The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Morality is Innate, not from Religion

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Morality is Innate, not from Religion

Postby EminemBase » Sep 28th, '12, 05:24

This was like a test video I made a while back, for my upcoming site The Atheist Movement...

PART 2 | PART 3 | PART 4

I think it's an interesting discussion, thoughts?

(Also thoughts on the video if possible; these videos are from over a year ago now, but I was planning on making ton; is the video boring? do I sound engaging or embarrassing?)
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Re: Morality is Innate, not from Religion

Postby Willy » Sep 28th, '12, 05:27

Watching now. I wish I could grow that kind of facial hair, my shit's wack as fuck.

EDIT. LMAO @ when you actually start cringing when you talk about religious people. Too funny, lol.

EDIT2. Finished the first video. You definitely come across as someone that knows his shit, though you go off on a few tangents. It's like, watching an Eminembase forum post while you're typing and editing it, your thought process is more apparent and unfiltered. And it's not a bad thing, the Religious tangent was definitely hilarious. The black screens detailing the topic you are talking about were a good addition and prods your discussion along.

Overall, good shit manigga. :happy:

Fuck Willou
Willy
Soldier
Soldier

Postby CrashBand » Sep 28th, '12, 06:26

Ignoring the content and regarding the video.

You are engaging at times. But I even noticed this with your other video's - you repeat yourself too much.

Sometimes there were funny premises in those videos that you drove to the ground
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby EminemBase » Sep 28th, '12, 06:43

CrashBand wrote:Ignoring the content and regarding the video.

You are engaging at times. But I even noticed this with your other video's - you repeat yourself too much.

Sometimes there were funny premises in those videos that you drove to the ground

Yep I definitely repeat myself repeat myself repeat myself...

I need to learn to just nail points in one or two perspectives and not keep going over; it's kind of like that because I just pressed record and talked aimlessly...

I think the site could be interesting though.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Postby Willy » Sep 28th, '12, 07:02

^Just use more edits and memorize what you're going to say if that's what you are going for. It's all in what you want though, I enjoyed it for what it was.

lol what a strange set of sentences.

Fuck Willou
Willy
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Eedee » Sep 29th, '12, 03:16

I have to go eat, I'll check this when I get back but I do have time to ask if you addressed this point?

When you read something in the Bible and see that it's morally disgusting (the rape thing), yet we get our morals from the Bible (apparently) then if you see something in the Bible that's morally repugnant, that means you have your own set of morals separate from the Bible... I don't think I explained that quite as elegant as some, but if you get my drift, does that make sense, EB?
mdemaz wrote:dam
Eedee
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop
Eye-Raping-Fudgepop

Postby EminemBase » Sep 29th, '12, 04:51

Eedee wrote:I have to go eat, I'll check this when I get back but I do have time to ask if you addressed this point?

When you read something in the Bible and see that it's morally disgusting (the rape thing), yet we get our morals from the Bible (apparently) then if you see something in the Bible that's morally repugnant, that means you have your own set of morals separate from the Bible... I don't think I explained that quite as elegant as some, but if you get my drift, does that make sense, EB?

Yep, I believe that's one of the points I made in this video and a point which has been made by others; that illustrates that people of religion don't get their morals from the thing of which they judge (what are they using to judge or moralize, how can it be the thing that they are judging lmao) - but I think it's obvious in many other ways that nobody gets their morality from religion.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Postby BigBoss » Sep 29th, '12, 05:20

You remind me of Sheldon, Mr. Cooper.
RIP IN PEACE VIGILANCE
BigBoss
Role Model
Role Model

Postby CrashBand » Sep 29th, '12, 07:54

BigBoss wrote:You remind me of Sheldon, Mr. Cooper.

Ouch
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby EminemBase » Oct 11th, '12, 13:35

You remind Sheldon, Mr. Cooper of me.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Postby BigBoss » Oct 11th, '12, 16:58

EminemBase wrote:

You remind Sheldon, Mr. Cooper of me.

We were both grammatically incorrect tbh.
RIP IN PEACE VIGILANCE
BigBoss
Role Model
Role Model

Postby iHeart » Feb 8th, '13, 19:30

This is a really complex subject but here it goes.

