is partly why I'm better at arguing than the average person, as I've had a lot of 'training' so to speak lmao.

I thought I was totally done with religious debates but people's reaction to a silly comment I made in a thread annoyed me so much - that here I am again. :smoking:
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Postby VenomBlackViper » Jun 18th, '11, 04:37

Why not just PM each other? :shifty:
VenomBlackViper
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby EminemBase » Jun 18th, '11, 05:01

VenomBlackViper wrote:Why not just PM each other? :shifty:

Because then other people can't get involved. So it's not as fun. :shifty:
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Postby momentsgolden » Jun 18th, '11, 15:02

Alot of examples will be used in the following post. I admit, its my favourite way of Debating. In the interests of Debating the principle could we avoid detracting from the debate and focusing on ill-thought examples or semantics. Feel free however, to point out ares of disagreement.

EminemBase wrote:Now, it is a FACT that the laws of science are RIGHT.

If they were not:
- cars would not run.
- computers would not work.
- calculators would not work.

Almost no technology you see around you using electricity or elements of mathematics or science would function properly or perform its tasks, if the laws of science were wrong. So we KNOW that science is correct. Science confirms itself through example.

The biggest problem i got with this section is that "science" is lumped up like one big ball like saying "people" Its large, its ambiguous. Science is real and it truly explains (to the best of the current knowledge) what we see around us. But its only when it interferes with Religion that we begin to resist it as the Truth. Case in point "There are no spiritual healings of physical illnesses" as an example were DEBATE can be invoked as there is no irrefutable evidence to the contrary. In short, not ALL science is true.
SO, for there to be a god, these laws would all need to be incorrect (which we know they aren't) for the kind of god you mean to exist. And we know that they aren't. So yes we do know that there is no god, based on our reality. It's impossible.

I think there is a problem here which is alot of people's misconceptions. God created the Universe, and set the laws of it into place. Science did not CREATE laws. It interprets the reality and formulates equations formulae and theories. On the other hand, Religion says God CREATES these laws. Perfect example is weather forecasts. Science looks at cloud patterns, past events and forms a ball of information to predict what will happen. Religion, on the other hand, says God MAKES it rain. It doesnt have to be supernatural to be real.

So also please stop pretending they have nothing to do with one another. Religion asserts that it knows how we were created and that there is a god in the Universe. That ISSSSSSS a scientific question that is either true / or not true. You can't pretend it's outside of science because it's not.
Yes, this is the hottest point of contention. just to be clear, the 7 day story in Genesis is A STORY and should be treated as such

If you wish to believe there is, in spite of clear logic that's your choice. But you cannot say there is 'enough rationality' to support either side as there is ZERO, ziltch, NADA rationality to support the idea of a personal god. The idea of an impersonal god which is more like an unconscious mega-center of the Universe is more plausible - still almost certainly not true but can glimmer the smallest inch of respect, enough so to allow itself a place in the conversation
Fine, we'll go with this approach.

But the god you are asserting has 'enough rationality ' aka a personal god that answers your prayers, concerns itself in human affairs, chooses sides in wars and is basically a giant human being to comfort you is ABSURD. And no, there is no no no, none, zero, no rationality to support that idea. None at all. Please - share with me an ounce of 'rationality' to support it, as I've never heard a single rational argument for the idea in my life and I grew up in a Roman Catholic primary school and high school. So don't think I'm ill-informed.
In Other words "Please show me that the text you use to derive such conclusions is reliable. I've always known i gotta make an attempt to give credence to the bible but my investigative knowledge is juvenile and the internet is rife with criticisms of the Text and very little to no extensive writings to its defense. Therefore, i concede defeat- God is not personal.

