The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Response to EminemBase (on Science)

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Re: Response to EminemBase (on Science)

Postby classthe_king » Aug 10th, '11, 20:44

Cosh wrote:
classthe_king wrote:
Cosh wrote:Did anyone watch "Curiosity" with Stephen Hawking tonight? it was a special about whether God created the Earth or not. He said no because there was no time before the universe. I call bullshit. If there was time for the then molecule-sized universe, there was time for a God.

That's not what he said at all.

yes, in a nut shell it is. He said time didn't start until the big bang, because the mass of the molecule sized universe created basically an enormous black hole, which time freezes inside of. So I say, if there was no time for a God to exist, why was there time for the molecule which we now call the universe.

No, you don't understand what he's saying

"The quantum theory of gravity has opened up a new possibility, in which there would be no boundary to space-time and so there would be no need to specify the behavior at the boundary. There would be no singularities at which the laws of science broke down and no edge of space-time at which one would have to appeal to God or some new law to set the boundary conditions for space-time. One could say: 'The boundary condition of the universe is that it has no boundary.' The universe would be completely self-contained and not affected by anything outside itself. It would neither be created nor destroyed. It would just BE. What I have done is to show that it is possible for the way the universe began to be determined by the laws of science. In that case, it would not be necessary to appeal to God to decide how the universe began. This doesn't prove that there is no God, only that God is not necessary."
You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby WakeUpShow » Aug 11th, '11, 05:10

ok...very well haha. But I know for a fact he said something along the lines of "God didn't create the universe, because there was no time for God to exist."
WakeUpShow
Role Model
Role Model

Postby classthe_king » Aug 12th, '11, 00:28

Honestly it's way to hard to understand and I'm not even going to try and explain it but he meant that real time didn't exist before the big bang but imaginary time did....
You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby GenePeer » Aug 12th, '11, 11:47

This is how I understand it:

The universe is now expanding. However, if the gravitational pull among the galaxies is strong enough, it will stop the expansion and the galaxies will start accelerating towards each other. At a very distant future, the whole universe will have collapsed to a singularity. What happens next? Who knows, after an unknown amount of "time", a big-bang could happen and a new universe could be born. Say the universe, develops just like this one and new human beings are born. There's absolutely no way for them to tell what happened before the singularity as all information was lost in it. There is also no way of telling how long it took for the singularity to turn into the big bang. Anything that happens in this universe will not affect their universe and since time is only useful in comparing events, their science will not care for "the time before the big bang" and similarly, our science doesn't care for what "happened before the big bang".
GenePeer
Soldier
Soldier

Previous

Return to Serious Debate