The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Morals

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Re: Morals

Postby Minimii » Dec 21st, '12, 00:24

Morals cant be universal. Without humans they wouldnt even exist at least not how we see them.
And what if through GM, usage of certain hormones or w/e we would be able to breed human species that wouldnt be capable of empathy, or wouldnt feel that mindlessly massacring people was wrong. Then it simply wouldnt be wrong.
Everything is relative. But in my mind we can still judge other cultures from our culture. We cant judge the people from other cultures behaving like their culture dictates however.
Cause you'll never take my pride from me
It'll have to be bribed from me"
- marshall "sellout" mathers
Minimii
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby SliK » Dec 21st, '12, 07:38

If actions can't be right or wrong how can we judge their cultures?
Do you mean on a strictly logical sense, basing your judgement on what is best for the species?
But then, what is best? Killing the weak so the race grows stronger, or caring for the weak so everyone is valued?
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Minimii » Dec 22nd, '12, 02:28

SliK wrote:If actions can't be right or wrong how can we judge their cultures?
Do you mean on a strictly logical sense, basing your judgement on what is best for the species?

Exactly.
SliK wrote:But then, what is best? Killing the weak so the race grows stronger, or caring for the weak so everyone is valued?

No one can say objectively what is best. I can only say what i think is the best and do my best to achieve it. Someone else might think that something else is for the best and does his best to achieve that.
The one who manages to convince more people "wins".
Minimii
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Willy » Dec 22nd, '12, 02:36

Because we are human, we feel that massacring people is wrong. We have evolved as social animals that work together in order to survive, and our moral philosophies reflect this.

Fuck Willou
Willy
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Minimii » Dec 22nd, '12, 02:42

Willy wrote:Because we are human, we feel that massacring people is wrong. We have evolved as social animals that work together in order to survive, and our moral philosophies reflect this.

Not necessarily. Did Hitler feel like massacring jews was wrong? Or does a taleban soldier necessarily feel that killing every heretic on the planet would be wrong?
I feel that peer pressure, culture and the way we were raised has more impact than our genes or anything biological.
Minimii
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Willy » Dec 22nd, '12, 03:22

There will be outliers of course.. but most of us are programmed with a moral outlook stemming from empathy. Our laws, the way we act, peer pressure, culture, and the way we are raised are all reflective of this.

You can't objectively say what is best, but you can't objectively ignore this either.

Fuck Willou
Willy
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Minimii » Dec 23rd, '12, 02:53

Willy wrote:There will be outliers of course.. but most of us are programmed with a moral outlook stemming from empathy. Our laws, the way we act, peer pressure, culture, and the way we are raised are all reflective of this.

You can't objectively say what is best, but you can't objectively ignore this either.

This would still mean that only from average human's point of view something is bad or isnt, not objectively, there isnt things like "goodness" or "badness" floating around the universe .
Of course there is biological basis to every culture but there are lot of things that separate the morals of different cultures, eg who you see as a person with human value and something like that.
Minimii
Trailer Trash
Trailer Trash

Postby Willy » Dec 23rd, '12, 03:51

I understand what you are saying, there is no such thing as good or bad outside of human perception because it's of our invention. I'm assuming you are an atheist.. but yeah, I agree.

Would you consider this statement to be objectively true?: Anatomically, humans have two arms and two legs. If so, I would argue that some humans are born with one leg, or eight legs, and they should still be considered human. There will be outliers, but that doesn't change the fact that they are human. Same thing applies to morality, there will be people that aren't capable of feeling emotions.. but the majority of us are wired the same way.

Fuck Willou
Willy
Soldier
Soldier

Postby CrashBand » Dec 23rd, '12, 05:24

Minimii wrote:there isnt things like "goodness" or "badness" floating around the universe.

Yes there is :coffee:
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Previous

Return to Serious Debate