I think when religious people speak about morality, they are most likely referring to social types and character acts of morality rather than a very internal 'feeling' (conscience/intention etc)
You spoke about the closeness of family on a pure level but once upon a time, there was no sense of 'right' or 'wrong' in terms of differentiating a sibling type of love from a potential partner, we had incestuous relations, unbound by natural morality but rather tamed by social order and structure; yes, deriving from the religious teachings of morality in later texts, in specific, Islam. This may raise the question of well, 'is incest unnatural?'...If we strip away any social laws or acceptability, what would our morality tell us without influence? Is it possible to still solidify your morality without influence?

It's quite funny to read religious texts and discover the supposed justifiable acts of immorality by suggestion of rape, violence and incest- which would have us grasping if acted out now and yet, they remain in the mindset that religion is moral and those who do not subscribe to X belief are therefore, immoral. What a way to completely offend the capabilities of a human being. -__-

We are now gifted with the knowledge of our own natural moral compass that acts almost like an internal alarm bell to 'guide' us, so... Is religion necessary or linked to morality nowadays? No, I don't think it is. I don't think it's required as we have (fortunately)evolved and progressed as humans, into much more aware and intelligent beings.
“There are not more than five musical notes, yet the combinations of these five give rise to more melodies that can ever be heard.
There are not more than five primary colours, yet in combination
they produce more hues than can ever been seen.
There are not more than five cardinal tastes, yet combinations of
them yield more flavours than can ever be tasted.”
iHeart
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Postby tadpole25 » Feb 22nd, '13, 06:22

Morality doesn't factually exist. It is only an illusion to assert power and alleviate guilt.
"I take yall diss as endearment - I love it when I hear it
Maybe words offensive - free speech I don't fear it
Maybe music can take us to a place so atmospheric
Beyond our greatest imagination, illuminatin' experience
If we open our ears and close our inhibitions, it's clear"
- Tadpole
tadpole25
Soldier
Soldier

Postby EminemBase » Feb 23rd, '13, 07:09

tadpole25 wrote:Morality doesn't factually exist. It is only an illusion to assert power and alleviate guilt.

No it's not.

Morality is an upshot of empathy and self-awareness. Being conscious of our own existence also allows us to be conscious of the existence of another, and with that - we extend the empathy and consideration we place on ourselves and wish to have, onto others.

Throughout history - our reach and application of this emotional and intellectual consideration has simply gotten more and more sophisticated. First there was racial divide, we divided and applied empathy based on racial division, then as we grew together, we realized that all humans are humans, all have emotions and needs and desires and that dividing rights by race is immoral.

As time goes on, we simply do this more and more.

Race, height, weight, disability, class, and now - other species.

Morality is simply consideration and care we place onto ourselves; directed onto others. A serial killer can indiscriminately kill because they often have no empathy, they have an undeveloped sense of emotion or empathetic reach, they cannot extend the concept of care beyond themselves. This is a mental, biological issue though, which is why it's retarded to treat serial killers as 'criminals', they don't do what they do for gain so there's no such thing as a deterrent - it's a latent fascination they discover when they realize they want to enact violent urges and have no empathetic drawback to doing so, as described by others. We all have the odd violent urge or thought but our empathy keeps us in check, we all mostly have to be pushed quite far to disregard it.

It's not a concept, it's just empathy. And we apply that to concepts such as possession, violence, injustice, personal disagreement, and the most sophisticated we get as a society, the larger this reach goes, which is why we are getting more and more sensitive. Notice how lately it can be national headlines for someone to be 'offended' or say something rude on Twitter?

Seems completely ridiculous doesn't it? But that's simply because of what I'm saying, is what's happening. The more we mingle, the more we relate, the more we talk, the more open and talkative we all become with each other... the less walls are in place for us to extend deeper and deeper empathetic consideration to each other. The basis for all morality, and an innate function.
EminemBase
Addict
Addict

Postby iHeart » Feb 24th, '13, 07:40

"they don't do what they do for gain so there's no such thing as a deterrent"

There is gain in what they do. It's self satisfying, it's a selfish fulfillment of desire.
There might not be a personal reason towards the victim, but certainly personal gain.

"A serial killer can indiscriminately kill because they often have no empathy"

They are discriminative and target certain people, mostly women....certain races or small children.

Morality doesn't factually exist. It is only an illusion to assert power and alleviate guilt.

Morality does exist. It's part of conscience.
“There are not more than five musical notes, yet the combinations of these five give rise to more melodies that can ever be heard.
There are not more than five primary colours, yet in combination
they produce more hues than can ever been seen.
There are not more than five cardinal tastes, yet combinations of
them yield more flavours than can ever be tasted.”
iHeart
Closet Cleaner
Closet Cleaner

Next

Return to Serious Debate