The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Should voting be mandatory?

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Should voting be mandatory?

Postby SliK » Oct 17th, '12, 14:05

Voting is mandatory in Australia. Every citizen who doesn't vote receives a fine. I am in two minds as to whether or not this is a good thing.
I am leaning toward it being a bad thing. There are many uninformed members of the public, who really don't know what is best or who can give it to them. A lot of people blame the current state of the country (which is actually very good compared to countries like America and Britan. We survived the recession and our economy is strong, comparatively) on the current government, rather than global circumstances.
A lot of ignorant people wouldn't vote if they didn't have to. A lot of uninformed people, who know they are uninformed and not in a position to make a legitimate decision would choose not to vote rather than voting just to avoid a fine.
Teenagers are made to vote... 18, 19 year olds who don't give a shit have to vote, and they number the ballet 1,2,3,4,5,6 just to avoid a fine. That vote still counts though.
However, most of the country votes, like 90% of everyone that can vote. There is no need to try to get people down to the voting booths on Election Day because everyone knows they have to vote. If everyone was made to vote in America the results of Elections could be drastically different.

What do you think? Should voting be mandatory for every citizen? Why/Why not?
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Re: Should voting be mandatory?

Postby SajN » Oct 17th, '12, 14:27

To vote for a party or a person, is a privilege one have in a democratic society. It's their own freedom to decide whether they should vote or not. Once you start forcing everyone to vote, it isn't that much freedom, is it?

What if someone doesn't know who to vote for? That person is split between two parties, maybe even three. But he has to vote, and therefore maybe picks the "wrong" one (if is unsure who to for), and that party will get an extra (and maybe undeserved) vote.

People should be aware of the different parties and their plans though, through campaigns, meetings and such.

My strongest point is the first one, but the second is also connected to it.

Oh, also... as I said, to vote is a privilegium one have, and if some decide not to vote, they shouldn't really complain if a party they don't like gets chosen. It was their own choice to not vote, and maybe make difference, but they didn't.

I am against voting being mandatory.
! Is He Nuts? No, He's InSajN !
SajN
The Almighty
The Almighty

Postby ChristinaE12 » Oct 17th, '12, 16:17

Definitely should not be mandatory. I think it should be more earned than anything. Cause, as you even said.. People will just be checking boxes as opposed to actually reading up and informing themselves and voting with who's views they are closest with.

We already have way too many uneducated idiots who are allowed to vote and shouldn't. They'll just go with what's popular or whatever. Make everyone vote and this problem will multiply.
"If Life's a bitch and revenge is sweet... I'm the sweetest bitch you'll ever meet."

ChristinaE12
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Kill You » Oct 17th, '12, 19:41

No, but if you don't vote then you have NO reason to bitch about who becomes elected.
"I guess this shit took an unexpected twist like the neck of the fricken Exorcist!"

#TeamEezus
#TeamJennifer

Kill You
Pill Popper
Pill Popper

Postby Blu » Oct 18th, '12, 06:41

That sounds pretty dumb.
Almostlity wrote:Grow up faggots

EminemInsider wrote:Jesus Christ, HOW FUCKING STUPID ARE YOU PEOPLE?!?!?!?!?!
Blu
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby Amaranthine » Oct 18th, '12, 06:47

Kill You wrote:No, but if you don't vote then you have NO reason to bitch about who becomes elected.

:y:

If voting was mandadory...well, there are way too many people who are ignorant about politics and would end up essentially flipping a coin.
You should read this.
I break my back to give you my art, you steal my thoughts
It's like driving a spike through my heart

Geno wrote:I don't wanna have a kid with Zabe tbh.
Amaranthine
Band Leader
Band Leader

Postby B.A.D. » Oct 18th, '12, 07:06

depends on the Boobies I think
B.A.D.
Dr.Dre
Dr.Dre

Postby Atone » Oct 18th, '12, 07:31

Nope

Free country, if they MAKE us vote, that's just unconstitutional
Atone
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby SliK » Oct 18th, '12, 08:23

Remember, Australia only has a population of 21M (including non voters). If voting wasn't mandatory could you imagine how few people would turn out to vote?
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby CrashBand » Oct 18th, '12, 08:31

I remember hearing a statistic in New Zealand we have a higher percentage that vote and voting isn't compulsory here.

What are any good reasons that you can think to make it compulsory?

If someone isn't interested in politics, they shouldn't be forced to vote, imo.
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby SliK » Oct 18th, '12, 08:48

If it wasn't for mandatory voting I wouldn't have taken it upon myself to become informed. I felt a responsibility to make an informed decision, and that is pushed quite heavily here.
I put a blank ballet paper in the box the first couple of times I voted, so it's not like every single person who gets their name marked off makes a difference; a lot of people do that to avoiding voting for someone. That maybe defeats the point of having mandatory voting though...
I think it should be mandatory, but they should teach it (impartially) in high schools so people are ready to make a decision that is best for them. If they force you to vote and force you to learn what is best for you, they would ensure every citizen is going to the voting booth aware of the parties and what they stand for.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby B.A.D. » Oct 19th, '12, 03:00

wait, is it mandatory in Australia?... I've never been forced to vote in here or anything like that. Maybe its because there's too much boobies in here
B.A.D.
Dr.Dre
Dr.Dre

Postby SliK » Oct 19th, '12, 03:01

B.A.D. wrote:wait, is it mandatory in Australia?... I've never been forced to vote in here or anything like that. Maybe its because there's too much boobies in here

It certainly is.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Guess_Who » Oct 19th, '12, 13:59

^^ lol.

I think it should never be mandatory. Basically what Christina said in the page 1. I could repeat the same in broken English but I feel lazy. Enough people who shouldn't vote are voting already. :coffee:
In the land of the killers, a sinner's mind is a sanctum.

Guess_Who
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby NextEpisode » Oct 19th, '12, 20:38

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill

^
Truth!
NextEpisode
Soldier
Soldier

Next

Return to Serious Debate