The TRshady Forum became read-only in December 2014. The 10 year history will live on, in this archive.
Continue the discussion with the new home for the Eminem and Hip Hop discussion: HipHopShelter.com.

Morals

Fellow ladies and fella Master-Debaters, discuss serious topics.

Re: Morals

Postby classthe_king » Nov 27th, '12, 14:45

God said that murder is wrong and that's why we should not do it
You think your personal attacks make up for what you lack?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby SliK » Nov 27th, '12, 16:40

CrashBand wrote:
SliK wrote:From a "survival" attitude - and lets face it, the meaning of life is simply to survive so that we may pass on our genetic material and ensure the survival of the species - we should only not do an action that is detrimental to our species. Nothing else matters, really. Even the well being of a few million animals, or even people, mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. If you consider the insignificance of an emotion in the vast infinity of time and space, really the only thing that matters is survival, if for no other reason than to marvel at the utterly astounding fact that life exists.

I have different morals to you then.

And I think you are committing the naturalistic fallacy.

I don't think I did. I'm saying the purpose of any species is to pass on their genetic material.
Humans really did get too smart for their own good. Moral dilemmas have caused our genetics to become fucked up. We keep the weak alive long enough to procreate and even transplant organs from dead people into those who are not (quite).
Of course, I'm not saying it's wrong... Just that if we had no morality, or empathy, we would be a stronger race because it really would be survival of the fittest.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby CrashBand » Nov 27th, '12, 17:16

SliK wrote:
CrashBand wrote:
SliK wrote:From a "survival" attitude - and lets face it, the meaning of life is simply to survive so that we may pass on our genetic material and ensure the survival of the species - we should only not do an action that is detrimental to our species. Nothing else matters, really. Even the well being of a few million animals, or even people, mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. If you consider the insignificance of an emotion in the vast infinity of time and space, really the only thing that matters is survival, if for no other reason than to marvel at the utterly astounding fact that life exists.

I have different morals to you then.

And I think you are committing the naturalistic fallacy.

I don't think I did. I'm saying the purpose of any species is to pass on their genetic material.
Humans really did get too smart for their own good. Moral dilemmas have caused our genetics to become fucked up. We keep the weak alive long enough to procreate and even transplant organs from dead people into those who are not (quite).
Of course, I'm not saying it's wrong... Just that if we had no morality, or empathy, we would be a stronger race because it really would be survival of the fittest.

You should join forces with Hitler SliK
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby classthe_king » Nov 27th, '12, 18:07

I used to think like SliK did, stopping the weak from reproducing to increase the gene pool. Then I came to the conclusion that it all really doesn't matter and that everyone should just live and enjoy life whether they are smart, dumb, weak or strong. Humans got smart enough to realize there is more to life than just passing on genes to offspring.
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby CrashBand » Nov 27th, '12, 18:09

Yeah. I think just because we are lucky enough to be born smarter / better looking / stronger then someone else doesn't mean we should not help those less fortunate.

I think we should show compassion.
I'm not tryin to be rude, but I sincerely wanna fuck the taste out of your mouth
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby classthe_king » Nov 27th, '12, 18:25

CrashBand wrote:Yeah. I think just because we are lucky enough to be born smarter / better looking / stronger then someone else doesn't mean we should not help those less fortunate.

Yeah I think if everybody cared about one another and tried to help each other out then everyone would be a lot better off. People think that they always need to look out for themselves but if everybody looked out for everybody then you would have the whole world helping you as opposed to only you helping yourself.
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby SliK » Nov 28th, '12, 01:00

Human nature doesn't allow us to be selfless like that.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that we shouldn't help the sick/weak. It's merely an observation that we have weakened our gene pool.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby CrashBand » Nov 28th, '12, 01:17

SliK wrote:Human nature doesn't allow us to be selfless like that.
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that we shouldn't help the sick/weak. It's merely an observation that we have weakened our gene pool.

Yeah, I go back to the "is-ought" conundrum though.
CrashBand
Role Model
Role Model

Postby Rollimeo » Dec 1st, '12, 07:53

classthe_king wrote:
CrashBand wrote:Yeah. I think just because we are lucky enough to be born smarter / better looking / stronger then someone else doesn't mean we should not help those less fortunate.

Yeah I think if everybody cared about one another and tried to help each other out then everyone would be a lot better off. People think that they always need to look out for themselves but if everybody looked out for everybody then you would have the whole world helping you as opposed to only you helping yourself.

word to that
I want to start next month by being as positive as possible and just help my fellow human beings when possible
Rollimeo
Soldier
Soldier

Postby classthe_king » Dec 1st, '12, 16:53

Rollimeo wrote:
classthe_king wrote:

word to that
I want to start next month by being as positive as possible and just help my fellow human beings when possible

Why not start today?
classthe_king
Addict
Addict

Postby EG. » Dec 1st, '12, 17:04

Golden rule.
EG.
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Willy » Dec 1st, '12, 22:16

Morality is a tool that helps/helped us survive as animals with intelligence. That's why despite signs of moral relativism, there are universal laws that seem to exist in societies everywhere. Killing is usually pretty bad, rape is pretty bad, stealing, etc.. as these things are typically counterproductive to a social environment that allows us to work together and survive.

Fuck Willou
Willy
Soldier
Soldier

Postby SliK » Dec 2nd, '12, 07:15

WilyMo021 wrote:Morality is a tool that helps/helped us survive as animals with intelligence. That's why despite signs of moral relativism, there are universal laws that seem to exist in societies everywhere. Killing is usually pretty bad, rape is pretty bad, stealing, etc.. as these things are typically counterproductive to a social environment that allows us to work together and survive.

Rape and murder are both very, very common.
SliK
Under The Influence
Under The Influence

Postby Willy » Dec 2nd, '12, 07:19

SliK wrote:
WilyMo021 wrote:Morality is a tool that helps/helped us survive as animals with intelligence. That's why despite signs of moral relativism, there are universal laws that seem to exist in societies everywhere. Killing is usually pretty bad, rape is pretty bad, stealing, etc.. as these things are typically counterproductive to a social environment that allows us to work together and survive.

Rape and murder are both very, very common.

Common in the sense that societies are typically against it.. Yeah, I agree. What's your point?

Fuck Willou
Willy
Soldier
Soldier

Postby Rollimeo » Dec 2nd, '12, 07:24

classthe_king wrote:
Rollimeo wrote:word to that

Why not start today?

the only reason I didn't start today was cause I am from Arizona and since we don't do the daylight saving stuff here so it was still November
but yeah I have started today now
and it feels great so far
Last edited by Rollimeo on Dec 2nd, '12, 11:04, edited 1 time in total.
Rollimeo
Soldier
Soldier

PreviousNext

Return to Serious Debate