Rationality is based on science. Rationality is science. Rationality is the exercise of reason and reason is logic. Logic and reason concerns ideas that you can put forward and then prove with evidence. Evidence that can be recorded and executed through experiment and seen with the human eyes.
Wikipedia definition goes:--->The natural sciences are the branches of science which seek to elucidate the rules that govern the natural world by using an empirical and scientific method to the study of the universe. The term natural sciences are used to distinguish it from the
---->social sciences, which use the scientific method to study human behavior and social patterns

Its quite bullish of "science" defenders to try and lump all science as their ammunition and leave us defenseless. Social sciences have managed to create laws and principles that interpret human behaviour based solely on Human behaviour. Human behaviour being heavily influenced by Religion over the years means Social sciences are do not have the same kind of "evidence" that Natural sciences does. In this field of study a person's oral tradition is evidence enough something foreign to Natural Sciences. basically, yes, Religion IS based on science. A Social science of people's rationality and thought processes rather than an analysis of the Universe.
There is no evidence for any god, there is no rational argument or reasoned arguments even for any god. So no, there is absolutely no rationality for your side. None at all. Believe what you like but please do not try and sneak your silly idea into science as if it deserves respect in that realm. As it doesn't and never has.
You got that wrong. The "is there a God Debate" has raged for years and is widely acceptable in Philosophical circles- a Social Science. Please, read the following LONG debate for all the pros and cons. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Existence_of_God

Personally, the only one i can give publicly is the first Law of Thermodynamics. Science asserts energy cannot be created or destroyed but can only be converted from one form to another. Its a closed system. But, we have matter and we have energy. Now, the three possibilities occour-
1- Either everything has been in being for perpetuity. Something trumped by the big Bang
2- The Law of Thermodynamics is selective because at some point matter was CREATED. This cant be true.
3- At some point, a higher being. Supreme power, violated this law and CREATED time, matter, anti-matter and anything else in the world today. This power is God.
Will it be enough to convince you? Probably not, but its a scientifically plausable explanation for there being a God.

- humans can climb inside themselves.
Not sure what this meas but if it is about meditation and my ability to think at a higher level - yes, i do believe it.
- I can turn invisible with concentration.
No, i dont believe so.
- I can mind read.
Yes. the ability of minds to communicate is a widely accepted as plausible under the name Telepathy.
- I can lift up a house above my head.
- I can run faster than a 747 jet plane.
- I can jump 2,000 ft in the air.
- I could jump out of a plane at 40,000 feet, land on a bed of spikes and survive.
- I could have my head chopped off and then perform maths equations.
- I could grab a bullet in mid-air.
Extraordinary human beings occur everyday. People with exceptional power, exceptional speed, exceptional reasoning. There are savants in language, geniuses in Science, Guru's in martial arts and greats in Music. What the human mind and body can do has consistently been redefined but to answer your question- no, i dont think all those things are possible. One thing you'll find hard to believe but true is that people can float in the air- against gavity! Its called levitation. So, to answer your first question- yes, i have an open mind to other extra-ordinary phenomena.

And on and on and on. And no, please do not pretend I'm being over-the-top or making unfair comparisons. As the idea of a personal god is more impossible and unprovable than all these ideas PUT TOGETHER. So, I would 'assume', though I'm still asking - that you would consider all or most of those absolutely impossible and would say it's ridiculous to say they're true or achievable?
I do believe that God IS personal and that he answers my prayers and i am on this earth for a purpose. However, before i can prove the legitimacy of the Bible i cannot "prove" this to you.

I would hope so. Otherwise I'd seriously consider checking yourself in to a mental hospital.
My title in social circles is "Lil bit sicker than most.." lmao. Yes Base, yes, i am a bit physco. lol

has ANY rational basis, or enough to be respected or in the same circles, or next to - science.
Just shown

You don't make the exception for all ridiculous ideas, you just make the exception for the one you happen to believe in and you only happen to believe in it because you happened to have been born where you were, into the family you were and happen to have been brought up on that religion. If you were brought up in a different country with a different family, you'd believe something else. Which shows how facile and variable, and pointless all religion is.
This is a personal question or accusation (not in a bad way admittedly) so i shall take it as such and respond in Kind. I would believe differently were i born in a different region (hopefully being Buddhist :flutter: ) but i have personally WITNESSED an exorcism. I have seen demon possessed people. My own uncle would go in a trance and speak while possessed by a good spirit. Its something that 95% of the planet has unfortunately have not witnessed but it certainly made my belief unshakable. Unfortunately, the "spiritual beings" simply clarified one or two things to people who were already religious so speaking to atheists is a relatively new experience.

