The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Freewill debate.

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Freewill debate.

Postby CrashBand » Sep 13th, '12, 10:18

Would like to hear people's opinions.

Which position in the free will debate (libertarianism, determinism, indeterminism) is most plausible and why?

And is determinism compatible with free will?

In layman's terms do you think we have free will? and do you think free will is compatible with a deterministic world?

Wouldn't mind hearing Eminembase delve into the subject.
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Re: Freewill debate.

Postby Devil'sAdvocate » Sep 13th, '12, 10:32

we dont have free will,because we are all followers naturally.
The devil ain't on a level same as him!
Devil'sAdvocate
BOSS
BOSS

Postby CrashBand » Sep 15th, '12, 13:37

No one has any views on it then?
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby SliK » Sep 15th, '12, 14:32

Man I'm not about to write a fucking essay to properly cover the topic. Just be patient, EmBase will see it eventually.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby CrashBand » Sep 15th, '12, 14:57

Wish it was still a daily name search like in the forum's active days.
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby EminemBase » Sep 15th, '12, 21:57

This is definitely an interesting discussion that I've thought a lot about over the years, and particularly honed in on and struggled with in the past year especially; will add my own thoughts to this discussion soon.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Postby CrashBand » Sep 16th, '12, 05:03

^Looking forward to it.
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby classthe_king » Sep 18th, '12, 15:51

I 100% believe that we have freewill and think the B.F. Skinner approach that we're just rats in a cage and don't make any of our own choices is completely wrong and will forever argue against it.
You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby CrashBand » Sep 19th, '12, 00:03

^ Free will is an illusion tbh.
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Eedee » Sep 19th, '12, 02:26

Are we talking about a world with or without God? Obviously the God I'm talking about is hypothetical here.

But with God (again, if he exists), then no.

Without God, then I really don't know. Perhaps. I haven't really researched it much. But I do that if God exists, then we don't.
mdemaz wrote:dam
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby SliK » Sep 19th, '12, 12:01

Eedee wrote:...

But with God (again, if he exists), then no.

... But I do that if God exists, then we don't.

Why are you assuming, if there is a God, that it must control everything? Just because religion says it is omnipotent and omniscient doesn't mean that only one of the two following is possible: that God either exists and IS as religions claim or that it doesn't exist at all... It means that there could be a God, there could be no God, there could be multiple gods, and they could all be EXTREMELY, uncomprehensibly powerful... and still not omnipotent. Or any other number of examples that would mean there is a God, but one that is NOT in line with any religion... and therefor not capable of or interested in controlling every move. Maybe there is an omnipotent and omniscient God that has granted us all free will. After all, if he is omnipotent as religions claim, he can do anything.

So to say what you just said is incorrect.

Anyway, it's much more interesting to explore this concept on a psychological and social level, rather than a religious one.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby classthe_king » Sep 19th, '12, 12:32

CrashBand wrote:^ Free will is an illusion tbh.

No it's not.
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby CrashBand » Sep 19th, '12, 13:25

classthe_king wrote:

No it's not.

Lol. Go on..

How do we have free will?
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby classthe_king » Sep 19th, '12, 15:30

CrashBand wrote:
classthe_king wrote:

No it's not.

Lol. Go on..

How do we have free will?

How do we not have free will? We can do anything we want all the time. Of course because of the way our society is set up you SHOULD get a job and eduction to make money but that doesn't mean you HAVE to. And you have the free will to go about that anyway possible. You SHOULDN'T go around murdering everyone but you can if you WANT to.

Einstein thought the universe was deterministic, what you eat for lunch ten years from now has already been decided, but Einstein was wrong. Quantum physics shows that at the quantum level everything is completely random. You have no idea where the electrons are, it could be anywhere at anytime and jumps all over. This brings in variance and unpredictability and therefore leads to freewill.
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby CrashBand » Sep 19th, '12, 23:09

classthe_king wrote:How do we not have free will? We can do anything we want all the time. Of course because of the way our society is set up you SHOULD get a job and eduction to make money but that doesn't mean you HAVE to. And you have the free will to go about that anyway possible.

No we can't. We aren't free to do anything possible. We are confined to the laws of physics.

We can take different paths and choices but they are all subject to the laws of physics and the state of the universe. If we cannot change the laws of physics or the state of the universe then we are not truly free to do anything possible, are we champ?

Einstein thought the universe was deterministic, what you eat for lunch ten years from now has already been decided, but Einstein was wrong. Quantum physics shows that at the quantum level everything is completely random. You have no idea where the electrons are, it could be anywhere at anytime and jumps all over. This brings in variance and unpredictability and therefore leads to freewill.

Um no, not at all. An indeterminstic world gives no more room for free will than a determinsitic world. It certainly doesn't "lead to free will".
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Next

Return to Serious Debate