The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Kids getting tattoos?

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Kids getting tattoos?

Postby Amaranthine » Oct 8th, '12, 22:16

I just read an article on this...

If your pre-teen wanted a tattoo, would you let her get one? A North Carolina mom who moonlights as a tattoo artist figured it would be fine, and now she's in trouble with police for giving her 11-year-old daughter a tattoo.

"She asked me to do it," 30-year-old Odessa Clay, who sports plenty of her own body art, told WCTI-TV. The tattoo is of a small heart near the girl's right shoulder.

Clay told the TV station that she thought minors could get tattoos as long as their parents approved; given that she's the girl's mother, she didn't think it would be a problem. Clay, who also hangs drywall and sells Mary Kay products, according to her public Facebook page, said that she used her own tattoo instruments and numbed her daughter's arm before permanently drawing on the outline of a heart.

"I didn't fill it in," she said, adding that the girl was not in any pain.

Given that she inked her daughter last year, but wasn't arrested until late September, Clay says that she thinks a former in-law told police about her daughter's body art in retaliation for the police report that Clay filed recently against her daughter's paternal grandfather. Clay is due in court next month to face a single count of tattooing a person under the age of 18, and has not been charged with child abuse.

At least her daughter's tattoo is tiny. In June, a 13-year-old boy in Washington state went on a trip with a family friend and returned with a 6-inch tattoo of a dragon on his chest.

"The parents were not happy about it," police told The Associated Press. "The parents would not have allowed or condoned it."

Almost every state requires parental permission in order to tattoo a minor; in North Carolina and 13 other states, kids under age 18 can't get tattoos even if their parents do approve. (You can find a state-by-state listing of body art regulations here.) The reasoning is that kids, no matter how savvy they seem, aren't mature enough to make life-altering decisions on their own.

Earlier this year, Chuntera Napier was arrested in Georgia and charged with child cruelty and being party to a crime after she allowed her 10-year-old son, Gaquan, to get a tattoo in honor of his late brother.

"I always thought if a parent gives consent, then it's fine," Napier said in January. "How can somebody else say it's not OK? He's my child, and I have a right to say what I want for my child."

Source

And I think it's bullshit. If the parents are cool with it, I see absolutely no reason why kids can't get tattoos. Their argument that "kids are mature enough to make life-altering decisions on their own" is invalid because if parental permission is required, as it is in states that allow minors to get tattoos, they aren't making that decision on their own! Total bullshit.
You should read this.
I break my back to give you my art, you steal my thoughts
It's like driving a spike through my heart

Geno wrote:I don't wanna have a kid with Zabe tbh.
Amaranthine
Band Leader
Band Leader

Re: Kids getting tattoos?

Postby classthe_king » Oct 8th, '12, 22:27

Kids aren't intellectually mature enough to think in the long term and know whether a tattoo is something they'll want for the rest of their life. No one under 16 should be getting a tattoo imo.
You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby BigBoss » Oct 8th, '12, 22:29

As long as its ok with parents then whatever.

And as long as its not something huge when their young, for example all she did on her daughter was a little heart on the upper shoulder. That sounds fine, but nothing more than after that tbh
RIP IN PEACE VIGILANCE
BigBoss
Role Model
Role Model

Postby ChristinaE12 » Oct 9th, '12, 00:00

I don't think any kid or teen are mature enough to really get one. Hell, most adults can't even do something they like 10 years down the road.

With that said if the parents are okay with it I don't think anyone should say no then. It's not my choice and shouldn't be. Or anyone else but the ones involved. My step daughter
will probably get one when she turns 16. Its her choice and body.

Also, by the time kids right now are older, getting tattoos removed would probably be nothing to get done.
"If Life's a bitch and revenge is sweet... I'm the sweetest bitch you'll ever meet."

ChristinaE12
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Spyder » Oct 9th, '12, 00:21

eh, 14. thats when you can have sex with parents permission so a tattoo at that age makes sense.
ImageImageImage
Spyder
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby classthe_king » Oct 9th, '12, 02:19

Menzo wrote:
classthe_king wrote:Kids aren't intellectually mature enough to think in the long term and know whether a tattoo is something they'll want for the rest of their life. No one under 16 should be getting a tattoo imo.

Agreed. Hell, I'm 20 and have thought of potential tattoo ideas but still feel very unsure over it because I don't believe anything significant enough has happened for me to get one, let alone at 11.

Yeah, honestly I don't think you can make a well thought out decision about a tattoo until you're at least out of college but realistically you can't let someone vote and serve in the army but not be able to get a tattoo.
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby Spyder » Oct 9th, '12, 02:38

i guess im bias because im soon to have my third.

but yes theyre permanent but its not like HAVE to have some deep inner meaning. can just be a design you love. theyre really not that big a deal
ImageImageImage
Spyder
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby CrashBand » Oct 9th, '12, 02:54

classthe_king wrote:Kids aren't intellectually mature enough to think in the long term and know whether a tattoo is something they'll want for the rest of their life. No one under 16 should be getting a tattoo imo.

That's why you need a parent's permission.
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Blu » Oct 9th, '12, 03:21

Yeah, it's totally fine to let little children get tattoos! Oh yeah, let's let that 13 year old girl get a butterfly on her cheek, she's DEFINITELY not going to regret that in her later years. :coffee:
Almostlity wrote:Grow up faggots

EminemInsider wrote:Jesus Christ, HOW FUCKING STUPID ARE YOU PEOPLE?!?!?!?!?!
Blu
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Amaranthine » Oct 9th, '12, 03:36

Blu wrote:Yeah, it's totally fine to let little children get tattoos! Oh yeah, let's let that 13 year old girl get a butterfly on her cheek, she's DEFINITELY not going to regret that in her later years. :coffee:

:facepalm And what parent is going to approve that?
You should read this.
I break my back to give you my art, you steal my thoughts
It's like driving a spike through my heart

Geno wrote:I don't wanna have a kid with Zabe tbh.
Amaranthine
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby AbramIsaac » Oct 9th, '12, 03:40

It may not be a good idea, but to have it be illegal seems like a bit of an over step of government authority.

I don't have any, myself.
"America...just a nation of two hundred million used car salesmen with all the money we need to buy guns and no qualms about killing anybody else in the world who tries to make us uncomfortable" — Hunter S. Thompson

"Poison the well, your enemies are thirsty!" — Modest Mouse
Jesus Christ wrote:Fuck all South Pacific island and island-continents.
AbramIsaac
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby classthe_king » Oct 9th, '12, 03:49

Amaranthine wrote:
Blu wrote:Yeah, it's totally fine to let little children get tattoos! Oh yeah, let's let that 13 year old girl get a butterfly on her cheek, she's DEFINITELY not going to regret that in her later years. :coffee:

:facepalm And what parent is going to approve that?

There are absolutely terrible parents in America that would totally approve of that :unsure:
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby Spyder » Oct 9th, '12, 04:55

ya man some fuckin parents are either bad as far as beating them or neglect
then some like let em drink and smoke at 16 and buy em condoms at 12 tryin to be their friend
but will probably fuck them up socially later on
ImageImageImage
Spyder
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby CrashBand » Oct 9th, '12, 04:57

AbramIsaac wrote:It may not be a good idea, but to have it be illegal seems like a bit of an over step of government authority.

I don't have any, myself.

How liberal are you? Just out of curiosity.
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Fleka » Oct 9th, '12, 19:53

I agree.
When I was 16 I wanted The Way I Am chorus on my forearm. Back then it was the coolest thing ever. I`m 28 now and thank you God and the heavens I never did it.
Fleka
Role Model
Role Model

Next

Return to Serious Debate