unfounded- The Bible
ridiculous- this is a relative term. If the majority believe it, its not "ridiculous"
unscientific- See the Thermodynamic explanation above
illogical- It defines purpose, and truly fills in voids (admittedly only temporarily) that science has not yet discovered. But like the molecule example i gave yesterday, what is true is true UNTIL proven otherwise
not true- Nor false. Its simply contentious
not my opinion- It is your belief then, unfortunately shared by an increasing number of atheists. (See definition of the term)
reality- one of my favourite quotes is "the absence of evidence, is not the evidence of absence." No, its not reality. being Christian i'll say its your FALSE reality

Never mind the 'morals' or ideas, or history of religion itself. And for you to assert that religion and in particular Catholicism - which is responsible for mass-genocide and utter ignorance deserves as much respect as something that strives for truth and progression and holds unbiased
, I live in a country were the church has vehemently opposed lies, oppression and injustice. I went to a Catholic school (something thousands of young adults undergo) which ENCOURAGED free thinking and truth. YOU should know too as you were raised in a similar environment. The gospel of compassion and love and equality between races and ethnic groups and indeed EVERYONE is CENTRAL to Catholicism a "higher" moral standard than "love those who love you" mentality in circualr circles. Its a baseless accusation.

Science is the ONLY thing in history that has successfully explained reality. Period.
Religion explored WHY things happen, not HOW. It is not the only one and that is where the opposition to CERTAIN scientific principles comes in.

Science doesn't assert things on subjective guesses or wishful thinking. There are many debates within science but the things we assert as fact or know as reality are backed up with mountains of observable evidence, evidence we can comprehend with our senses and explain through pure logic.
Like you said, its not accepted as FACT by the WHOLE scientific community that there is no God. Who has opposed the principle of Gravity recently? No one with standing. But Religious debates rage rampant because its clear- ITS CONTENTIOUS. There is no unified front that says God does not exist. THAT is the reality.
Religion doesn't do that. Religion makes impossible claims and then never backs them up in any way shape or form. Religion makes claims, asserts they're true 'because they just are' and says it's offensive to question that they are. That, is blind faith and bigotry.
It used to, and i am ashamed that the church has done such atrocities. But, the NEW world religion, the one currently practiced by many men around the world has made a conscious effort to "back up" what they said. Admittedly, it assumed the Bible as an AXIOM of truth but Bible archaeology was started with that very option in mind- to PROVE the legitimacy of the base argument.

See how they're COMPLETELY fucking different? not at all like.
exactly. So why then do you continue and say
One of them is blind and nonsensical, illogical and lacking of any conceivable basis other than wishful thinking, and the other (science) basis itself on absolute reality and provable evidence. And nothing else
When some of the scientific, no, ATHEISTIC propositions are blind to counter-evidence, and wishfully think the world "just" came to being man has no "purpose" heaven knows what else.

It is NOT necessary to have religion to answer 'why' we are here.

Philosophy does and always has done that job. Philosophy is an off-shoot of science, a science of the mind, that once again founds itself on many strains of logic and abstract reasoning. Religion doesn't do that, religion founds itself on the basis of a ruling dictator that you must blindly worship, believe in and follow without question.
Is it so? Your whole view of religion is so biased its unbelievable. The "God is a dictator" statement you made yesterday, i dealt with it and you provided no COUNTER rebuttal. Its Karma, action reaction, Thermodynamics, cause effect.... scientific, philosophical terms that describe the world. So, why should religion be castigated for advocating that there is a consequence of action?

