The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Freewill debate.

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Re: Freewill debate.

Postby CrashBand » Dec 3rd, '12, 05:51

Eedee wrote:I'm trying to wrap my brain around it...

But what was the first chemical reaction in our brains to start this chain-reaction of reactions, and where did that come from? All we're doing is back-stepping to a previous reaction as to say there's no free will but then there had to be a first one.

Sounds a bit like the typical religious argument, "who created the big bang?" shtick, but doesn't it apply here?

It's not that we don't make choices.

We just don't have conscious control over our intentions and thoughts.

I could ask you to think of a worldwide city.

Let's say you pick London. You had no control over why you picked London and not Cairo. Your brains chemical reactions just picked London. ANd we have the illusion that we have control over our decisions.
eg. I choose to post in this thread and had control over that decision.
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Eedee » Dec 3rd, '12, 05:54

But what if I thought of both London and Cairo but decided to go with London instead?
mdemaz wrote:dam
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby CrashBand » Dec 3rd, '12, 05:56

Eedee wrote:But what if I thought of both London and Cairo but decided to go with London instead?

The same thing applies.

WHy didn't you go Cairo. Why didn't you think of other cities.

You didn't control why your intention was to pick London.
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Eedee » Dec 3rd, '12, 05:59

CrashBand wrote:
Eedee wrote:But what if I thought of both London and Cairo but decided to go with London instead?

The same thing applies.

Maybe I just like London? I'm not arguing with you, just trying to understand the full concept of what you're saying.

Oof. This is heavy, Doc.
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby CrashBand » Dec 3rd, '12, 06:02

Eedee wrote:
CrashBand wrote:

The same thing applies.

Maybe I just like London? I'm not arguing with you, just trying to understand the full concept of what you're saying.

Oof. This is heavy, Doc.

Yeah there is all these prior causes determining why you choose London. You must of heard of London before, etc.

But you can't control what makes your brain pick London over other places. Same as every decision. It just seems like we have total, free control over our decisions.
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Eedee » Dec 3rd, '12, 06:05

So basically every decision we make it based on prior events/experiences leading to subconscious preferences? For example, I've always wanted to go to Ireland but I haven't thought about it for a while, and someone asks me to pick a terrain and I say "green rolling hills" without even thinking.

A really shitty example, but that's the gist of what you're getting at?
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby CrashBand » Dec 3rd, '12, 06:08

Eedee wrote:So basically every decision we make it based on prior events/experiences leading to subconscious preferences? For example, I've always wanted to go to Ireland but I haven't thought about it for a while, and someone asks me to pick a terrain and I say "green rolling hills" without even thinking.

A really shitty example, but that's the gist of what you're getting at?

Yeah every decision is made in the unconscious. And we are just consciously experiencing/viewing the decision.

But you can think about it as long as you like. It doesn't have to be a quick decision.
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Eedee » Dec 3rd, '12, 06:10

Yep, thanks for giving me a new perspective. I appreciate it. I'll definitely try to figure this out. I'll get back to you in this thread if I think I got it haha. :y:
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby Willy » Dec 3rd, '12, 06:30

Boy 1 is a test boy. He is forced to press a red button every day which opens a door for a really strong guy to walk through and punch him in the face.

Boy 2 is a test boi. He is forced to press a blue button every day which opens a door for a really strong guy to walk through and punch him in the face.

The events described above happened for a year straight. Then:

Boy 1, the test boy, finds himself in a room where there are two buttons, red and blue, and he is forced to press one of them.

Boy 2, the test boi, finds himself in a room where there are two buttons, red and blue, and he is forced to press one of them.

Both boys ended up getting punched in the face that day.

They were color blind, and it wouldn't have mattered anyways because both buttons would have unlocked the door.

^

Now THAT'S how you do a bad example! FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!

Fuck Willou
Willy
Soldier
Soldier

Postby classthe_king » Dec 3rd, '12, 08:46

Wat
You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby CrashBand » Dec 3rd, '12, 08:49

Lol, that seemed like it had nothing to do with anything.
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby SliK » Dec 3rd, '12, 09:33

WilyMo021 wrote:Boy 1 is a test boy. He is forced to press a red button every day which opens a door for a really strong guy to walk through and punch him in the face.

Boy 2 is a test boi. He is forced to press a blue button every day which opens a door for a really strong guy to walk through and punch him in the face.

The events described above happened for a year straight. Then:

Boy 1, the test boy, finds himself in a room where there are two buttons, red and blue, and he is forced to press one of them.

Boy 2, the test boi, finds himself in a room where there are two buttons, red and blue, and he is forced to press one of them.

Both boys ended up getting punched in the face that day.

They were color blind, and it wouldn't have mattered anyways because both buttons would have unlocked the door.

^

Now THAT'S how you do a bad example! FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!!

Lol. Especially at "Both boys ended up getting punched in the face that day."
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Previous

Return to Serious Debate