The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

How big is the universe?

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

How big is the universe?

Postby the real slim shady » May 16th, '12, 15:59

the real slim shady
Renegade
Renegade

Re: How big is the unverse?

Postby the real slim shady » May 16th, '12, 20:43

Menzo wrote:I'm so insignificant...

yes you are
the real slim shady
Renegade
Renegade

Postby Eedee » May 18th, '12, 03:27

It's shit like this that really drops my jaw when people look at this and actually have the fucking audacity to claim an all-powerful being made ALL THIS... just for them.
mdemaz wrote:dam
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby DanWS » May 18th, '12, 10:58

What's crazy is that's just what we SEE. The Universe could be infinitely huge, and what's more, it could just be part of a cell that makes up a whole other older, larger universe. We literally have NO idea. It's amazing.

Props on this site by the way, it's cool.
TRshady wrote:The server is indeed unaware of the greatness that is DanWS.
DanWS
Role Model
Role Model

Postby TripleNineThree » May 18th, '12, 15:50

Eedee wrote:It's shit like this that really drops my jaw when people look at this and actually have the fucking audacity to claim an all-powerful being made ALL THIS... just for them.

This universe is amazing.. Blows my mind, I saw an illustration the other day, it was a pretty interesting diagram comparing different sizes of things; I'm not sure which site it was on or else I would post it.

I don't want to turn this into a religion debate but @Eedee, from a Christian perspective the Bible says that the universe displays the Glory of God so the fact that we can't comprehend the size of the universe, we also can't comprehend the glory of God.. just my 2 cents from a theist perspective
TripleNineThree
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EminemBase » May 18th, '12, 21:55

Bigger than Jebus.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Postby Eedee » May 18th, '12, 23:21

@TripleNine - I don't wanna argue either, but if that's how you see it, go for it. More power to you :)

@Menzo - It didn't happen randomly per se, it was a product of the laws of physics and shaped by gravity, etc. It all just didn't randomly form.
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby Amaranthine » May 19th, '12, 01:36

I'm probably the only person on the planet who doesn't care about space. At all. I don't understand why people are so obsessed with finding other planets, wondering if there's life somewhere other than Earth, wanting to find a planet we could live on, etc. I don't understand what's so fascinating about it.
You should read this.
I break my back to give you my art, you steal my thoughts
It's like driving a spike through my heart

Geno wrote:I don't wanna have a kid with Zabe tbh.
Amaranthine
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Amaranthine » May 19th, '12, 01:53

Menzo wrote:
Amaranthine wrote:I'm probably the only person on the planet who doesn't care about space. At all. I don't understand why people are so obsessed with finding other planets, wondering if there's life somewhere other than Earth, wanting to find a planet we could live on, etc. I don't understand what's so fascinating about it.

Must be a female thing :console: Having to imagine THAT much space outside the kitchen, it must be tiring. :flower:

:tounge2:
You should read this.
I break my back to give you my art, you steal my thoughts
It's like driving a spike through my heart

Geno wrote:I don't wanna have a kid with Zabe tbh.
Amaranthine
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Eedee » May 19th, '12, 02:10

Menzo wrote:
Eedee wrote:@Menzo - It didn't happen randomly per se, it was a product of the laws of physics and shaped by gravity, etc. It all just didn't randomly form.

In essence, fortuitously? Lol, I don't wanna start a debate over this, let's just appreciate the universe for it's unfathomably beauty and complexity.

I really wish there were more television programs focused on illustrating the wonders of the galactic world, it's so much more mystifying than Earth.

At least we agree on that. :y:
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby Eedee » May 19th, '12, 02:13

Amaranthine wrote:I'm probably the only person on the planet who doesn't care about space. At all. I don't understand why people are so obsessed with finding other planets, wondering if there's life somewhere other than Earth, wanting to find a planet we could live on, etc. I don't understand what's so fascinating about it.

I'd like to think it's an innate sense of wonder, because after all we ARE star stuff... the Universe come to wonder about itself.

For me, I began my lust for the Universe around age 8, when I picked up a book on Pluto. Loved everything about space ever since. I plan to become an astronomer hopefully and pursue the wonders of the Cosmos... But that's just me. To each his (her, in this case) own I guess. :)
Last edited by Eedee on May 19th, '12, 02:15, edited 1 time in total.
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby Eedee » May 19th, '12, 02:17

Menzo wrote:I considered astronomy when I was younger, but I think it required physics and whatnot and I just can't compute that very well. Ah well, I can still adore it.

Yeah it'll involve a bunch of math (something which I like but am not very good at). So if my career as a rapper doesn't pan out, I guess I'll have to start studying math hard. :p
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby ShAdYTiLIDie » May 19th, '12, 02:26

I'm actually in astronomy and I think its something like 100000 light years but I'm not sure, sometimes I wish I pay attention in that class because some of the stuff is pretty interesting!
"Shady said it Shady meant it, I stay demented, Ill throw a stroller at you, with a baby in it"
ShAdYTiLIDie
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Eedee » May 19th, '12, 02:35

ShAdYTiLIDie wrote:I'm actually in astronomy and I think its something like 100000 light years but I'm not sure, sometimes I wish I pay attention in that class because some of the stuff is pretty interesting!

The observable Universe is around 13.7 billion light years across. 100k won't even get you to Andromeda. 100k is about as big as our Milky Way.
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby the real slim shady » May 19th, '12, 08:56

well it makes us seem so small and insignificant.... i mean, we are a bunch of carbon based life forms on a small rock flying around a small star that is drifting through space, yet somehow we have managed to get our lives to the stages they are at now. All things like money, computers, cars... how did we get to this considering how insignificant we are?
to me, its mind blowing... to the level that i cant really explain it properly :p

Eedee wrote:
ShAdYTiLIDie wrote:I'm actually in astronomy and I think its something like 100000 light years but I'm not sure, sometimes I wish I pay attention in that class because some of the stuff is pretty interesting!

The observable Universe is around 13.7 billion light years across. 100k won't even get you to Andromeda. 100k is about as big as our Milky Way.

mhm

ive always taken an interest in this stuff, black holes, super black holes, supernovas, dark matter... i just find it fascinating tbh.
the real slim shady
Renegade
Renegade

Next

Return to Serious Debate