But that doesn't mean it has an answer, or is a sensible question to ask.
Bullshit. Its a sensible question to ask, consistently asked for Thousands of years and will continue to do so. Could you, in an abstract way, show my WHY its not sensible? I cant show you WHY it is, in an abstract way at least, but relative to the people who have asked it and need answers it is SIGNIFICANT and should and is answered.
We're here because we happened to evolve. Our only true reason, logical reason to be here is to reproduce. That's the only 'reason' for any species to be here. That's it.
Does that not ring empty? Is it not hollow and unfulfilling? Well, LOTS of us do find that reason so and use alternative reasonable reasoning to satisfy our desire for it.

It turns humans into nothing more than blindly worshiping mental slaves that should be thankful to be a piece of dirt on their dictator's shoe and grateful to even breath his air. And if you're not thankful enough you burn in eternal hell. Yes, what utter beauty.
Turns out that someone doesnt appreciate being born. Do you thank your mom, or appreciate her for doing so? No, my point isnt to say you do or you dont, but it is commonly accepted as "beautiful" a SUBJECTIVE term, that people generally appreciate their parents for their very existence. So, if i appreciate God for mine, why should i not believe i'm special.

]No, i ask that question because its satisfying to know the answer. In the same way that Debating this argument has lost me countless hours of sleep and marks in my exams and in NO WAY have i or will i gain anything material i engage it simply for an abstact sense of gratification in exploring my mind state and surroundings.

Religion has hijacked any of its good views or morals from philosophy and if you seriously wish to explore what you would call 'your soul' or ask the sorts of questions you're implying you are interested in, philosophy has and continues to ask all those questions in extremely interesting and profound ways. Where as religion is at a stand still and holds the same bigoted, childish positions it always has.
Philosophy has hijacked them from religion. It openly confesses to ANALYZING human behaviour and thought processes and then USE those to formulate answers to questions. and human behaviour is "corrupted" as you would put it, by Religion so philosophy USES religion indirectly.

Science is always progressing, philosophy is always progressing. Religion is at a standstill

What you fail to realise is that all three have a BASE. An AXIOM. A STARTING POINT. For science it could be somthing as simple as that there are Natural numbers 1, 2, 3, 4. For Philosophy that "I am because i am" for religion it is "There is a God" those axioms have never and will never change. ACROSS the board. but interpretions change with time. that is why Pentecostal churches Broke of From the catholic Church. That is why there is a "New Religion Movement" This is why Buddists do not teach what enlightment is but leave it for an experience in a particular context or time period. This is why there is the Vatican II- a REVISION and REEVALUATION by the catholic church and its relations with the modern world. The fact I am religious yet openly participating in religious debate is a far cry from the Middle ages. Religion is , albeit slowly, dynamic and progressive.

If you think Christianity does not advocate slavery within its texts you do not know your 'holy book' very well. You can pretty much find justification for ANY form of behaviour in The Bible which is why people pick and choose what they believe and all have different interpretations of it and why it's irrational and leads people to ridiculous behaviour.I'm not saying your local priest tells you to be racist, but yes in The Bible there is justification for sexism, slavery, sacrifice and other disgusting ideas
Like you said, Religion is an interpretation of the Bible or other spiritual texts and that ANYONE can interpret them as and when they please. Yet, you attack it in a broader sense when the MAINLINE official religious positions have OPPOSED slavery and oppression. YOU said lets use the WIDER CONTEXT and now YOU want to interpret the holy text? Its inconsistent reasoning. because if it was about personal interpretation you would have asked me what i believe first and THEN criticise it. Because you did not, we take the OFFICIAL stance of over 3 billion religious people on earth and all have morals which are generally accepted to be upright.

Are you saying science is responsible for dictators? religion is responsible for genocide, total ignorance and extremist fools. DIRECTLY responsible, because holy books justify their behaviour. They're not making it up.

Where as science doesn't advocate any kind of behaviour. Science doesn't tell you how to live your life. If somebody takes it upon themselves to use science for evil that's the individual but science is blind and unbiased. It doesn't tell you anything other than hard facts about reality.
Many people have been murdered IN THE NAME of SCIENCE. Simple as that. Biggest case in point is Hitler in germany, one of the worst DICTATORS of all time and a mass murderer openly saying SCIENCE has shown that JEWS are an INFERIOR race. Its bad and deplorable but doent not detract Science as a legitimate source of information. In the same vein, the fact that people have used religion wrongly does not render it less useful.

Where as religions all dictate moral standards and tell you how to think and give you 'guidelines' of life and many things which are perverted and evil by themselves. And lead to extremism by the very fact they are circular and irrational. Science does not do that.
Science does not lead to extremism? You for real? What i can now conclude is that the virtue of being self aware is devoid in scientific circles if you are any indication. Religion openly admits to failings and tries to work past them. Wars with Islam for instance. It then acts to rectify and reconcile the bad sommitted.

LMFAO. Morals? no chance.

Religion is the least moral thing possibly imaginable. Within the texts of religion you can find justification for stoning, beating, cheating, slavery, sacrifice, scapegoating, and pretty much every immoral action or thought you may choose to name.

Any 'decent' morals religion upholds or contains have been lifted from philosophy.
See above.

Basic morals such as the golden rule aka 'treat others as you would like to be treated' is NOT, I repeat NOT owned by religion. It wasn't originated by religion, it hasn't been 'honed' or 'coded' by religion.That basic rule is LOGICAL.

However, the assertion that if someone slaps you on one cheeck TURN THE OTHER is NOT logical. The asertion to love those who hate you is NOT logical. The encouagement to help others expecting NOTHING in return is NOT logical. Logic says human should act in self-interest. Religion preaches humans act in the social interest. Thats the CURRENT difference. No, i will not act like Morals are SOLELY from religion in the same way you act like they are SOLELY from logic and philosophy.

Morality existed PRIOR to religion, else we all would of killed each other off. Unity is a human trait based on empathy and empathy is based on social conditioning and consciousness. None of these things are religious in any way shape or form.
They are INTERPRETED by religion by the classic example of the Ten Commandments. Religion is putting these "embedded ethics" into words and form while tailoring it with its wider context of Belief in God. In the same way science did not CREATE gravity but simply words and theorizes. What difference am i missing?

And if you think your morals 'come' from religion, how do you suppose you're able to disregard SOME of the things in The Bible and not others? how do you suppose you would be able to read a line in The Bible advocating rape or sexism and go "I don't agree with that". Because you KNOW it's wrong. If your morals CAME from religion, then you'd be unable to disagree with it.
because the bible is CONTRADICTORY. There is NO WAY rape is consistent with love. That is why it requires INTERPRETATION because its truly, in every sense imaginable, IMPOSSIBLE to take it at face value. Its inconsistent.

Hence why much of religious' texts, ideas and so called 'morals' are outdated and offensive. The morals we hold today are through our psychological and social evolution, through discussion and debate, through questioning and REASON...
... In a religious context.
Songs of the year

momentsgolden
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Guess_Who » Jun 20th, '11, 14:20

you can discuss religion 5 years and you will never agree...
is the oldest discussion of mankind.
In the land of the killers, a sinner's mind is a sanctum.

Guess_Who
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby momentsgolden » Jun 20th, '11, 15:53

Menzo wrote:She's right, but look how awesome this is turning out :flutter:

Unless if he doesnt reply. :coffee:
Songs of the year

momentsgolden
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Guess_Who » Jun 20th, '11, 16:12

I'm spamming a lot :wave:
In the land of the killers, a sinner's mind is a sanctum.

Guess_Who
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Fleka » Jun 20th, '11, 16:40

Guess_Who wrote:I'm spamming a lot :wave:

yes, you are.
Fleka
Role Model
Role Model

Postby WakeUpShow » Jun 22nd, '11, 04:38

lol, I stopped reading when you said that computers and cars wouldn't work if god existed. Real bulletproof logic Einstein.
WakeUpShow
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Willy » Jun 22nd, '11, 06:12

Cosh wrote:lol, I stopped reading when you said that computers and cars wouldn't work if god existed. Real bulletproof logic Einstein.

Come on you didn't even capitalize your man upstairs. Motherfucker.

Fuck Willou
Willy
Soldier
Soldier

Next

Return to Serious Debate